22RE pistons questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and I had bought a used block and had it rebuilt. What type of pistons are these? when we try to mount the new head, the "lip" on these will hit the head when piston is up, actually un-able to mount head when the piston is up.

Someone please educate us on these? does the 0.50 stamp mean that these are .50 over std?

My son is bummed since we were going to assemble and install the motor this coming week.

Thanks in advance.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Those are domed pistons, they were used in the earlier (pre 8/84) engines. As you found out, you can't mount a later 22RE head on that block with those pistons.

What year is the block? Head?

Thank you KLF.

not sure on the year of the block. Bought it off CL then sent it out to get rebuilt. Head is brand new bought for our 92 truck.

How much would this block be worth? Is it possible to get the $850 we have invested in it?

Measure the deck height of the block to determine what version it is. The older block is taller. Here's a great article that will help you identity which one you have:

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechPages/techpages/eng48.html

If someone put domed pistons in a later block, you should go get your money back, they don't know what they're doing. What did the "rebuild" include? I hope not new pistons, because those certainly aren't new. The bore of that empty cylinder doesn't look that great either, I hope that's not a groove.

The "0.50" stamped into the piston is usually the oversize. You can also do a quick bore gauge to see if it's been bored out. I put 0.50mm oversized pistons in my block (note flat top pistons in the later block):

NewPistons.jpg

If someone put domed pistons in a later block, you should go get your money back, they don't know what they're doing. What did the "rebuild" include? I hope not new pistons, because those certainly aren't new. The bore of that empty cylinder doesn't look that great either, I hope that's not a groove.

View attachment 1053621

Motor was bought from a person who had had it rebuilt but the rebuilder forgot to install thrust washers. he ran it for about 1k miles then pulled it. I bought it from him thinking all 22r's were interchangeable. I then took it to a local machine shop and had them check out the motor and fix/replace whatever was needed, so no, pistons are not new. as for the bore, it is not a groove, it is assembly lube running down the cylinder wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom