Do i really need a hi lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I really need a Hi Lift? I mostly use the truck as a expo type rig exploring on short back country trips of a few night. Mostly our west, often at higher elevation where trees and good winching points are kind of thin. The truck is pretty capable, FZJ80 with little lift, 33" little armor, lockers and Warn M12000. That being said I almost always travel alone. I don't mind getting a hi lift but I don't want to carry what I don't need or buy things "just because" everyone carries one. What do you guys think? Is it a "must have" for solo back country travel? If so what length should I get for a FJ80?

I've faithfully carried a Hi-lift around for 15+ years of 'wheeling and trailriding in the Southwest, and still do.
In all this time, I've used it maybe a handful of times, and even then, a good bottle jack would have been better.
The only time where the hi-lift was essential when we had to lift the corner of a truck out of a hole, and have the vehicle drive off the jack :hillbilly:

Lifting out of a hole is where I could see it as valuable.

Lifting out of a hole is where I could see it as valuable.
Yes, but I suppose you can guess what the fender of that particular vehicle looked like after this endeavour...:hillbilly:

The issue I've found with the hi-lift is that more often than not, lifting the vehicle with a hi-lift quickly creates a somewhat unstable situation that wouldn't be any better with the extra wide base that's available as accessory. On our FJ40 with the suspension flex of a shopping cart, it's one thing to e.g. get a tire off the ground. On my K5 with a fairly flexible suspension, it's quite another, and I don't like having such a heavy vehicle high off the ground. Haven't needed the hi-lift with the LX yet; shouldn't be much of an issue there as the 2" lift suspension is fairly limited in terms of axle movement.

I've used mine more often than not to get someone off of being high centered. It's just another tool; useful when you need it and dead weight/insurance when you don't.

The last time I needed and used my Hi-Lift

bent hi-lift.jpg

I've used mine much more around the yard than off roading. But I still would not go way out there alone without it, no question...

Ive used mine numerous times. Invaluable tool when stuck, and other occasions as well.

use mine more for tire repair than pulling or jacking

Was out wheeling alone today and got stationary (you're only stuck if you have someone else get you out right?). My first thought was, "it's a good thing I have a winch"! My second thought was, "it'd sure be nice to have a winch that works, rather than one that I tested yesterday, which doesn't work today". Then, I thought several other things before I thought, "I do have a high lift winch!,.... er Jack. :) That's when things started getting better.
IMG_201503271806.jpg
IMG_2015032720381.jpg

IMG_2015032759444.jpg

IMG_2015032732748.jpg

Was out wheeling alone today and got stationary (you're only stuck if you have someone else get you out right?). My first thought was, "it's a good thing I have a winch"! My second thought was, "it'd sure be nice to have a winch that works, rather than one that I tested yesterday, which doesn't work today". Then, I thought several other things before I thought, "I do have a high lift winch!,.... er Jack. :) That's when things started getting better. View attachment 1052071View attachment 1052073
Damn! How do you slide into that from what looks to be flat land?

Well, the funny thing is I was trying to line up for a small Hill, and my spotter said I was past the threat of the pit, oh wait, I didn't have a spotter.

Why must everyone get worked up about details anyways? :p

The LC had already been moved back under its own power at this point, but this pic shows the hill best.

IMG_2015032743580.jpg

I had the taller hi lift with my 80 series, it had a 3 1/2"lift with 315's and the 48" wasn't tall enough. I don't use one often, but enough to make it a must have piece of equipment.

I use my high-lift mostly for decoration.

Here is what I use it for:

I will admit that there have been a few times, a very few times, that it was actually needed. Most of the time, there are better options.

Damn! How do you slide into that from what looks to be flat land?

I know how he did it, watched two guys in a row do this one day. You think you can just edge along the side of that puddle but the slick mud will slip out from under that side of the vehicle and away you go. Lucky you didn't roll that thing. @superstan26 whats up with your winch, is that a Badlands 12k ? I just bought one and I'm hoping it doesn't leave me stranded.

That's exactly what happened.

I was trying to go around the mud pit because "IH8MUD", (the fact that I was alone had more to do with it) and as I was lining up for the hill I was creeping along the edge of the pit when the wall collapsed under the weight of my tire causing me to slide in. I got the pucker effect, but all was well in the end.

My winch was a badlands 12k, and I honestly think that the problem was likely a bad connection somewhere, but I checked what I could and nothing changed. Time wasn't on my side so I decided I'd do what I could rather than spend what could potentially be a lot of wasted time trying to troubleshoot.

I exchanged the winch at HF, and upgraded to a wireless controller while I was at it.

*It's always good to have a back up plan, and honestly you should never wheel alone.

LancruiserPhil's pic above does not surprise me at all.
When I had an 82 shortbed toyota pickup (mostly stock), the hilift got me out of all kinds of stuck situations, including jacking up and pushing the truck over and over until it was out of the snow ditch and 180 degress back on the road, and on a different occasion using it as a winch to roll the truck back onto it's wheels after rolling upside down. For a truck that light (and for a poor college kid without a winch), the hilift was perfect and not that dangerous - I only smashed a few fingers.
Since I got the 80, I've gotten stuck a whole bunch of times as well, but I don't think the hilift got me out of a single one. The 80 is just way too heavy. It also flexes too much with OME 2.5". I've jacked the bumper almost to the limit of my 60" and barely lifted a tire. The jack sinks in soft stuff easier, it tilts, slips out, and falls over very frequently. Super dangerous stuff. I've had it flex very scary amounts. Using it to winch with once was also scary to the point I gave up before something snapped and took me out.

I still carry it since I have a spot on the bumper for it, and it may come in handy for a recovery someday, but I honestly wouldn't feel helpless not carrying one and I feel a lot safer not using it much anymore. But I can also afford a winch and tire deflators etc now, so I can go that route. For the price, if that's all you can afford, it is still worth it. Just be very very careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom