5 wire in cab winch control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Warn XD9000i, a 91 HDJ81 antenna switch, and the slee wiring relays.
The wiring relays have 5 wires, the warn winch had a 5 pin remote.

I've looked at the wiring diagram from slee for the relay board.
I've looked at the wires coming from the remote bulkhead on the solenoid control box of the winch.
Using a diagram of the warn long probe, I jumped the ground loop, and sorted out the power for winch in and winch out.

I ran the relay wires into the control box, and began connecting.

I got down to the last wire (red) which ran from the bulk head out of the control box to a ground point on the underside of the winch body. I stripped a piece of that wire, and when I touched my relay wire to it, it powered the winch to reel out.

is there something I'm missing here?
I've seen how to wire in a 3 wire control switch. But the 5 wire relay board is specifically so that both buttons on the re-purposed antenna switch, if pressed at the same time, won't activate the winch in and winch out.
Has anyone hardwired the slee in cab winch control directly into an XD9000i solenoid control box?

Sounds like a pretty sweet mod. Did you get it figured out?

Not yet. I went back to work, so maybe in 2 weeks when I go on days off again, someone will have offered another clue as to how I wire in the grounds, or I'll just get back to experimenting.

I'll post an update as soon as I have something worth sharing.

I havent done this mod before, obviously, buy if you have the wiring diagrams, I might be able to help.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?153263-Need-Help-with-5-pin-warn-winch-remote-diagram

I found this and learned what the pins did.

Here is the wiring diagram that comes with the relay board from Slee.
winch (1).jpg

I don't have my winch yet to look at the wiring diagrams for the remote, but this is what I get from the Slee diagram. Hopefully I'm not being Cap'n Obvious here:
The antenna switch can only be closed in one direction at a time and is normally open (NO). When you press either side of the toggle, you providing a path to ground for one OR the other relay.
Pin 5 to Gnd
DPDT 1 coil energized
Brown to Red (ground for any direction)
White to Black (12V for one direction)

Pin 3 to Gnd
DPDT 2 coil energized
Brown to Red (ground for any direction)
White to Green (12V for one direction)

With this set up, you just hook up the grounds and figure out which line activates the solenoid to scroll IN and which is OUT (Green vs Black) and connect your switch so it is the orientation you want. If everything is connected per the Slee schematic, nothing should have happened when you connected the Red wire. When you say you jumped the ground loop, what do you mean? Is your antenna switch faulting to a normally closed (NC) position?

Both buttons on the antenna switch can be pressed at the same time, this is why there is a need for the Slee relay board.

As per the link to the Colorado 4x4 post: warn 5pin winches switch both power and ground as a safety measure.
So to figure out with was spool in and which was spool out you use a short piece of wire and jump two pins (4 & 5), then with another wire you jump 1 to 2 and then 1 to 3.

I tested my antenna switch to discover which wires of the pigtail I would be using. Everything seemed fine then.

I have an email in the interweb ether to Christo at Slee.

Quite right, the 80s have that little split button for the antenna. The 100s have a rocker...

Does the circuit work apart from the switch? That is, if you activate either relay manually, do you get the expected result.

Just a heads up! Don't go through 12 VOLT GUY. I purchased a kit from him and it doesn't work. Tried calling, e-mail with a pic of my solenoid for a WARN 8000s but no response. I'm stuck with a winch panel and 4 holes in my dash. A decoration on my dash is all I received. Thanks, 12 cult guy!

Umm. 12voltguy is one of the best people to go through. I've never had a single issue with my kit. Which was dual battery and dual winch.

Just a heads up! Don't go through 12 VOLT GUY. I purchased a kit from him and it doesn't work. Tried calling, e-mail with a pic of my solenoid for a WARN 8000s but no response. I'm stuck with a winch panel and 4 holes in my dash. A decoration on my dash is all I received. Thanks, 12 cult guy!

I have only ever heard good reviews of 12voltguy. In either case, I would only go to him for trouble shooting. Ive already sunk my money into the Slee relay, and antenna switch (ive already got it labeled.)

In another week and a bit I'll be back home and be able to take another crack at it. Just wanted to test the waters, (and lets be honest get my fix for my cruiser addiction through ih8mud) while I was stuck at work.

Christo, did get back to me and said warn may have changed the coloring of some of their wires. However as far as I can tell, from the jumper wire test, everything matches.

I have yet to test that circuit board they sent me, it may be the culprit as was mentioned above.

I looked at all threads concerning 12 volt guy and that's why I purchased from him. Unless he changed his phone number (530)532-4529. I can't get in touch with him or e-mails. That's where I stand.

I'm just surprised this thread hasn't heard from anyone who had used the Slee relay board, with the stock antenna switch. Even the posts I've found on other forums are all 12voltguy, or a similar style switch, or the winches are only 3pin, and very straight forward to wire.

Hmmm, this may be operator error on your part. Don't be so quick to call out 12 volt guy.

I installed a 12volt guy interior winch control last fall. It controls the 5 wire solenoid pack on an 8274. It's kind of a no-brainer in that there is no way for it not to work. I do remember you have to bring 12V to the switches and ground one of the pins separately but then it's just 3 wires back to control the solenoid pack. I used marine triplex cable. Seriously, if I can get the wiring right, it's pretty easy.

I would go back and look very carefully at your wiring. If you wire it correctly, it's going to duplicate the inputs from the remote winch controller. Do you know for sure your winch solenoid pack is good and working properly?

Anyway, once you take the time to understand how it works, install and be happy. It's just 3 switches and an LED, and the switches come with the wires attached.

Okay, so I got back from work and this morning I figured I would swap out my old s***ty kinked up steel cable for a nice new 100' ⅜" Viking synthetic winch line.

I disengaged the clutch and spooled it out by hand. After I bolted on the new line I figured I would just use the hand remote. Mind you my in-cab switch was still mostly wired in (still wrong) with only that motor ground not attached. When I tried to use the hand remote right away my radio turned off. So I fired up the truck pulled the hand throttle so I wouldn't drain my batteries and started again.
There was sputtering and hiccups (i could hesr the solenoids switching back and forth like they couldnt make up their mind) from the winch and then it started to reel in. I was stopping and starting so I could wrap the line on nice and tight, and the sputtering continued, but then it stopped and the winch started to spool out!

I fiddle with the hand remote a bit and sure enough the directions were reversed....
I disconnected all my s***ty wiring, but it seems to have permenantly switched the directions of...the switch.

This cool little in-cab remote has become a serious trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom