The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Semi random BBQ thing, went to a newish place here in SLC, HD BBQ. Friend of mine and I went, he's from Texas, so he "knows" BBQ. Anyway, he got brisket, the guy behind the counter pulls a new one out of the warming rack, unwraps the foil, and then proceeds to completely scrape all the bark and fat on top off with his knife. Like, really aggresively, and then straight into the trash. We both looked at each other with a "wtf?!" And then rather than slicing it, they diced his brisket up. Meat was good, but their process is weird.

Oh, and they had their little manifesto printed up on the wall and in it had the line "fellow competitors shall not shigg against us". Only def. we could find of that was a not pleasing one on Urban Dict.

Last edited:
Semi random BBQ thing, went to a newish place here in SLC, HD BBQ. Friend of mine and I went, he's from Texas, so he "knows" BBQ. Anyway, he got brisket, the guy behind the counter pulls a new one out of the warming rack, unwraps the foil, and then proceeds to completely scrape all the bark and fat on top off with his knife. Like, really aggresively, and then straight into the trash. We both looked at each other with a "wtf?!" And then rather than slicing it, they diced his brisket up. Meat was good, but their process is weird.

Oh, and they had their little manifesto printed up on the wall and in it had the line "fellow competitors shall not shigg against us". Only def. we could find of that was a not pleasing one on Urban Dict.

It's pretty amazing what some parts of the country will do to a brisket. I ordered a brisket at the meat counter at a grocer in South Carolina. The fella showed me the packer brisket, which looked acceptable. Then he took it to the back and whacked it in two pieces down the middle. I'm sure I had the WTF look, but accepted it as I figured it was the best I could do being in alien territory.

I like Utah and BBQ, maybe I could move up there an not scrape the bark off the meat and make a living.

Yup. Finding a packer brisket in these parts is a biatch. I think the last one I saw was in Sam's Club. Most meat departments around here will hand you a trimmed (ok ruint) 7-10 pound flat end and try to tell you it is a "whole" brisket ....

ONSC Meet & Greet 2015

70lb pig. Rubbed and injected. 8 hours at 250*F on a gas cooker with hickory chips. Fed about 60 people with little left over. Check out all the sides on that plate - we eat well. And, that's ground elk with the beans!

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

That looks good!

I have to cook 100 pounds of Boston Butts for a wedding on April 18th. Trying to find someone to help me with prep as my usual help won't be around.

That looks good!

I have to cook 100 pounds of Boston Butts for a wedding on April 18th. Trying to find someone to help me with prep as my usual help won't be around.
Too bad April kills me with work. That'd be a good experience helping out, if the stress of wedding formality and importance didn't wreck it!

...via IH8MUD app

Too bad April kills me with work. That'd be a good experience helping out, if the stress of wedding formality and importance didn't wreck it!

...via IH8MUD app

It's not that bad really, just sucks having to pull all that by yourself after it's done. I just enjoy having someone around to help with things and listen to music and drink beer all night. I have to do another wedding to cater in November down in Helen, GA. That one should be fun, going to try to rent a cabin on the Chattooga to get some fishing in.

It's not that bad really, just sucks having to pull all that by yourself after it's done. I just enjoy having someone around to help with things and listen to music and drink beer all night. I have to do another wedding to cater in November down in Helen, GA. That one should be fun, going to try to rent a cabin on the Chattooga to get some fishing in.
Keep me in mind. Fishing and pork sounds good.

Ribs, sausage and shrooms. If you haven't tried smoked shrooms... JUST DO IT!!!( but only for 30-40 minutes)

@Mr Tibbs and I were talking yesterday about smoking and higher altitude quickens the cook... I agree, what is everyone thoughts on this... Hence my need for BBQ TODAY!

Charlie is so funny... he refuses to come inside when I'm smoking... GUARDS THE PIT!

J
IMG_20150329_102155_281.jpg
IMG_20150329_114310_716.jpg

Looking good, those are some thick ribs. Wish I was out smoking, my allergies got me this weekend and I can't smell or taste anything at the moment.

Looking good, those are some thick ribs. Wish I was out smoking, my allergies got me this weekend and I can't smell or taste anything at the moment.

They were tasty. I have half a slab leftover. OB's BBQ sauce would clear up your sinus issue!

J

DSC00389.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

Dang, I gotta try some mushrooms. Did two racks in the smoker yesterday, next time I try some shrooms. Looks great.

Dang, I gotta try some mushrooms. Did two racks in the smoker yesterday, next time I try some shrooms. Looks great.

Shrooms are killer, as soon as they start to wilt/wrinkle that's when I pull the off. Poke small holes with a knife in the tinfoil and place a mushroom over each hole.

J

That is now on my to-do list. Now I have to smoke something this weekend. Thanks for the tip. Anyone ever done up a chuck roast like maybe a pulled beef instead of pulled pork?

That is now on my to-do list. Now I have to smoke something this weekend. Thanks for the tip. Anyone ever done up a chuck roast like maybe a pulled beef instead of pulled pork?

YES SIR!! I cook it just like a Boston butt or shoulder.. Same rub, wrap it and let it sit in fridge over night, 200-220F for 6-12 hours pending size.

I shred it and put it on buns, serve it stand alone, burrito filler, makes a pretty tasty J's Philly shred sammich too!!!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom