It's not cast iron (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that won't warp the pan? I know you aren't dipping the entire pan into cold water.. but still.. i'm no expert here.

that won't warp the pan? I know you aren't dipping the entire pan into cold water.. but still.. i'm no expert here.

Nope, doesn't warp the pan. I've used that trick before and it works very well.

That said, I've just recently heard of the "Ringler" cast iron cleaner pad (JohnVee's post on the last page). Looks like a section of chainmail. I'm going to pick one up and add it to the camping drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ringler+cast+iron

Last edited:
Johnny, you'll love it. Best few $$$ I have spent for pot maintenance. Can't beat it for when the temps get a bit outta control. One really nice thing is that you can throw it in the dishwasher when you get home.

Here's a slick trick for stuck on food. Reheat the pan to medium hot then throw in a 1/4 cup of water, just like deglazing a pan. Most times it will leave the seasoning intact.
Yep. Been using that trick, but I usually heat it with the water already in it or use boiling water. Kinda scared of adding as much cold water as it sometimes takes (my biggest messes are usually up the sides). 1/2 cup is fine going in cold but 2 cups aren't!

Just don't do the cold water trick with cast iron. Steel won't crack, though it could warp. I put the water in and then heat to boiling-works awesome especially in conjunction with the Ringer held by a pair of tongs.

Unless you cook on infrared burners, you'd never notice a tiny degree of warp anyway.

Whipped up some chicken tacos for dinner! Used the ol 10" Grizwold!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427768995.516095.jpg

Nothing stick to this pan! It's like glass!

Yes, but while those are beautious cast iron pans, this is the "it's NOT cast iron" thread. Just sayin'.

Oaks---Rusty Dan has a griddle like that that is awesome bueno. Nice pieces you have!

Just don't do the cold water trick with cast iron. Steel won't crack, though it could warp. I put the water in and then heat to boiling-works awesome especially in conjunction with the Ringer held by a pair of tongs.

Unless you cook on infrared burners, you'd never notice a tiny degree of warp anyway.
I do with cast iron all the time, have for many years. Unless the pan is smoking hot you won't damage it. I define medium hot as "a drop of water bounces then stops and boils, if the drop just keeps dancing it's probably to hot.

Yes, but while those are beautious cast iron pans, this is the "it's NOT cast iron" thread. Just sayin'.

Oaks---Rusty Dan has a griddle like that that is awesome bueno. Nice pieces you have!

Yeah yeah. I know. Sorry, I just got excited and wanted to share. Plenty of left overs if you get the midnight munchies!

Stopped at the Lodge Factory Store in South Pittsburgh this week to pick up an 8" steel pan and ....,

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429880372.012192.jpg

Discovered it was the week of The Nastional Cornbread Festival complete with carnival rides and funnel cakes ;)

I had to beg to get in. As I pulled up they turned off the open sign :(

where is that? Is that in Gatlinburg?

South Pittsburg, Tennessee ... Between Chattanooga and Nashvile, closer to Chattanooga

Are the DeBuyers pans rated for the oven? Anyone tried? The handle has a coating of some sort. Just curious if it will stand up to the high temps.

I've had mine in at 400, no problems. I did take out the little plastic "B" although it is silicone rubber and should be OK.

FWIW, after I bought my deBuyers, I haven't used the cast iron since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom