Need a new battery.......What's the latest and greatest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this will spur a LOT of opinions; however, I'd rather this not turn into a pissing match.

I've got two pair of Lightforce on top of the rig and that's about it as far as extras at the moment.

No winch.

Like my new unit to be as bullet proof as possible. The Panasonic is still good but I suspect it's time. Hard time turning over in the cold nowadays. I hear it's a size 35. ?

Read less than stellar things about the supposed superiority of the Optimas. Whatever I pick up MUST fit w/o any mods to cables or other wiring. The red top 34R is supposed to be a good fit @ 34/78. I reckon the 34 is the size (?) not sure what the 78 indicates.

Thanks again to all....

Optima quality has taken a nose dive (personal experience & battery shop guys will echo it). I currently run a Sears Diehard Platinum and have had it in for 2.5yrs now. I have a full time ARB fridge (was a WAECO before) and accessory lights, compressor.

IIRC 34 and 78 are the same size but the 78 has side terminals. But if you intend to run equipment while camping I would get as big as can fit, Group 31 if possible (and I think they will fit an FJ but verify before buying).

Optimas are good AGM batteries, people are down on them but they have worked through a lot of issues they had after moving production to Mexico some years ago. But the king right now is Odyssey (or the Sears Platinum made by Odyssey).

But if you really want to be cutting edge, get one of the new generation Lithium-ion Iron Phosphate batteries. http://www.starkpower.com/spnews/starterbatteries/
Up to 80% less weight and size for same power, can do over 3,000 discharge cycles (vs. 150-300 for lead-acid), and can discharge to near zero without damage (vs. 50% for lead acid) so you don't need as large an amp-hour rated battery for the same tasks.

I hope Optima is on an upswing, but after my Panasonic died, I had 3 yellow tops that barely lasted more than a year, replaced under warranty each time until Napa said "no more". That's when I put the Diehard in. My wife's 4R had a red top that only lasted 2yrs - it died last week. We put a cheap "Duracell" branded battery [from BatteriesPlus] in it for now, just to be frugal and didn't have time to do a lot of shopping.

I have had a red top that lasted 7 years and a yellow top that has lasted 5 years so far.

It is worth noting that many "dead" Optimas aren't really dead and can be revived with special charging procedures.

But my main complaint about Optimas is with their design. Their special "spiral cell" configuration result in sort of a "six pack" arrangement that effectively reduces the internal case volume available for the cells, resulting in lower capacity compared to the same size battery with a conventional rectangular case. For example, a group 31 Optima has a 75 amp hour capacity, while an Odyssey has 100 amp hours. Sometimes this isn't all that important, but when you are looking for maximum capacity in a house/auxiliary battery that 25 ah difference is major.

I got 8 yrs (Jan/07 build truck) out of the Panasonic and it was working when I replaced it late Fall 14 ... just didn't think it would last through the winter, and as it turned out it was a nippy one this year ... I bought a RedTop for the cranking amps, but it was a pricey sucker ... we'll see how long it lasts ...

Last edited:
I've had excellent experience with Odyssey and Sears Die-hard Platinum (re-badged Odyssey).

I run the odyssey in my FJ. And pm1 in my lx450. The pm1 got me home from Texas to Missouri after my alternator failed. The Fj odyssey has been in now a year. I only put 3-4k on the Fj a year. I pulled few peeps out with my tjm winch and no problems.

I've moved away from the Optima's also, had one warrantied twice also, the one I have on my Exped trailer is dead now also. I've gone to the Odyssey/Die Hard with no problems, yet...

Over ten years on first pair of red tops in my 24volt bj70. And my second pair are now five years old. I have never had trouble with optima batteries...my two cents worth...

Optima went to a lead-tin mix for their plates/spirals. And they shortened their warranty.

I decided to try the batteries plus store brand. It's made by Northstar. I went with the marine version largest size. Only had it a few months so to soon to tell. They do have a 5yr warranty with free replacement but only at batteries plus.

Do the research and consider the price.

Once I install my second battery it will be the Die Hard by Odessy.

Well. Pulled the trigger on a Diehard Platinum P-5 (Group 35)........Hoping it's TRULY plug and play. Thanks Gents.

We ran two diehards for a long time in the shop FJC. Recently one crapped out so we threw a Optima red top into the Main battery position because of the cranking amps. So far we have not had any problems with this setup. The Fj is equipped with an ARB fridge, winch, spod, Light bar and Backup light pods. You can leave the fridge on for days and not have to worry about killing the battery.

In fact my Jeep has had the same red top in it for almost 6 years now!

~Jeff

Well, I kil't my Diehard this weekend. I was working on my rig last weekend and my dome light was acting up. I have one of those LED replacement kits. It's been finicky lately. Not sure if it drew my battery down or if just coincidence, but didn't run the truck all day Sunday and by Monday it was not starting. Would not even jump off my wife's truck which has a brand new battery in it. Tried putting it on my NOCO Genius charger and just got the flashing error light.

Took it back to Sears for warranty replacement and they handed me a new battery with 17 months of my warranty left. I've been putting off getting a dual battery setup for far too long I guess.

I was running a red top in my Fj40, two years and it "gave up the ghost"...Just out of warranty..Little hesitant now to add one to the FJC...Maybe I just picked up a lemon...

I'm in need of a new battery.. I'm running a winch, 2 Chinese 20" light bars and soon an Edgestar 37qt. frig.. Not going dual battery just yet. I'll probably jump on the Diehard, just have to drive an hour and a half to get one

The Diehard Platinum series has a 4 year full replacement warranty, then its prorated replacement out to 5yrs. Our local Sears was selling them for $250 just last week, which is less than I paid about 2.5 yrs ago when I first purchased one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom