I'm back with another big block, doubler, one ton build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got myself in gear a little bit and got a bit of tear down done last night:

8E4BDEEE-949B-49CC-A2B9-45777767B51A_zpsocbjrx4x.jpg

B0978A49-B72B-4C74-9C3E-315B7122284B_zpsl7kx0cdl.jpg

C09CBFC1-F8FD-4361-AD8F-C05E6A192E26_zpspxxsnov9.jpg

I couldn't help myself and was curious about what heads were on the big block... I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were 049s which are decent factory heads. I was scared that they would be the peanut port heads. On top of that... they were roller tip rockers too!

AC0826EA-115B-4521-B1A5-5546E7229598_zpscxnwphuz.jpg

60191DF5-519D-4DF8-A44F-43767EA6644C_zpsfwqytqrz.jpg

Looks like I'll have to do a bit of fabrication too (if I decide not to use this frame). This is how the PO set up the steering box:

2543D392-CDB3-485A-BA11-91C11F8E5ABF_zpsm24wifcb.jpg

79021C65-D69E-4BFF-A62A-4B0EAE137273_zpsxsik0wwh.jpg

Also snagged a few winches for the build too:

D28E0422-1842-4699-AA20-92B5DA9483DE_zpsaslknxlj.jpg

Your build gets epic quick! Glad to see some good progress. Are you keeping the good glass and component parts off the mangled?

Your build gets epic quick! Glad to see some good progress. Are you keeping the good glass and component parts off the mangled?

Yeah, I'm going to scavenge most of what I can... glass, brackets, etc. The second cruiser has most of what I need but I'll keep some stuff around that I or a fellow cruiser head may want. Sounds like Gary is going to grab the 60 axles when I'm ready to swap.

I discovered another obstacle in this build, power to that side of the barn is zero. I can either run long extension cords from the "working" side of the barn or run some wire (approx 150ft.) to that side of the barn and put some outlets in. Doing the extension cord bit will get annoying really quick not to mention losing some amps along the way too.

I imagine I'll need to run some pretty robust wire to do it properly. Anyone have some suggestions on how to tackle the electrical dilemma? My home wiring experience is ZERO.

You will loose amperage with any kind of wire run the farther away you get from the panel, either with romex or with extension cords.

You know the voltage (220v/240v or 110v/120v) so figure out what amperage draw you want and use a chart to figure out what size wire that equals. Solid core copper wires are preferred for house wiring.

If you install wiring, will it be only for this project or will you use it in the future as well? If only for this project, I'd go the extension cord route.

I thought you had that super long 220V extension from your last work area? I'm with Johnny, just get some good extension cords and run those unless your shop friend wants to go in with you.

lol, you guys convinced me. I'll just take the easy road and use long extensions (yes, I do still have that long 220v cord somewhere). I should wire up a couple dedicated outlets near the box though. I imagine it cant be that hard.

Wiring up a couple of dedicated 220v outlets is super easy IMHO. They've only got three wires! You just need to make sure you have the space in the panel for the breaker you're going to use. Make sure that the breaker, wire and outlet are all rated (preferably over-rated) for the amperage (load).

This guy is pretty funny and appears to be correct. Tons of reading out there on house wiring.

I can handle that. Just ran down to the electrical store down the street... sounds like about $2.00 a foot for the soow wire (10/3). Not too bad plus I'll have some awesome extension cords for other projects.

Just stumbled into the HardCore Corner again today, and saw your username. It's awesome that you're building another one. Your blue FJ60 in one of it's earlier stages was one of my absolute faves. Attachments aren't working cause I'm at work, but I think it's when you had 36's.

I actually thought about the build of that one the other day, looked it up and was sad it was never finished. You should contact him or tell him to get on Mud and post about it.

I'll be watching this build now though :)

Just stumbled into the HardCore Corner again today, and saw your username. It's awesome that you're building another one. Your blue FJ60 in one of it's earlier stages was one of my absolute faves. Attachments aren't working cause I'm at work, but I think it's when you had 36's.

I actually thought about the build of that one the other day, looked it up and was sad it was never finished. You should contact him or tell him to get on Mud and post about it.

I'll be watching this build now though :)

Cool, thanks for stopping in. I kinda mentioned before but the blue cruiser build snow balled into something that got to be too much and I ended up not putting the effort I intended to especially near the end (like the electrical). I was so eager to get the thing to move under its own power that some of the aspects of the build suffered. I truly hope that the next owner straightened those details out.

I really want to focus on keeping this build reasonably simple like the blue cruiser was in the beginning and build it over time with periods of ACTUAL DRIVING in between "upgrades". I don't want this to become a "chore" like the blue cruiser ended up being.

It's not a cruiser steering box and other rigs have inside steering boxes like FJ40 powersteering retrofits and other vehicle brands. Maybe he thought on those lines when he put on the box. Is the pitman arm front or rear facing?

Wonder why the PO would run the PS box inside frame ..

Looks like a Saginaw PS box to me. All of the Saginaw PS box installs I've seen have been inside the frame with the pitman arms facing the rear. Not an uncommon mod on a 40 when adding power steering, but you typically don't see it on a 60.

Nothing crazy or really abnormal about it :D

Looks like a Saginaw PS box to me. All of the Saginaw PS box installs I've seen have been inside the frame with the pitman arms facing the rear. Not an uncommon mod on a 40 when adding power steering, but you typically don't see it on a 60.

Nothing crazy or really abnormal about it :D

Which kinda begs the question why the PO decided to use this box and not stick with the fj60 box.

That, I don't know. Maybe they thought the saginaw was stronger? Maybe the FJ60 box was leaking and they wanted a cheap(er) replacement?

No clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom