Manual fuel shutdown cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed my EDIC motor a few years ago when it started acting up and I installed a manual shutdown cable and I love it, reliable, simple and cheap. However, the cable I used was a cheap lawn mower cable and I just kind of wrapped the cable end around the shutdown arm temporarily and its taken me this long to get a quality PTO shutdown cable that operates VERY smoothly, and now I have some time to work with it.

So I want to attach the cable end to the shutdown arm on the IP in a good way but im struggling to come up with ideas. I have the cable running up the inner fender and around the battery and to the shutdown lever. (So it pulls the shutdown cable forward to shut off) Its all tucked away neat with brake line rubber clamps, and I just have to come up with some way to attach it to the shutdown arm. I would like to use that little ball joint piece that the EDIC motor was connected to. My new cable is almost big enough to weld it to the ball joint but there must be a better way yet. Maybe a couple hose clamps holding the cable to the ball joint peice??? Thats kind of hokie but its all I can think of at the moment.

Any ideas? Sorry I don't have pictures but my internet is really bad and can't upload pictures all the time.

Go to a marine supply and ask about control cable ends. Brands like TeleFlex. Morse, etc, have the parts you need.

I used a PTO cable for my shut down cable and they work great, especially with the correct cable end fitting. Yhis is the best picture I have of my set up.

Copy of IMG_5259.JPG

Autozone had a universal throttle kit for $15 that had a part I used. I retapped the ball joint fitting to accept the cable attachment. Pretty easy to do and clean looking. Plenty of room to adjust.

image.jpg

Or for a really smooth pull use a pulley, reduces load and pull force by about 50% i think.

Here is mine, i am not so worried about looks but i tell you it works great. Plus you can have really nice ones made. I made this myself lol Cost me 33 pesos for the pulley, maybe 80 us cents And bit of flat bar lying around.

DSC_1305.JPG

DSC_1306.JPG

DSC_1307.JPG

DSC_1308.JPG

DSC_1309.JPG

Just like the OP, I need these ideas. Keep them coming.

I don't have a Toyota motor, instead it's a Nissan SD-22 that I recently picked up. But it apparently has an almost identical IP control system. Toyota has the EDIC system, and this SD-22 has what they call an IPC (injection pump controller). It also has three positions, start/over inject, run, and stop.

I didn't get the electronic control box for the IPC with the motor, so I finally found out how to operate the IPC manually. The problem I'm having is that it won't reliably stop at each of the three positions. Instead, the electric motor in the IPC tends to frequently over run the three positions. Consequently, if I'm unable to figure out a solution I'm going to have to set up a manual control cable like is being featured here.

Don

I used a PTO cable for my shut down cable and they work great, especially with the correct cable end fitting. Yhis is the best picture I have of my set up.

copy-of-img_5259-jpg.1051750

@doug720 - If I wanted to replicate your shut off approach, what parts would I need to gather together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom