fj62 blower motor speed resistors bad (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pandasfj

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok,thought I would just throw this out there if some one has this same problem. I just pulled the blower motor to check for dirt. Found hand full of leaves so I removed the blower wheel and cleaned. Also cleaned all of interior of housing w/o removing anything else,using a vacuum and an air blower.
Put it all back together and tested motor,all speeds worked before except low speed.So I searched other threads and found some good info on the speed resistors.
Location for the resistors are mounted in the a/c / heater duct to the right of the gas pedal,behind the dash support bracket.It uses a four wire black plug. Takes two phillip screws and tight enough for one hand but wasn't bad removing. As for mine the low speed resistor was broken,so guess I will have to replace mine. Not sure if their still available new,might just get a good used one.I'm sure there are other ways of repairs,just have to do more searches...
From what I read the resistors control the low speed,med.low speed and the med.high speeds.So here are some pictures I took....cheers.....gil
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 1(5).JPG
photo 3(3).JPG
photo 4(3).JPG

Check each coil for continuity. It looks easily repairable if one of them is bad. That might even be a good spot to put more modern resistors, and maybe add a solid state relay with a beefier wire to allow more current to the fan when at high speed.

Dang Spook, you going to put this on your todo list :)

Dang Spook, you going to put this on your todo list :)

It might be worth playing around with once I finish a few other projects. I'm doing a good deal of modernizing to my 62's electrical, some mods which might be marketable, but the gauge regulator at this point is the only one I actually intend to market once it's finalized.

Hey Spook,yeah the smaller resister that's on the right side in the last pict.,is the one for the low speed and is broken n discolored. I don't know what the resistance would be or if anyone has ever soldered a certain resistor to fix this problem. I wonder what type of wire material is used to add the resistance? I'll try to research a little more during the week if I have time.Thanks for any help....cheers

A PWM is the ideal solution, since it's basically a variable-frequency switcher as opposed to a heat-generating jumble of resistance wire. More complex, but IMO a far better and more modernised way to go. I'll have to see if I can design one that'd be a direct replacement for our resistor assemblies (in which case the switch would still work for the different speed settings too).

Yes, it will. I ended up getting one on eboy for about the same price. I recommend cleaning out that blower motor assembly before you install that resistor,so it gets enough air flow over it.

You are referring to the fan @ the passenger foot?..I opened that up and it was 3/4 full of debris. I'm hoping that having that clean and new resistors i'll be good to go as it gets hot this summer.

fan.jpg

Mine looked nasty.

image.jpg

The soldering on the wires going across them all broke and crumbled off. Not sure of their purpose since the wires and their soldering are in good shape.

That said, the 6x version is diacontinued.
But the 7x version from the same time period is still available.

I have ordered it and will see if it works when it arrives. It would be very nice to have an OEM option.

Rigs...yeah,that squirrel cage fan blade was full of leaves in my lc. Also I took the cover next to the wiper motor and cleaned out the outside air intake grill,in the cowl compartment. I think I pulled half a gallon of leaves and crap.
Beno... I remembered you saying it was discontinued back then,,,,looks like the 70 series is becoming the part time doner rig. Hope it works out for you.

My theory..... (by looking at the Japanese "Intermotor" fan resistor at RockAuto) is Denso (aka Toyota) purchased them from a Japanese subcontractor. The parts are identical in every respect.

No way to prove it of course, and it doesn't matter.. It's just nice to know that there is an identical replacement still available.

I just ordered and installed one of THESE.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=442808&cc=1276556&jnid=447&jpid=1

It is the EXACT same fan resistor array that Toyota used in the FJ60. This company obviously made them for Toyota. Made in Japan. It is identical in every way to the original. The Same.

How much were those? Following the link on my phone doesn't show the price.

I replaced mine six or seven years ago when they were still available. I'm thinking I need to pick up a "lifetime supply" while a generic is still available.

Well, the 7x iteration from that time period is unfortunately not going to work.

Complete different shape and the electrical designations are different too.

:(

Rockauto it is I guess .. :rolleyes:

IMG_8174.JPG

IMG_8175.JPG

It looks like it's $34.79, I wish id seen that before I ordered it from autozone for $42.99

Beno, is the one you are showing a picture of the autozone one?

Is the plug the same? Designations aside, the coils look to be about the same size and in the same locations. Maybe an adapter mounting plate could be made?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom