Builds Silver Bullet - BJ74 Tough Offroad all rounder buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patrols are the rig of choice in competitions, you don't see too many cruiser in that class, or any class really.
All the cruisers are being treated well by their toyota owners, polished and sitting on the side lines. No doubt those patrols are extremely capable machines

A bit of maintenance after the last trip, I noticed the brakes were not so good, needing a pump or two to work. I knew the wheel bearings were probably a bit tired, had been in there ~70,000km, I had greased them a few times. Started pulling things apart, hmm there was a lot of movement in the kingpins. Started checking stuff out, everything was pretty much at the end of its life before failure, nearly all the bearings fell apart when removed, brake rotors had just gone undersize and steering rod end needed adjustment.

Just last night finished rebuilding everything with new grooved and slotted rotors. Was pretty happy with the life of my kingpin bearings, lasted ~160,000km (was the diff assembly out of my old red middy that I first assembled in 2008). Bearings still functioned just very worn, felts and rubbers were still fine, no contamination of the swivel housing at all, grease was still fine which is great news since I run 35''s all the time with -57 offset.

Sweet just in time for this weekend snow driving!!

Read the majority of this in my spare time today at work, man you wheel the piss out of this thing Hulsty! Some awesome pics in there! You need to get Sandy and the Aussie Racer crew to do an episode on one of your snow trips!

ahahha would be cool, he has snow coming up in one of his episodes, just no wheels..... Ontrack have had plenty of snow trip exposure, we were in another magazine article late last year.

https://www.facebook.com/ontrack4wdclub

My daily has done a head gasket so is coming off the road to repaid, middy will be the temporary daily so I have given it a wash. Also got a new spare, old one was a 15'' non bead locked tyre which was a bit suss, picked up a cheap muddy to do on my spare rim. Normally have a 1.5kg gas bottle in the middle for my cooker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom