Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 4BD1T has an extremely light flywheel for it's size, a Cummins 4BT flywheel is roughly double the weight and inertia.
Yes they get rough if you give them full torque at lower rpm. But yours should be better than mine with the extra inertia of the torque converter.

I plan to fit an inertia ring to the outside of my flywheel to almost double the inertia and increase smoothness down low. But I have bigger fish to fry right now.

BTW, Vern from Aussie with his TD04HL-19T 4BD1T has joined 4BTswaps.

Well if your pulling 120 at the top of the coq, sounds pretty darn good. I don't think these trannies can take much more it seems when there old . Sounds like your there with a little room to de fuel to bring the egts down, and have your tranny in its comfort zone.

Well if your pulling 120 at the top of the coq, sounds pretty darn good. I don't think these trannies can take much more it seems when there old . Sounds like your there with a little room to de fuel to bring the egts down, and have your tranny in its comfort zone.
It was not the coke just a similar gadient hill. Not as long of a drive. I do need to turn the fuel down a bit before I tackle that hill.

Headed back out sgain today to try and find a nice spot to let the dog run. Will probubly end up at one of tge usual places hale creek ect.

Love hale creek- amazing camping spot on the lake. My doggies enjoyed themselves immensely swimming in the cold water. . The drive out is a bit interesting if it's raining and you're carrying 45psi in your tires lol.

Yeah its nice this time of year. In the summer its a gongshow most weekends. Today was great, sunny warm and no one in sight. Put 350kms on the truck today from fill to 350kms was 1/2 a tank got to love diesel efficency off road. 200kms of that tanks was off road and about 15-20kms was in low.

Picture of the lake today and the amazingly snow free mountains. Very odd for this time of year.

[QUOTE/]

On another note I think I am making enough power that the converter lock up is now starting the slip, if I roll into it the truck starts the shake violently. If I do the same unlocked its slooth.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing, but while I was working on my kickdown cable adjustment I'd get a shudder if I was rolling in the truck slowly (say through a stop sign or yield) and then mashed the throttle. It was just on downshift and I determined as you suggest that it was line pressure. Tightening the kickdown cable a couple turns did the trick. No issues since.

[QUOTE/]

On another note I think I am making enough power that the converter lock up is now starting the slip, if I roll into it the truck starts the shake violently. If I do the same unlocked its slooth.

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing, but while I was working on my kickdown cable adjustment I'd get a shudder if I was rolling in the truck slowly (say through a stop sign or yield) and then mashed the throttle. It was just on downshift and I determined as you suggest that it was line pressure. Tightening the kickdown cable a couple turns did the trick. No issues since.[/QUOTE]
Yeah mine is different, I can be rolling along at 100km/hr for 5 min with the converter locked an in 4th gear. When I roll into it the whole truck will start to shudder as soon as it hits 18ish psi. Its not all the time though and I can't seem to fuigure out what makes the diffrence. Im thinking its maybe trans temp.

I did a 0-100kms/hr did not time it very accuretly but did it in 14sec. The transmission was complaing though quite a bit and when the converter locks in 3rd gear it blows through the gear till I back off the throttle. Its got a lot more in it its just getting through the trains that is the tricky bit.

Anyone else running a 4bd through a a440 dont get scared, my trans was out of the truck with 200+ miles and the pan had quite a bit of clutch and plate material in it. This has kind of been a proof of concept for Dons Valvebody and my adapter. Im just trying to decide if I want to get the trans rebuilt and get a billet Wholesale conveter or not.

I think its the transmission , not your converter. You say you think it could be temperature. You dont have a gauge? that road runner t/c has been used in a couple of hdt's for t/c only and has fixed the problems of shudder. I got mine done locally with f350 bands fixed my problem with shudder for normal use. Its only with it fueled up that it wants to throw the transmission out the back , i figure the way it keeps the temps down it is doing its job. You would never own an a440 or a a442 where i live without a tranny guage thats for sure, even if it only did 0-100 in140 sec.
you went through your motor and did a bunch of info tracking down on your transmission , i thought you deemed your clutches good and even added a couple extra. Could this be coming from the front of your t/c. Or are you saying its a bad converter or a pressure issue ? To many clutches? With the hp your saying i highly doubt you'd be beyond the t/c alone even if it is only an a440. I've seen some nice 12ht's with way better numbers and no tranny upgrades high mileage and no hop. What does don think ?

I have a trans temp guage and I live where you live so im not sure where you are going with that?

The transmission in my truck is bone stock with 200+ miles. Its got a roadrunner converter and a VB. I have not built one with extra clutches yet. It does not shudder at all when the converter is unlocked. No slipping or flairing on shifts. Not sure how else I can narrow down what is causing it.

Don has not had this issue so understandably cant help much. I still need to play around with line pressure a bit more.

When I was saying it maybe related to trans temp when the trans is cold. When i drive for longer than 30min on the hwy my trans temps are in the dub 130f and it seems to do it. If its in the 150+f range wich it very rarely is it does not seem to do it as much if at all. But I need to test it more first.

What kind of tranny fluid are you running Jerms? Perhaps a switch to synthetic if you haven't might adjust your viscosity like it would be if it's hotter? Fairly expensive switch mind you, and it wouldn't fix the problem entirely, but might get it out if your operating temp range if it is related to viscosity. Course I have no clue about auto trannies .

Oh thought i remember you talking about extra clutches way back in your build. And i miss understood your gauge settup , my bad. But i dont think you can compare the top of lynn valley 800 feet above sea level with grade elevation changes of 400 feet just to drive the kids to school or hit the corner store, and thats within a half mile. To the flood plains of langley that you can drive miles and still be under a 100 feet above sea level. Then again im assumeing you live in langley, i could be completely wrong again.. . Believe me i hope you figure this out with the tranny its the only reason im following this thread. I too have gone through the exact same issue since boosingt up my hdt abit. Done my converter, added three coolers , had my tranny driven and deemed good by four different tranny shops.. Ateb has boosted up a few trucks over the years adding this and that from g turbos to special pumps into the likes of full wholesale autos to road runner and tcs converters there is a limit .i just didn't think the isuzu would display it without a bunch of mods.
My truck only shuddered off the line when i was trying to do burn outs, and 1-2 shifts. Never felt it at highway speeds. Heat was definitely an issue though. I found that i can control heat way better with the higher revs..Again not the same transmission a442f- a440, but more of a heads up that the billet tc is not the complete end all . Besides my weak converter the guy who did mine said the pilot of the tc is the weak link that was the main reason for shudder. Im beginning to think that the tranny clutches can't hold in the lockup in lower revs and lower gears. Thats my $1. 50 s worth hope it helps you a bit with direction.

What ended up fixing your issues with the tranny shudder and the motor overheating ? Did you flog your truck ? I thought i have seen your truck on the road but someone else is driving it.

Keep us posted Jeremy. Mine is almost complete just have to put my lift on and get it lined up and I'll be able to see if mine acts up at all since we are running the same setup except for the valve body mods.

Hey Jeremy. I'm looking at a sort of similar build (I have a Jeep pickup to put my 4BD2TC into so I can haul 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer) I'm no fan of the Jatco trans so I need to adapt a 4x4 Aisan trans to it. Will peruse your writeup as I have time. My kids and brother aren't too far from you, but I'm south of the border myself.

Sorry guys for some reason I have not been getting e-mail notifications on this thread. I had the birth of our first baby followed by a long stay in the hospital. So needless to say the truck has not been driven or touched in the last few months.

Congrats on the new addition!

LOL That'll slow down the progress!

Top tip- when you are at the Chrysler dealer picking up your new Caravan in a few months, Don't cheap out like @Enigma - Get the power side doors- They rock!

Congrats!

LOL That'll slow down the progress!

Top tip- when you are at the Chrysler dealer picking up your new Caravan in a few months, Don't cheap out like @Enigma - Get the power side doors- They rock!

Congrats!
It's on the order sheet.

Replace the Chrysler badge with a Toyota though [emoji6]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom