FJ25 Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the flange I would use two large pipe wrenches. But would wait unit your torch at home and the a extra female sweat to male threaded elbow just case you damage that one. As for the auto bleed don't remember ever seeing any you could take a apart and clean. Most are crimped together. Seen some large auto bleeds for commercial boils that bolted together. Almost everything I worked was chilled water. Large system would have a ball valve to remove them. Can't see why there code against it on heat water. Most commercial building here use eletric strip heat. Home either natural gas furnace or heat pump. Our cabin has a electric furnace. I have a heat pump with back up strip heat to install. I plan to play around to figure the temperature the heat because worthless in the winter.No natural gas available and with the wood stove can't see going propane. With the size of the cabin and the layout I can load it in the evening and it only be in the mid sixties when we get up. But only when the temperature are no lower than the twenties.

Auto bleeders don't seem to come apart on mine... They are as you mentioned 'crimped together' they are done with leaking ... So that's good

The relief valve however ... It's so small of an amount of water coming out... But still it is coming out ... Since yesterday maybe a tablespoon of water if that

I'll give it alil more time ... And some praying :)

As Jim mentioned the T/P valve is a safety device it won't hurt to replace it just to be safe. I have to ask did it start leaking on it's own or did you lift relief to help drain the system for the flange leak repair?

10* and loading the wood stove at 4 am.

Finally sitting and reading at least the chat thread. John don't feel bad about the numbskull who changed the 4runner oil. I did #2's oil in her subaru (usually do when it gets down to a couple quarts in the pan) and finally had a Fram filter bite me. The filter tightened up but didn't seal at all 5 qts of liquid gold all over the shop. Turned out the threads were buggered which I should have felt. Reminded me of the days when I peddled parts as a kid. Customer service was a thing back then and we routinely sold parts by remembering common numbers. The boss sold a filter for a regulars car, only problem it was the wrong car he was thinking of. Anyways low man (me) got to go with the easy dry and sweeping compound to clean the guys garage.:rolleyes:

Also took me twenty minutes to figure out why mud looked different and there were no more smilies and stuff. @Cruiser_Nerd turned off java yet again. What the hell is this @ crap? I feel like that old lady taping crap on her wall. Typing @cruiser_ner is so much easier than.............back to bed.

Last edited:
These days you go back and say.. The threads on the filter are bad .... They say ... You did it

Customer service is definitely not what it used to be

Your oil episode reminds me of the time when I was working for a shop and the 80+ yr old mechanic worked on a car, an oil change and tuneup ... Drive it out ... Parked it in the lot.... when filling out the paperwork realized he forgot to put the oil in... Went out ... Drove it in... Added oil :(

@Living in the Past
The valve started leaking when I opened it to drain the system... I have a strong feeling that may have been a bad idea :)

I kinda like the 'tag' because it brings attention to you in the conversation :)

10* and loading the wood stove at 4 am.

Finally sitting and reading at least the chat thread. John don't feel bad about the numbskull who changed the 4runner oil. I did #2's oil in her subaru (usually do when it gets down to a couple quarts in the pan) and finally had a Fram filter bite me. The filter tightened up but didn't seal at all 5 qts of liquid gold all over the shop. Turned out the threads were buggered which I should have felt. Reminded me of the days when I peddled parts as a kid. Customer service was a thing back then and we routinely sold parts by remembering common numbers. The boss sold a filter for a regulars car, only problem it was the wrong car he was thinking of. Anyways low man (me) got to go with the easy dry and sweeping compound to clean the guys garage.:rolleyes:

Also took me twenty minutes to figure out why mud looked different and there were no more smilies and stuff. @Cruiser_Nerd turned off java yet again. What the hell is this @ crap? I feel like that old lady taping crap on her wall. Typing @cruiser_ner is so much easier than.............back to bed.

These days you go back and say.. The threads on the filter are bad .... They say ... You did it

Customer service is definitely not what it used to be

Your oil episode reminds me of the time when I was working for a shop and the 80+ yr old mechanic worked on a car, an oil change and tuneup ... Drive it out ... Parked it in the lot.... when filling out the paperwork realized he forgot to put the oil in... Went out ... Drove it in... Added oil :(

@Living in the Past
The valve started leaking when I opened it to drain the system... I have a strong feeling that may have been a bad idea :)

I kinda like the 'tag' because it brings attention to you in the conversation :)

I think my worse old mishap was as a kid sixteen or seventeen. Changed the oil in the family 62 Impala. The oil filter on the 327 was cartridge that had metal cover with a long bolt into the block. No type of jack stands and it sat low to the ground Had to install it by feel. I misaligned the cover with the block. Filed it with five quarts of oil and started it up. Most of the oil ended up on the garage floor.:bang: The Toyota 5.7 uses the same setup except the cover is plastic and threads into the block. In the end is a metal plug to drain the filter before removing to reduce the mess. Of coarse the plug was so tight the whole cover just spun off. Since I planned on leaving town I didn't mess with trying to get the plug loose. Murphy's law if I would have tried getting the plug loose the housing would have cracked and would needed to be ordered. Second time around I was able to get it loose without breaking anything. On the 4Runner I was afraid the oil leak was caused by something I did off road which wasn't the case. Original plan was my youngest was going to drive. I'm lucky that didn't happen as my daughter has a history of ignoring lights on the dash and destroying a engine. I fixed it and only needed a fraction of quart to get it full, oil was still with range on the dip stick. When I replaced the CV axle I stretched the wires for the ABS sensor to tight and broke at least one wire.:( Lucky the 4Runner is a popular vehicle, few bucks at the pick and pull and I had good sensor.

I have no idea of tagging or Java I'm lucky to post anything.:meh:

Back to your problems Johnny on automatic bleeders it's common for them to leak when they let air out. There is a ball that floats and seals against top, as the bleeder fills with air the ball drops and the air vents out the top and bring a little water along with it. I put a little thought to your flange that should be replaced. Like I said two large pipe wrenches. Put one on the pipe/elbow with the jaws facing up. Use blocks of wood or something else to hold tight against the pipe. Do the same end the wrench to apply pressure against the way you need to turn the other wrench. Even with one person you should be able to apply enough pressure to break the threads loose. Appling heat won't hurt but never needed on piping that small. Curious does your system have a automatic fill or do you have to fill it manually?

Super Bowl hype, glad I don't partake. John did you at least rent a couple houses for the week?

I am not into the Super Bowl thing... Unless its for a ny team :)

I do not see the need to root for a team I care nothing about LOL

@Living in the Past
It does have an auto fill ... But don't know that much about it... I wondered about the amount it keeps the system... Usually it's about 11 lbs in there .... I normally boost it to 19 ... Max is 30lbs

What is it suppose to keep at? Is 11 ok seems to be on the low side of the limit as indicated by PO's black sharpie marks on the gauge :)

No woodstove here in the Phoenix area. Last few days if I don't open the house during the night and close it up mid morning I going to be running the A/C. Temperatures predicted to be in the mid for another week. You guys in the North East has it so good.

nice little piece of tojo art. was buying some 70 series bits and pieces from don kyatt (one of perths most well regarded tojo shops). asked how much crap i had to buy to get a copy of this print hanging in the shop! seems the owner commissioned this painting for the 40th anniversary of the shop and did a small run of prints; one for each employee. nice piece. crappy photo with the reflection from the shop lighting.

20150216_160911.JPG

I'm really liking the new Jeep Africa...a LOT!!!
Taller, longer, turbo diesel...yup, really hope it goes into production...can't wait to get one!! :)
jeep-wrangler-africa-concept-02-1.jpg

I had initially heard lots of goods things about the Jeep Rubicon, but I got news a few weeks ago that they are not holding up as anticipated by the Border Patrol. I spoke to a mechanic in town that services fleet vehicles and they were seeing significant failures with the Jeeps. Engineers came out to assess the damages and concluded that the vehicles were rated for approximately 30,000 miles of off-road use, and the Border Patrol agents were consuming that in a small amount of time, rendering the truck inoperable.

they were seeing a wide array of suspension and frame issues

I like it from the outside... But am always saddened because the newer jeeps do have a very cruiseresk look to them... Kinda like something mr.t should have thought out and made better

On a side note... Hay it's Dean!!!

Been awhile! I was going to call ya yesterday ... Were your ears ringing?

Thank you for the Heidi story! This reminds me of the night my wife's grandmother called us at 4AM to say she was out the front of our house and could we please help her out of the car as she couldn't easily get out by herself. She was over 90 and on a whim had decided to do a lap of Aus by herself. Legendary lady who successfully pioneered revolutionary citrus irrigation techniques in remote areas... Dearly missed.

I had initially heard lots of goods things about the Jeep Rubicon, but I got news a few weeks ago that they are not holding up as anticipated by the Border Patrol. I spoke to a mechanic in town that services fleet vehicles and they were seeing significant failures with the Jeeps. Engineers came out to assess the damages and concluded that the vehicles were rated for approximately 30,000 miles of off-road use, and the Border Patrol agents were consuming that in a small amount of time, rendering the truck inoperable.

they were seeing a wide array of suspension and frame issues

Hey Sean, I read that they would come with Dana44s, and considering the extra length, I'm hoping that they strengthen the suspension frame!!
I'm also hopeful that they'll offer a fold and tumble, removable third row seat!
The only question I have is concerning the spare...if they put that big 35" on the back door, they are going to have to mold the back bumper around it as it would take away too much of the rear visibility. If they move the fuel tank to under the back seat, they could try to stuff it in the rear floor I suppose...just don't see how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom