The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rebuilt std at the moment, but if I run out of juice will get a 12mm. My target was 200whp and 650nm for this stage but with good response. Proof will be in the tune.
Went past the skunkworks the other day, sure they could build a turbo for whatever I wanted - amazing skills.

What are the views on the Safari Intercooled system? With 22 pages of posts so far, why is this not mentioned? Too expensive? Too restrictive? It looks to be very much like an OEM setup, and from a very reputable firm. I know, it is a :worms: to ask this question.

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/intercooler/sc1hdft/sc1hdft.htm

Looking at what would work best with a GTurbo Grunter Extreme on a 1HD-FT equipped 80 series, manual trans, 3" exhaust. If I could shoe-horn a FMIC into my 45 I would do so, but not sure that would ever be possible. Not interested in cutting a hole in either hood for a TMIC setup.

Toyota thought best to pu tit on top for 10+ years and still going on the everyday work Hilux and first Prado - on about a million of them [guesstimate]. Doesn't mean its right or wrong...
rerIEbc.jpg

Yeah, I had a Toyota MR2 Supercharged 1.6l gas engine at one point that had a top mount intercooler. It was terrible! I replaced it with a bottom mount of all things, and put a fan on it. Made all the difference in the world. I could swear the top mount was heating the air charge more than cooling it most of the time!! Turbo/supercharged engine bays get so hot. I think Toyota did it because it was economical and compact. Their more serious turbo cars like the Supras, Aristos, Soarers, Chasers all had front mount intercoolers.

I think the heat soak top mount issue is all to do with lack of airflow...obviously. If you have a fan on a thermo switch it would be a whole different matter. Having a top mount and relying on vehicle speed for air flow is going to have predictable results. If your not moving, the cooler will soak. Most sports car guys with top mounts dont worry much about egts, but rather complain about IATs when they are racing from light to light in the city. Although they are somewhat realted, they cause Very different problems. Detonation due to high IATs for gas engines can be catastrophic where as high egts basically age diesels faster...sometimes much faster depending on the temps mind you, but the speed at which they can occurr cant really be compared unless your a complete moron and never watch your egts and harshly over fuel... right... like that never happens.

I guess the short of it is... put a fan on it. It doesnt screw much with your rad effeciency and keeps your engine bay cooler to boot.

So if a dude had a front mount intercooler and complained that it didnt cool well after he removed his mechanical fan the advice would be..... put a fan on it.

Last edited:
Frank, I read your thread on lcool, sounds like you had a bad experience there. My xxi had to be customised to suit the turbo setup, and I also worked with both Mark and Andrew to do the install, there was no leftover tubing bunched up anywhere, plenty of foam was used to prevent rubbing,fans were clear of the rad, and I've had no issues with the system in 6 months

Thanks, it's good to hear of issues with the system, that way I know what to monitor

Wow frank, that's a nightmare! I'll take some of your lessons on board with regards to fans, etc on my custom. If you want to chat intercoolers send me a pm. Might be some useful stuff if you're a DIYer.

Thanks OFRO4D, I have the tools, machines and welders to DIY but I have better things to do on my weekends/time off.
I prefer to pay for a drop in fit, unfortunately $3,500 didn't get me this with XXi.
I've TIGed up a straight through pipe from turbo to intake for now, and after this experience I would never go WTA again.

OH Dear , Frank ,,,,,Couldn't help yourself ahh ?

When we last spoke on the phone you sounded quite dissatisfied with Lcool , in them locking your thread for legal implications

Now in fairness to Mark (XXi) (this was before Andrew came along) he went above and beyond of what I expected, any time I called I got a reply , things that the general public tends to forget these days is that Forums appear to be a way of venting when it hits the fan.

I said this to Frank many many times over chill dude and it will sort itself out, calling 5 times a day wanting/demanding to talk to someone each and every day would drive anyone to the brink of not lifting the phone ( I wouldnt if it were my shop either ) still you kept calling and you got the rear end of the stick at the end, threatening to go legal was another big mistake as no doubt you shall find out in the next few weeks (From what I have been told)

You gave them an ultimatum of x mount of time , they (xxi) replied to that with a day to spare where they will fix the entire system the way it should be and know you tell them to late , I shall go legal you said, I must state I only know Mark not Andrew from XXi as a customer just to make this clear before anyone else thinks otherwise

Anyways the comments above will no doubt turn my friendship with Frank on edge however so be it , nothing intended bty Frank

You have left quit a few things out out though

"G" had not sent the core unit not back to Mark cause G said that he wanted it and it was he who took several weeks to send the mk1 cooler back to Mark , and in the mean time you talking to me , had decided only after talking to me that you would want to up-grade to the XXi Mk2 cooler like mine adding a further 6 weeks to the time slot

Next when it came time for you to finally have the system installed you also forgot to mention that Mark was sick as a dog where he even offered you to stay at his place so that the job could be done at a more relaxed time frame so that mistakes wouldn't occur
Sure after it had been fitted and you got back home when you discovered the misalignment of the cooler again a simple fix that you decided to rectify yourselve , I had told you just send it back to them and be done with it

As for the spindle hitting the Rad ,,,,not so sure on that one either ,,,, take any Fan manufacture and you will find that each and every one of the fans will have a set high from the Rad 3 , 5 mm whatever that may be as long as the fan is mounted correctly ((which mine is BTY)) there will be no issues what so ever

Long story short my system is 2 + years old now NO leaks , no bent rad , none, nada
Going legal I think was the wrong way to go but then again I'm me , still smiling every-time I drive my LC and I have "G" and Mark to tanks for that

Not that it matters anymore why did you go to all that expense when you are not even running the Hi-flow injectors when any A2A would have done for your application ?

Again I state I dont work or know XXi apart from being a customer and I'm happy at that

Cheers Marty

Last edited:
Ah Marty, if you want to 'edit' your above post so will I...
You posted this only days after we spoke. You had bragged about Mark offering you a job after all the sales you had referred to him. Are you getting commission? You then gave Mark permission to use your above post against me in my Legal pursuit for a refund.

And no I wasn't going to go into your XXi WTA core leak and hydo-locked engine. But you have told me multiple times about it, and that you blame GTurbo.

Its called Customer Service, its not hard...

I didn't change my mind on the mk1 cooler, I measured engine to bonnet space and it wouldn't fit (the gen 2 rubs on the bonnet lining). But you did suggest a number of times that I should change my mind whether it fit or not... Hell you even offered me your XXi airbox to copy, not that I asked for it or wanted one! You've even hinted to where Mark sources his WTA cores, again not that I care...

Mark has claimed on my Lcool thread he was sick, well he wasn't too sick to do touch up repairs to his Dad's house after the install... And yep he installed my intercooler in his Dad's driveway. Mark has claimed no one noticed the 'tilt' on my intercooler on install. This is because my vehicle was parked nose down on a 30-40* down angle. The out of shape intercooler would have been very obvious on a flat workshop floor...

I had had taken weeks off to suit Marks install time frame, and he had ceased all forms of communication. And no I'm not into sleep overs, or whatever that means.

The intercooler wasn't a simple fix, and took 2 weeks of my time and money. I wasn't going to send it back and wait another 8 months, yes I waited 8 months. Like my first radiator leak, I fixed it and payed for it myself as I need the vehicle on the road asap.

Unlike yourself, I drive dirt roads 80% of the time. This may be the difference in our experience...

Not sure about the Rad? well I have pic's to prove it. I'm not sure about "Half a turbo fin protruding from the core"... got proof?

Thanks for passing on XXi's empty threats though...

Last edited:
CycloSteve, post
Looking at what would work best with a GTurbo Grunter Extreme on a 1HD-FT equipped 80 series, manual trans, 3" exhaust. If I could shoe-horn a FMIC into my 45 I would do so, but not sure that would ever be possible. Not interested in cutting a hole in either hood for a TMIC setup.

I can tell you when my 1HDFE was running a grunter ext or so I was told,,,,,,, only after I sent it back for the BB/ext billet upgrade was I told that it was infact a std Grunter 1 , I was running 32lb boost with an X-country front mount A2A for over a year and it handled it no worries at all , might be worth looking into

Frank
All good here Mate , I said what I had to say in all fairness to everyone involved

Cheers Marty

What are the views on the Safari Intercooled system?

Hi Steve. I run the Safari intercooler on my 1HDFT (auto) drop in fit, I did however have to change the Auto transmision cooler for a more slimline cooler.

Unlike some, I use my 80 as a 4wd, My last trip was a tad over 6000 km, Up to & across the Simpson Desert to Alice springs, Toured central Australia & back down the hard way.

The 80 performed faultlessly. Not a problem with any thing.
Oh i did break a front sway bar mount that i got fixed when i got home. (Just to show i dont drive like a pussy on bittumin roads)

Hamo

Couple of guys here got that .. and water pump was crap ( probably was the 1st edition of the kit ) and the radiator was small for the IC demand at least for us down here with or kind of temp / humidity.

Couple of guys here got that .. and water pump was crap ( probably was the 1st edition of the kit ) and the radiator was small for the IC demand at least for us down here with or kind of temp / humidity.

I assumed that would be the case. How does the actual cooler work? What did they install it on (80 or 70)? Were any mods required to the hood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom