The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whole beef tenderloin (the big end)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420146121.598344.jpg

Going on the fire in T minus 28 minutes ....

Ten minutes to carving. Cooked to 135F prior to resting

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420154245.792817.jpg

We had friends over, so I didn't get any pictures… But I made 10 lbs of Pork Butt and 30 ABT's. For Christmas, my wife bought me this deseeder that makes short work of the prep time for ABT's. http://www.southwestpeppergrillers.com/id17.html I genuinely hated cutting up and removing the seeds/veins… Now I don't really think about it.

So, I don't know if anyone else does this… But… For my ABT's, I've been dumping the seeds and veins in to a grinder and mincing them up. I mix them in with the cream cheese along with cheddar, smoked pork, sweet barbecue sauce, and seasoning. Then, of course, I put that mixture in to the hollowed out pepper and wrap it in bacon. I cook it at 275 - 300 for about an hour… The complaint that I only hear is that I don't make them often enough!

From Thursday. I was too busy with company over to get many pics but it was definitely a spread of apps and pork. Started with bacon wrapped dried apricots, goat cheese/dill stuffed fingerling potatoes and some other more basic junk.

Then there was the pork. 12.5 hours at 250*F cooked to 205* then rested in foil in a cooler for 1.5hrs. I screwed up and only had a couple chunks each of Hickory and Mesquite on hand, so it was a bit lacking in smokiness but still okay. Put it on hamburger buns and my teeth couldn't tell the difference between bun and meat. Never thought I'd say bbq was too tender! Didn't get the rub penetration I wanted (18 hours with rub in the fridge), but it was still highly thought of by our guests (from cattle country) who kept calling it a "roast".

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2960.jpg

Well it sure looks perfectly tasty JV! Very moist too!

It's been a while since I fired up the smoker so I picked up a 10lb prime brisket from Costco for 4.25/lb. Only had to take about a pound of trim.

image.jpg

Seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder.

image.jpg

I don't like the taste of burned drippings or big messes, so I pan the brisket on racks (need to get some taller racks and wifey gets mad when I dirty up the cookie racks). Don't flame me for trimming the cap too far.

image.jpg

And the trusty ghetto drum smoker with Maverick temperature monitoring. Running about 290° today. I gave up on trying to nail a smoker temperature, I let it do what it wants within a range. I don't insert the meat probe until later. After 3-4 hours I will wrap in food grade butcher paper, flip it, insert the temp probe, and start checking for tenderness around 195°.

When the thickest part of the flat is probe tender, it will come inside for at least an hour rest under a foil tent. Happy Super Bowl weekend or whatever it is you mudders are up to.

image.jpg

4 hours in, 160° and ready two wrap in paper. Looks like it's going to be a good one.

image.jpg

Last edited:
^ That looks SO good!
Butt

Thanks, I have really fine tuned my tenderloin smoking skills. Andrea loves it so, I get to cook it more and more.. Tenderloin is super cheap here ($1.99-2.39# on a regular basis) The 'shrooms were just awesome. I threw them in for 30 minutes after the first 30 minute turn. I will be adding this to the menu more often.

Then I thin slice some for sandwiches and the rest get put in a batch of green chili... Its a WIN.. WIN ... WIN....

J

Thanks, I have really fine tuned my tenderloin smoking skills. Andrea loves it so, I get to cook it more and more.. Tenderloin is super cheap here ($1.99-2.39# on a regular basis) The 'shrooms were just awesome. I threw them in for 30 minutes after the first 30 minute turn. I will be adding this to the menu more often.

Then I thin slice some for sandwiches and the rest get put in a batch of green chili... Its a WIN.. WIN ... WIN....

J

Nice work. I tried to smoke a thin tenderloin (or whatever cut it was) and failed miserably. The smoke wasn't right or it was too thin. I'll try again on a log sized cut. I'm not a huge pork tenderloin fan, but if it's cheap I'll cook it.

Nice work. I tried to smoke a thin tenderloin (or whatever cut it was) and failed miserably. The smoke wasn't right or it was too thin. I'll try again on a log sized cut. I'm not a huge pork tenderloin fan, but if it's cheap I'll cook it.

I just started a pot of green chili with some of the left over loin. It is still tender and juicy (cold) so that should tell you it is AWESOME!

HA!

7.75# brisket (closer to tip end) for my birthday weekend:

IMAG2773.jpg

IMAG2774.jpg

Heating up:

IMAG2775.jpg

Killing time:

IMAG2777.jpg

I think this was two hours in:

IMAG2780.jpg

Cooked to 203* internal temp. Oh yeah it was good.

IMAG2782.jpg

IMAG2783.jpg

IMAG2784.jpg

^ Nice work! I wonder where the rest of that brisket went?! When it stops raining, sleeting, icing... I need to have a BBQ and cigar day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom