It's not cast iron (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one of the Creusets...luckily it was a wedding gift. However, after using it for several years now, I would spend the money on one. But, like @Spike Strip said, you can find them second hand, even at yard sales.

Has anyone used the lodge ceramic coated Dutch ovens? I really want a nice 5qt for doing soups and braises and stews at home. I can't bring myself to spend 250 for le crouset.

I have not used them but did fondle one of them just before Christmas. It's Chinese, but it looked well made. The machining of the lid/pot junction was right on.

There is also a good looking DO on Costco's website that's under $100. It says made in France, so it's likely a Le Crueset or Staub without the fancy name on it.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...Iron-Round-French-Oven.product.100090986.html

^ nice find! In a perfect world I would want the lighter/cream color of the Le Creuset interior but at that price...

^ nice find! In a perfect world I would want the lighter/cream color of the Le Creuset interior but at that price...

My guess it's made by Staub. Their interior coating is dark like this one. You can use any deep pot you want for braising, but I want a cool dedicated braiser. Stay tuned, I have something cool in the works that's "not cast iron". I just made a braised chuck eye that was amazingly good and too easy. Comfort food with a French twist. I like this style of cooking.

My guess it's made by Staub. Their interior coating is dark like this one. You can use any deep pot you want for braising, but I want a cool dedicated braiser. Stay tuned, I have something cool in the works that's "not cast iron". I just made a braised chuck eye that was amazingly good and too easy. Comfort food with a French twist. I like this style of cooking.

Does this new dish have ingredients that can fit in an Engel fridge and be cooked on a three burner?!!

I found one of those lodge carbon steel pans at Goodwill a month or so ago. It's everything you guys said!
And I have one of the carbon steel griddles. It's handles are welded, so I think it may be a smaller shop build. Love it for cooking on the 2 burner camp chef.

But, for mass cooking I'm still digging the discada.. And it was free (other than some welding wire)
dscf7276-400-jpg.512299

dscf7278-400-jpg.512300

Dunno, bout 1/4" I think.

It's just a old disk harrow blade :)

Jake, When you are at the shop in a couple weeks, if we have time after installing the lift kit.... you can build one here. (I'll help and walk you through it) I have a few smaller 16 or 18" discs. They are easy to make and I have a high output propane burner/stand so we can season it up a little with a pound of bacon...

Jason

Jake, When you are at the shop in a couple weeks, if we have time after installing the lift kit.... you can build one here. (I'll help and walk you through it) I have a few smaller 16 or 18" discs. They are easy to make and I have a high output propane burner/stand so we can season it up a little with a pound of bacon...

Jason
Is the bacon one of those things that isn't mentioned in the lift install directions but makes the job easier? :pig:

I forgot to add that I recently added the Lodge cast steel 8" pan to the cupboard. It joins my 10". Say what you will about the usefulness of 8" skillets but I often use them since I normally cook for one or two and they're sometimes just the right thing to have - small frittatas, skillet casseroles, etc. Plus it packs nicely with the 10" and the combo is pretty much guaranteed to fit together on most camp stoves.

Also finally bought a Ringler (the chain mail cast iron-scrubber). Works like a champ when something is stuck on good.

BLT's for lunch brother.... Does a cruiser good!

J

J,

That's would be sweet!
I will bring the bacon! We have a meat shop in town that has the most amazing bacon. Bacon bacon bacon bacon... Sorry kinda got squirreled talking about that one smokey meat that comes from a pig. Awww Bacon! :)

Also finally bought a Ringler (the chain mail cast iron-scrubber). Works like a champ when something is stuck on good.
Here's a slick trick for stuck on food. Reheat the pan to medium hot then throw in a 1/4 cup of water, just like deglazing a pan. Most times it will leave the seasoning intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom