Weak washer nozzle output? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the forums and didn't find a clear answer to this. My washer jets/nozzles for the windshield all spray, but the fluid only reaches the bottom 20% or so of the windshield. It looks like it is barely making it to the windshield. Is this normal? I'm trying to figure out what the problem would be. I would think the motor would just fail (since its electric), and if 1 or more of the jet nozzles were blocked it would increase pressure. Am I thinking about this all wrong (entirely likely).

Thanks!

I had to replace nozzles on mine. Still only sprays about bottom third of windshield, that's the way it's designed as far as I can tell. My other car sprays all over the place and I have to run the wipers for a minute after spraying.

Not that it makes a ton of difference...but the FSM has a diagram of nozzle coverage.

Steve

OK, guys. Thanks for the input. Sounds like they are working as designed, just under powered or poorly angled.

Take a sewing needle and stick it in the nozzle to clear it. Also while the needle is in there pull the nozzle up a hair. Operate washer and adjust to your liking.

Thanks, Ton504! I was going to do that, but the other commenters led me to believe I had normal function.

Mine have tons of pressure, but they too only hit about 1/3rd of the way up the windshield. I think they are designed to do that as opposed to "misting" the entire glass like others so that at highway speeds with lots of wind you still get fluid to the glass.

I had to replace nozzles on mine. Still only sprays about bottom third of windshield, that's the way it's designed as far as I can tell. My other car sprays all over the place and I have to run the wipers for a minute after spraying.

Where did you find the nozzles? Mine won't clean up so one side barely works

Where did you find the nozzles? Mine won't clean up so one side barely works
Through CDan or Beno here.

A good overnight soaking in vinegar or citric acid (Lemi-Shine) fixed mine. FSM shows 2 holes on lower side of nozzle hit the lower side of the ws, the center hole shoots cleaner about 2/3 up the ws between the lower nozzles.

Ton54's comment about gently picking stuff out of the nozzles also works...sewing needle or dental pick can help.

Hope that's clear...

Steve

Through CDan or Beno here.

A good overnight soaking in vinegar or citric acid (Lemi-Shine) fixed mine. FSM shows 2 holes on lower side of nozzle hit the lower side of the ws, the center hole shoots cleaner about 2/3 up the ws between the lower nozzles.

Ton54's comment about gently picking stuff out of the nozzles also works...sewing needle or dental pick can help.

Hope that's clear...

Steve

I've tried the pick method. I think the PO did too and broke the end off in the nozzle :/

I think I had trouble figuring out how to get the nozzles off if I remember right. It's been almost a year ago since I tried

I've tried the pick method. I think the PO did too and broke the end off in the nozzle :/

I think I had trouble figuring out how to get the nozzles off if I remember right. It's been almost a year ago since I tried
Start with a door panel tool and remove the insulation inside the hood. Iirc, nozzles are held with clips.

hth

Steve

When I got my truck they weren't doing much of anything. I stripped a fine gauge wire a ways up and stuck it in there. I figured that would be more flexible than a needle. Worked for me, and I've found that while the spray pattern looks useless when stopped, if you're moving a bit the wind pushes it right were it needs to go. That's my experience at least.

Tried to clear my nozzles, they were both clogged up with mineral deposits. I think the only good way to do it would be to pull them out and try to get them cleared from bottom out. In the end, I gave up and bought two new ones for the front hood and one for the rear. It was easy to replace and now I have full window coverage again. I now use only distilled water in the washer reservoir to try to keep the mineral buildup to a minimum.

I put some CLR on a Q-tip and wiped the nozzles, waited a bit then poked them with a needle from a sewing kit. Good as new! You can aim them too as previously mentioned.

OK, resurrecting this thread because I found the *actual* problem and solution to my low pressure issue. Was getting some service done at a "quick lube" kinda place and they mentioned that they refilled my washer fluid. I asked about what might be causing the low pressure. The tech looked at the vacuum lines and found a split/crack. Then we looked at another section and found ANOTHER split. I picked up a couple of feet of vacuum line ($1.18), and replaced the damaged sections. NIGHT AND DAY difference! Jets are super powerful now and hit well up onto the upper 1/3 of the windshield. I also located *another* split on the longest section of line running from DS to PS jet. I didn't have more line, so I just duct taped it and will replace today. Even with the small remaining leak it was an amazing improvement. I guess 17 years of driving opening closing hood degraded the lines enough to create the cracks. I'm going to look at replacing the main line that runs from the reservoir to the pump and the pump to the hood. Just as a precaution.
Not even a full :banana: job. I'm also going to carry several feet of vacuum line in case mine or someone else's line fails in the field.

Hope this helps some other users. It frustrated the :censor: out of me for more than a year.

Thanks to all those Mudders who contributed ideas and experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom