Anyones Keyless Entry Suck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for the replies. Ill take a look this weekend and see if i can find the receiver on my truck. Per the parts manual posted above i think its behind the glove box. My truck is at the point where i can barely get it to unlock from the tailgate. This is with a new key and fresh batteries.

So I looked under the dash and think I found it. My truck is a 98 so YMMV.

IMG_2170.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

I think its the red/brown thing in the bottom left of this photo. Ill try and figure out what the wires go to...

Here is a useful resource:
http://toyotamarket.ru/eu/791450/001/4/8420/1/89741/(posted above, but now with a direct link)

Oops- forgot to mention, this is directly below the steering wheel. Its more rearward in the car, close to the plastic of the dash.

Bringing this thread back to see if anyone had a solid working solution to this. My 2004 has a range of about 10 ft if that with fresh batteries. By far the worse Toyota keyless entry I've owned.

Hell I can't get mine to work at all. Bought a new key from the dealer, they can't get it to work either. Of course they are willing to dig into it, on my dime ;)

Mine has a range of about 20 feet, and if you don't hit the unlock button and get the Toyota tone twice, the alarm may go off. I'm still trying to train my wife not to run to the passenger door until you hear the tone twice, especially when it's pouring rain :)

My 98 LX requires being next to the door for the keyless to work. Very annoying. So, I've been locking/unlocking my door old-school style lately.

If you own a 98, DO NOT GET NEW KEYS and reprogram them!!!!!! I tried this. Toyota doesn't have the "red flag" in their system, as they should have. If they erase the 98 keys and try to reprogram new keys it will not work. Then, you will need a new ECU, no exceptions. You can't use the old keys either. They jacked up the 98 ECU but fixed it in 99 I was told. I went through 3 weeks of hell after they erased my ECU, so beware. I eventually got my new ECU and 2 new keys, and only payed $47, but they tried to get me for $1000. After all that, my range sucks big time too. Its like 6' if im lucky.

If you own a 98, DO NOT GET NEW KEYS and reprogram them!!!!!! I tried this. Toyota doesn't have the "red flag" in their system, as they should have. If they erase the 98 keys and try to reprogram new keys it will not work. Then, you will need a new ECU, no exceptions. You can't use the old keys either. They jacked up the 98 ECU but fixed it in 99 I was told. I went through 3 weeks of hell after they erased my ECU, so beware. I eventually got my new ECU and 2 new keys, and only payed $47, but they tried to get me for $1000. After all that, my range sucks big time too. Its like 6' if im lucky.
I'm not sure I follow. I got a new key for my 98 LX and programmed it with little effort.

Didnt work on my 98 Land Cruiser. Was a huge nightmare with Toyota directly involved, and donating an ECU while admitting they blew it when they designed the 98 ECU. Don't know. They erased mine first, that was the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom