Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not sure because of the shackle reversal, but since you flipped the springs, shouldn't you also flip the military wrapped spring so you don't bend it?

why not put a tube through the frame for the shackle instead of mounting it under the frame,
just curious .
i also lowered my front solid mount down a 1/2 inch to get the spring more level .
i too flipped my springs but i moved the axle back to another hole in the spring perch instead of using the center hole .i didn't want my front axle way out front .
if it is too far forward the tire will hit the front of your fender

Looking good so far, what kind of truss you making for it
I am going to put a truss on top between the diff and the driver spring. Then I will run a truss along the front from knuckle to knuckle. I will also add some simple little knuckle gussets on the top and bottom of the knuckles. Everyone talks about housing warp if you use too much heat. So I will do the welding a little at a time.

I am not sure because of the shackle reversal, but since you flipped the springs, shouldn't you also flip the military wrapped spring so you don't bend it?
This I never researched a ton. I was hoping that since this pack uses fewer yet thicker leafs, has a fair arch to it, and since I am leaving the spring clamps in that I won't have an issue. Also I hope that since its the front axle it wont see as much torque anyway as the rear normally would.

IMG_20150213_120819306.jpg
Since I have the calipers off, thought I would clean them up with a wire wheel. Here is what they looked like b4...

Last edited:
IMG_20150306_212945918.jpg
Got the parts to convert the e-locker to a air locker. Got this cool air manifold from Viair. Instead of using a ARB solenoid I used a generic one, the ARB stuff has kinda odd sizes and are a bit more expensive to source. Basically I will have 2 solenoids, a pressure relief, and a pressure switch. On the ends of the manifold will be a input and output of the air to the tank. The long silver piece is a pneumatic piston which will replace the locker's factory motor.

Last edited:
IMG_20150310_212016557_HDR.jpg
Got my front drive shaft and cut it down to the right length. I am using a rear shaft out of a GX460. Its a 1200 dollar shaft from Lexus new. Their is a recall on em cuz they make noise and they were throwing it away for the updated one. When I cut the tube to shorten it to my surprise paper shreddings went everywhere. Turns out inside the tube on these their is rolled up cardboard type paper, not sure why.

Here it is installed, I had to buy round flanges that I could drill for the newer style bolt pattern. The splines on my old shaft were shot so this saved me some major money, this shaft has about 5.5" of travel which should be just enough. I also flexed the front and measured for new shocks, looks like I will need em with about 11" of travel. Im am going with RS9000's. They have a special going on right now which will bring the price to about 75 bucks a piece.
IMG_20150310_223635987.jpg

Very interesting thread,can't wait to see the end result.
i want to install wider 38s and don't have your skills and garage or the time (I wish I had)
Will you be using spacers also with the 80's axle ?
What will be the rim size ,offset and backspacing?
I read here a while ago that 70 series tubes are 2.75 inch wider and the guy was using those to avoid rubbing,any info if it's true?
Please keep us update with pics and videos of on road and offroad performance and your final thoughts if it was all worth the effort.
Thanks

For 38's I would think you would need at least 2" spacers to avoid rubbing up front. The problem with the big spacers are is that they increase scrub radius. When I had 2" spacers on mine the steering got pretty hot due to the effort to overcome the bad scrub radius. I am running 15x8" wheels. They have 2" of back spacing. I am not going to run any spacers, these rims should work fine. I don't know anything about 70 axles, we don't have many in the US, and the few that are here are driven and not parted out.
Very interesting thread,can't wait to see the end result.
i want to install wider 38s and don't have your skills and garage or the time (I wish I had)
Will you be using spacers also with the 80's axle ?
What will be the rim size ,offset and backspacing?
I read here a while ago that 70 series tubes are 2.75 inch wider and the guy was using those to avoid rubbing,any info if it's true?
Please keep us update with pics and videos of on road and offroad performance and your final thoughts if it was all worth the effort.
Thanks

IMG_20150408_124955.jpg
View attachment 1052887 Measured for shocks today. The forklift is light duty, and wouldn't lift any higher but I got a pretty good idea of what I need. The suspension seems like it will be flexy enough for my needs.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom