79er Resto the Lazy Way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my good friends just moved into a new house and I noticed his neighbor had a pretty sweet 79 fj40 in the driveway. We met the neighbor and he mentions that he wants to sell his cruiser because it just doesn't get used much anymore. Here's the pertinent info:

He's the second owner, having bought it in 1982.

The truck is one hundred percent stock, down to the floor mats and original paint and wheels.

There's some slight surface rust on the rear quarter panel and doors, but this is a Arizona truck, no cancerous rust that I can see.

It has everything, hard top, jump seats etc.

He claims only 65,000 ORIGINAL miles.

The truck has always started and run well, again no engine mods or anything.

Everything electrical works fine, blinkers brake lights etc.

Brakes and steers great.

Says that he has always maintained it in good running condition.

No PS, no AC.

The upholstery has some tears, but he bought some replacements from CCOT, but just hasn't installed it yet.

He's asking 8k and I think I'll offer 6k. What do you guys think a rig like this is worth?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but is 6k a good price or 8k? I plan on taking a ton of pictures when I take my wife to check it out in later this week.

Sounds like it could be north of 6k...way north.

If you offer 6k you will need to wear a mask...because you would be robbing him.

John

Interesting, guess I underestimated how much these suckers go for nowadays. I'll post tons of pics as soon as I can get them.

Location plays a part in pricing too. I know you say it's an AZ truck but is it there now? You don't have to divulge location but pricing for a rust free truck in Chicago is different than in CA.

Pics will tell a lot. Unfortunately $6k-8k is the very low end of the market for a stock cruiser in good shape.

Service records? Undercarriage views? Great price if it passes the sniff and scratch tests. Southwest U.S. is where 'well-preserved' yet heat baked rigs reside... Check window gaskets / rubber parts.

IF, its as you describe, $8k is a good price, but who knows, if he's asking that he'll likely take a bit less ... every owner's idea of "well maintained" is subject to interpretation as far as I'm concerned ... sounds like you may have found a keeper there ... looking forward to the pics ... good luck and welcome to Mud ...

The 8,000 is very low, so if it was me, I would hand him the cash and both of you should be very happy. That is dependent on it being as described. Count on rotten rubber however, that is just a little more money and elbo grease to replace. Rotten metal is much more expensive and difficult. Go for it or post the guys contact info here and see how fast it disappears.

Rust free stock 79+ trucks are selling for $20K+ on eBay. Rusted POS early trucks are selling for $6K.

Buy it and hope you never see the guy again.

Based on your description and highlighting all the important things - low miles, rust free, year, PS, AC - it seems you already know quite a bit about 40s. Offering 6k sounds like someone who likes chatting about it more than owning it.

>>The upholstery has some tears, but he bought some replacements from CCOT, but just hasn't installed it yet.

Given the seller knows about upholstery replacements from CCOT, it doesn't appear that he has been hiding under a rock since 1982. Something doesn't pass the smell test :)

Based on your description and highlighting all the important things - low miles, rust free, year, PS, AC - it seems you already know quite a bit about 40s. Offering 6k sounds like someone who likes chatting about it more than owning it.
Yeah that's my hang up is that I haven't been actively looking to aquire a fj40, I just bought a new half ton truck back in December. My buddy just knows that I've always wanted one and talked to his neighbor about it and his neighbor just said that he should really sell it because he has a ton of renovations going on etc. I'm only interested in it if it's a once in a lifetime type deal, that's why I was asking advice from you guys, because I've never owned one before.

I'm only interested in it if it's a once in a lifetime type deal, that's why I was asking advice from you guys, because I've never owned one before.

No, let it go then, because to some of us here it happens even twice in life.

:cheers:

New Mexico? 6-8k? Give me his address!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom