Torn CV Boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is an easy question I am a 40 guy so I am still learning Tacomas. I have a tear in my CV boot so I know I need to replace the CV. I am wondering how long I can drive on it with the tear? I have to drive down to Portland from Seattle this weekend (about 400mi round trip) and was wondering if I should fix it before I go or if it would be ok to make the trip? I do not have a clicking noise and I haven't noticed any issues yet. I do get a vibration between 55-60mph but that could be the wheels/tires/other parts. Just looking for thoughts on this. If I need to do it tonight I think I can I just have to hunt down the tools/parts.

Thanks,
-Irish

It won't be too long before it will chuck the grease out of the cv , once that happens it will burn up in short order .

If you have the vibes , check to see if there is play at diff end of the cv shaft - it's a known issue of an internal needle bearing in the diff that fails and causes vibrations . Need to join into TacomaWorld , they have all the fixes and info on replacing that bearing with a bushing from the outside - much cheaper than tearing down the diff to replace the bearing . So far mine is good yet , but only 32k on my '08 .
Sarge

I am going to replace it. There's almost 198k on them (I think they are original) so replacement is/was due. Thanks!

Read up on that post on Tacoma World - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...nt-differential-bearing-vibration-thread.html

Just take care at the diff end and check for play or scoring on that cv shaft , if that internal bearing is worn it can produce some serious issues with the front diff .

Also , have you gotten the spring pack letter and had a frame inspection ?
Sarge

Thanks for the info. I don't have any play right now. I need to get my new TREs on the FJ40 so I can DD it this week and work on the Tacoma. I haven't heard anything about the spring pack letter, so I will have to look into that. I had a frame inspection 2 years ago and it still looks good.

Thanks!

I just noticed you have a '99 , my bad . Most of the issues showed up in the '05 and later models , mine's an '08 and the driver's side needle bearing is shot , making the steering wheel vibrate . Shaft is pretty loose where it goes into the diff , looks like the bushing mod here pretty soon and probably a new shaft as well . BS they can't do better than this - if mine weren't in such excellent condition it would be up for a solid axle swap in a heartbeat .
Sarge

The CVs are simple to swap out and loads easier than putting on new boots.

Make sure you have a socket to fit the axle nut before starting. Slightly break the axle nuts while it's still on the ground, put it on jack stands, remove tires, remove axle nut, whack axle with a 2x4 and a shop hammer until it moves some, remove bolts to/and lower ball joint, push axle through and pull knuckle out of way. Now the fun part; have new axle ready to go in, pop out old axle from diff with something(I use the handle to my smaller floor jack), some oil may run out(it's normal and will eventually stop), or you can shove the new axle in and it'll quit then. Make sure you torque the axle nut to spec. IIRC it's 200 and some change ft/lbs. I have a manual somewhere on in my computer that says it. But I'm at work right now.

If it's lifted? Do the "boot slide mod" before installing them. Simply cut the bands off of the inner ends of both boots while it's there on the garage floor. Slide them as far as you can towards each other, burp some air back into them so they'll puff back up, make sure all the ribs are out, then tie wrap the boot ends or put a hose clamp on them. If you have some proper CV grease handy, you could squirt some of that in there.

I used the SDHQ boots and placed them in the factory locations. Had a local shop do it and it was $60. They cleaned, inspected, installed and greased everything. No anger or busted knuckles on my end and kept my factory axles.

Id recommend using a similar approach. :poof:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom