Soon in market for 100 series...some questions.... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are probably over 1 million of these motors on US roads. Has anybody seen a documented case of piston/valve damage on a 2uz-fe from a broken timing belt?

Depends on what you consider "documented", I suppose. I was told it is, and my source (a veteran, master certified Lexus tech that I trust) is good enough for me, but I know that's far from proof. I'm a stranger to you, and he's a stranger once removed. I don't know how I can prove it to anyone. I'm sort of sorry I mentioned it. It's not my goal to convince anyone I'm right, or get in an argument over this. In the interest of public knowledge, I'll snoop around for some sort of definitive answer rather than "some guy told me" to hopefully put the issue to rest.

If a timing belt or tensioner fails, engine damage can happen not necessarily will happen. Maybe there is something with the belt completely breaking decreases the risk of damage versus the belt getting seriously out of time forcing the valves through a full cam cycle that is out of time causing major damage. There's just not enough information out there to say it's an interference engine, but don't worry about it. Most of the information out there is that it is an interference engine.

It just doesn't seem worth rolling the dice either way. Replace the t-belt at 90k, definitely consider t-belt, tensioner, idlers at 180k.

@nitsuj , I believe all literature says it's an interference engine. All the Toyota techs say it is too... but in all the instances I can remember, they also say they've never had a t-belt repair with valve/piston damage. A couple of guys on here have checked for interference by hand cranking the camshaft with a piston at TDC w/o contact. This is not the same as a hot engine running at 5k rpm though.

I still will do my t-belt service every 90k. If you find out any more info, please let us know.

So I had a long talk with a tech I really trust today. He says it's an interference engine, and what's more, he knows he's saw valve damage from broken belts. That said, I realize to anyone else, that's not proof, so his input is not meant to prove I'm right. Just that I'm personally convinced. I also asked him if he had access to some sort of super secret technician resource that could put the matter to bed. Basically, no, he doesn't. He said if you ask a tech adviser at Toyota or Lexus, they will say it is, but it's not printed officially by them anywhere he knows of. So there you have it. The official word is that there's no official word.

I bought a really clean 98 the other day. 154K on the clock. Couple almost invisible door dings. Maintenance records complete. Timing belt changed at 109K. Interior immaculate. All items on the Slee checklist were checked as well as what you folks suggested. Only leak is a minor seep on tranny pan, just enough to collect dust, never a drip. Virtually new tires, all 5. Always garaged. For 154K on the clock and 16-17 years old it is in remarkable shape. It was likely a grocery getter with previous owner, an airline pilot who had it since new. Took me awhile to get rear diff to lock but once I did, it worked perfectly. Probably from lack of use getting groceries! I had no way to get it home as it is 140 miles away so the seller has it garaged for me until I can get there next week to pick it up. Already titled, smogged and registered, ready to go.
Now I got to build a garage for all three land cruisers.....damn!
I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

^^^
That sounds way too good. I'd bet it has been in a flood zone.:D Just kidding. Congrats, great find.

Last edited:
Thanks, Arizona truck all it's life, only rust is very light surface on the lower control arms from dust and sand slowly taking off the paint in tiny spots

Some pics of the new cruiser. these were the sellers photos. I pick it up tuesday
102_1711 (1024x768).jpg
102_1742 (1024x768).jpg
102_1748 (1024x768).jpg
102_1761 (1024x768).jpg
102_1771 (1024x768).jpg

that looks great. i just got a 100 and have been driving it after all the things i did to it for 2 weeks. i love it man. i came to this forum knowing nothing. i now know more and have had fun learning. if you want to see a fun 5 week progression of purchase through first round of 9k in mods, check out newbie introduction/purchase challenges. i re-read my 5 week history and was amazed at what i learned. love your truck. would like to hear what you plan on doing to it.

I'm pretty new to the world of the 100 series, but I can share what little info I've learned here, and from working at a car dealership.

First, depending on where you live, don't listen to what anyone from the south or west says about an acceptable amount of rust. Those guys never see rust and panic at even tiny amounts. Here in the northeast, even plastic rusts a bit. We deal with it. Rotting is bad, rust can be dealt with. The body souldn't be rusting, but in my area, the undercarriage will have rust.

Second, in all reality, the LC/LX are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. But if you only read forums, you'll see a lot of problems. Well, that because people only post when they have problems. And, people frequenting forums are only a small percentage of total owners. What I'm getting at is even though no one ever posts "hey guys, just wanted to let you know my Landcruiser is still running great", the vast majority of them are. According to most sources, Toyota/Lexus make the most reliable vehicles on the road. And, the LX/LC maybe the most reliable models made by the most reliable brand. That's not biased fanboy talk.

Third, it seems to me as a newbie that the AHC thing is mostly blown out of proportion. If you search this forum for "AHC", I'd wager you'd find far more posts from people worried about the AHC than from people actually having problems with it. As long as it's taken care of, it seems to have a very good chance of lasting a very long time. If/when it does fail, you can replace it with non-AHC suspension.

Fourth, Timing belt. This does need to be done. But it needs to be done on virtually any timing belt equipped vehicle by 90,000 miles. In fact, I can't prove it, but I seem to remember some of my cars in the past needing it at 60,000 mile intervals. So, yea, it's a possible expense, but not one thats unique to LC/LX.

Fifth, price. Don't bother. In my short time here, one of the most common questions (besides AHC stuff) is "How much should I pay for this..." One member put together a formula that averages asking prices. That took math skills and patience I can't even comprehend. Bottom line is, don't get bogged down it what other people think is a good deal. Get the right vehicle for you at a price you feel the market in your area will bear. If you post a value question here, you'll likely get several answers ranging from "That's a fair price if the timing belt is done" to "That one has AHC, I'd throw garlic and holy water at it and run away" to some guy from Arizona asking what the tiny spot of brown stuff is on the corner of a bumper bracket. In my area, they don't come up for sale often. It's not like shopping for a Honda Civic or a Jeep where theres one for sale on every street corner. When you find one that looks decent, check whats for sale on Cars.com, craigslist and wherever else and decide if the seller is asking a fair price. If he is, and you like the vehicle go for it. Again, these are reliable. It's not like Yugo (remember those?) shopping where you have to cross your fingers and hope you get the 1 out of 10 good one. Even a high mileage and beat up LC is likely going to be more reliable than a new Fiat.

Just one new guys opinion.

boy did i love this post, especially about rust. what a great summation on stepping back and using common sense

It absolutely is an interference motor. That's not to say that a broke belt automatically means a bricked engine, but it certainly can cause damage if it breaks at the right time in the cycle. It's sort of a gamble. The belt can break and cause no damage, or it can break and cause all sorts of damage. That said, modern timing belts are insanely durable. They would "probably" go far more than 90,000 miles. In fact, most do. But I'd never recommend trying it.

Another point to potential purchasers looking here, this forum doesn't represent the majority of Landcuiser owners. Not only is this a very small number of them, but in general, a poster here is probably more knowledgeable about Landcruisers than your average owner. Bordering on fanatical. (In a good way) I'd be willing to bet $10 that most Landcruiser owners outside of internet forums don't even know the belt needs replaced. Or even what a timing belt is. This group is more knowledgeable than even your average dealer tech. The sad but very true fact is, there's not a ton of LC/LX's out there compared to other vehicles. Even a busy Lexus shop may only see one or two LX's a month. If that. So while we discuss, debate and document every little detail of these trucks, most of them are just happily taking the kids to soccer practice day in and day out without a second though about the AHC or timing belt.
i like the point you make about this forum representing only a sliver of land cruiser owners, and i am really happy to be a recent convert. i have never had this much fun with a car

@BlackLab what is the link to you build post? I may not do anything to this for awhile, just drive and enjoy. There has got to be some issues to address and I will do those first as they become apparent. One long test drive does not tell all. First thing I will do is check if any and all recalls have been addressed, one I can think of is the factory tow wiring harness and converter. I have my 40 and my 60 that are both ready to wheel in the back country with a turn of the key. This makes my 10th land cruiser. Always were 40's and 60's...never newer. My first rig was a '69 40 factory soft top I bought when I got a drivers license in 1971. As always, i will learn from the experts and shade tree mechanics on mud and see where the 100 takes me. I'd love to have an expedition type build. But I'm not going to just throw money at a perfectly good platform without seriously thinking things through. I'll post up pictures of my 'fleet' when I get it home next week. I'm excited, almost like when I bought that first FJ40 so very long ago.

And thank you all for your support and for all your answers you can provide as I grow into this vehicle. The MUD community rocks!

@BlackLab what is the link to you build post? I may not do anything to this for awhile, just drive and enjoy. There has got to be some issues to address and I will do those first as they become apparent. One long test drive does not tell all. First thing I will do is check if any and all recalls have been addressed, one I can think of is the factory tow wiring harness and converter. I have my 40 and my 60 that are both ready to wheel in the back country with a turn of the key. This makes my 10th land cruiser. Always were 40's and 60's...never newer. My first rig was a '69 40 factory soft top I bought when I got a drivers license in 1971. As always, i will learn from the experts and shade tree mechanics on mud and see where the 100 takes me. I'd love to have an expedition type build. But I'm not going to just throw money at a perfectly good platform without seriously thinking things through. I'll post up pictures of my 'fleet' when I get it home next week. I'm excited, almost like when I bought that first FJ40 so very long ago.

i forewarn you that my naivete may drive you nuts in the beginning, but im having a great time with my new 100. I think i am posting this link correctly. if not if you search under "purchase challenges" it come up. have fun laughing WITH me. look forward to hearing your mod thoughts

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ne...-challenges-ignorance-acknowledgement.836835/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom