Winch Roll call (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all,

I'm winch hunting and have read many past posts - I'd like something current. I'd want hear what the majority of you are using (winch wise) and would suggest. What is the a good and general unit (9000, 10,000, 12,000 or 15,0000) and brand. If I have to use it that means I was already over confident in my abilities and that could change on any given day.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I have 2 winches Warn and Superwinch, both 12500lbs. Both work well, although the Warn doesn't seem to be as well water or mud sealed and as a result I have had to replace the motor several times. The Superwinch has been indestructible.

The best and most reliable winch is the WARN 8274-50. Unfortunately, you are going to have a hell of a time getting it to fit on a 200, though last time I checked Bjowett supposedly had something in the works.

I know....super-helpful, right? :p

Edit: The smittybuilts are supposed to great too.

Last edited:
TJM 15,000 winch.
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4602.JPG

I would say 12-15k winch unless your going to use snatch blocks. I think there a guy with a 200 that has a Warn 9.5

I'm running a TJM 9.5K OX winch got me out of a lot of trouble spots and it has been reliable so far. The only problem i encountered was that the bracket holding the winch remote control box snapped and it's now held on with a jubilee clip also just yesterday installed the receiver for a wireless remote. If i ever had to replace it I'd go with a Warn 12k

This is an old pic but best I've got to show it in action. Completely bogged in winch has to rotate the cruiser and pull it up out the hole.

IMAG1132.jpg

Good info - seems as though everyone so far has tried different brands and has pros and cons listed - perfect
thanks guys

TJM 15k, waiting for a bumper so no experience with it yet. PDX's mention of it put it on my radar. It mounts to an ARB with their spacer kit I've read (and probably some clocking) so ARB on both ends may be in my immediate future given TJMs delays. I read a tonne of mostly OZ posts and reviews before purchasing it over a warn. Great quality on the bench and includes synthetic line and wireless remote. I hope it's dependable when it matters.

I love the 8274 for the old guys as much as the next person but it's an 8k winch :)

Question for you guys - Of the two winches listed below one is around $650-ish and the other is $1700-ish. Both have synthetic lines / ropes.
Smittybuilt X20 GEN 2 Comp 12,000lbs vs. Warn Zeon 10,000lbs s - I have never purchased a seperate winch before (I have one on my Polaris that came with it). One has a remote clutch (Warn) the other a manual clutch (SB). Both have wireless remotes, both are water "proof". Is the Warn worth the extra money in a real world setting or are you paying for branding and history? Is the Smittybuilt a good comparison for the Warn? I can't justify the difference in cash between the two, and I have zero experience with either.

Note: I'm aware the Warn remote has winch temp control readings and other / extra metric reporting details - I don't think thats going to matter much to me, unless you can explain to me otherwise.

Thank you

Question for you guys - Of the two winches listed below one is around $650-ish and the other is $1700-ish. Both have synthetic lines / ropes.
Smittybuilt X20 GEN 2 Comp 12,000lbs vs. Warn Zeon 10,000lbs s - I have never purchased a seperate winch before (I have one on my Polaris that came with it). One has a remote clutch (Warn) the other a manual clutch (SB). Both have wireless remotes, both are water "proof". Is the Warn worth the extra money in a real world setting or are you paying for branding and history? Is the Smittybuilt a good comparison for the Warn? I can't justify the difference in cash between the two, and I have zero experience with either.

Note: I'm aware the Warn remote has winch temp control readings and other / extra metric reporting details - I don't think thats going to matter much to me, unless you can explain to me otherwise.

Thank you
Temp control will help you know if you're overheating your winch but that you can tell by ear as well. Warn have entry level winches that are much cheaper and competition ones which are way more expensive. I've got no experience with the smittybilt as most people here run a warn. If the smitty has good reviews and is stout enough no reason why you shouldn't consider it. The smitty should do the job just fine, also pulling in short intervals will help it stay cool instead of one continuous pull, once you hear it loading up and slowing down give it a break before continuing on.
Most important if you haven't gotten some safety training on winches try to get informed as it can get pretty ugly when things go wrong.

Attachments

• TechGuide warn winch.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
Thank you for the safety data. I feel safer already

Willy, are your likely pulls fairly long? Loaded, we'll be pushing 6200+ and then a trailer in our case. We went bigger than the 1.5 ratio because of how many wraps we may still have spooled for tight spots around here. That, and the fact that the 12k and 15k weigh the same in this case. I wish the Zeon came in 12k because I otherwise like it and probably would have chosen that instead. US made and my wife is an Oregonian. I think it can be found much less than the price you had above, ~12-1400 in synth?

I think I'm going to give either the Come Up winch or the Smittybilt X20 comp a try.
thanks guys for the honest feedback....plan to use the savings towards something else like a rack or a sliders

Is a Warn Zeon 12k winch (which is sold with a wire cable only - that I can find) able to accept a synth rope or is it built wire cable dedicated?

I know you'd have to go from a roller to a hawse - but is the drum feed wire dedicated only or would you have to switch that out as well?
I haven't found a conversion online or that anyone has done it and posted about it. Not being able to find anything on it leads me to think its not an option but you don't get what you don't ask for.
thanks

I had the same thought but could not find anything online with synthetic on the 12. 100' of 7/16 Amsteel is a little over US$200 so it's very price effective. Maybe just a quick call/email to Warn to confirm compatability and also length possible with 7/16. Here is a pic of the drum and it does not differentiate between synth and wire:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1303-warn-zeon-12000-pound-winch/

At the time I had a TJM front bumper ordered and their 15k made sense given it's included options and weight or I likely would have gone that direction.

I think one of the downsides of synthetic is you need thicker rope for the same load rating as a steel cable also if the winch drum gets too hot the rope can meltbut theres those protective covers for them. But I'll always opt for synthetic and a shorter line than to deal with a steel cable. I know a lot of people run steel as it's cheaper and more robust, I personally would rather have that added safety factor that if the s*** hits the fan it won't take you out as well... Yes I'm a big chicken but I've seen someone get properly whipped by one of those hand winches and i don't want to ever see the damage a proper steel cable can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom