Builds Good Ole Rusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the whole crossmember that the anti wrap bar ties to is loose. Both ends need to be reeled.

Good reason to practice welding :)

@RAYJON I'm running 80 TRES and didn't want to wait for an online purchase.

Just trying to stretch your budget.. (and give you a bad time)..

If you need to bring it over and weld it up the crossmember with the miller, i should be home monday-tuesday..

Just trying to stretch your budget.. (and give you a bad time)..

If you need to bring it over and weld it up the crossmember with the miller, i should be home monday-tuesday..
No problem, when I did the high steer kit I went to 80 series TRE's.

Good reason to practice welding :)
I'm already good at brewing beer, I know this guy that is already good at welding and drinks beer.
Ya see where I'm going with this???

That's like knowing someone that owns a boat right?

Perfect plan :)

Last edited:
My grand daughter counted eleven tires, she's two. Wish that math worked in real life.

Last edited:
ohh...ahhh...

Ok where is the update pix...

Started out today getting the wrap bar out and grinding out the old welds, turns out my welding isn't as bad as I thought, the metal failed before the welds did. I don't know if this gap can be filled or if I need a new bar.

DSCN3413_zpsngnajuvu.jpg

DSCN3412_zpsdmgtvmxl.jpg

This is the other end, it doesn't show up well but there is a gap about .125 wide
DSCN3414_zpspdhxxjfb.jpg

We'll see what the welding guru says tomorrow.

Then I moved on to some cosmetic stuff, nothing much to lose since this area will most likely be replaced eventually. FWIW this spot started out as "minor surface rust"
DSCN3419_zpswuoo7dds.jpg

DSCN3418_zpsikusvsep.jpg

DSCN3422_zpshuydf3jd.jpg

DSCN3424_zps9bcykxe6.jpg

I spent the rest of the day practicing on scrap trying to get good welds out of the $^%$*%^^ Harbor freight $99 welder.

I managed to get some welds on 22G that penetrated but didn't blow out. The amount of splatter was absurd. I could probably get the job done but it would result in an incredible amount of clean up. So plan B is to borrow a MIG welder.

Last edited:
Oh Yeah, I also found a hole in the rear air locker line. There is a place half a block from work that sells metric air line so I'll probably get enough to replace all the air lines.

But Wait!! That's not all!
Crusty Crab mentioned he has a Samurai flip and tumble seat he doesn't need. One of my wish list items is a back seat so I can take my Grand Daughter wheeling with me. Since it probably needs to be re-upholstered I might take a stab at the front seats too. I have a pretty decent sewing machine and I like to sew so it may work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom