Ways to recycle water in drought conditions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check your local wastewater treatment plant if they distribute recycled water for irrigation purposes. It's high in nitrogen and will make just about everything grow. There are a couple plants in the Bay Area (CA) that give it away for free, you just have to haul it.

Refineries use 5+ million gallons of raw drinking water each day that could be used for drinking purposes. There are five refineries in the Bay Area. WW treatment plants could easily provide the water needed to meet the needs of the refineries and other industries for that matter. There are a number of WW treatment plants in the Bay Area that treat over 35 million gallons of water a day and pump it to the SF Bay. Unfortunately the drinking water treatment plants have franchise rights to the water these refineries and industries use and are not willing to give up the revenue, even if it makes environmental and social sense.

Yeah...Enjoy it while it lasts...read up on the aquifer below the Midwest. ..by 2050 it's gone...All the farmers around here are tiling their fields, guess where all the herbicides are going when they tile-yep...into out streams and rivers...One major river now is no longer being used for water use because of high nitrates..but our farming community says it's not from the run off.....I wonder what they will say in 35 years. ....
enjoy while it lasts...

regardless of cheap water, you still need some kind of emergency reserves during the bad times.

This is going to sound real stupid but, check your local area to see if collection of rain water is legal. In certain parts of the country (USA) there is a mathmatical calculation on how much, if any, rain water you can collect. It depends on the size of the property and the footprint of the structures under roof, etc.
Are you serious????,, this is a joke, right?

in the US, many local governments view rain water as a municipal resource and to catch it in a barrel from your gutter is considered diverting government property...
Saw the post by D'Animal about this same thing--I can't believe it!!(We'll be taxed on the air we breath soon)
They need to remember; "it's not nice to screw with Mother Nature"---Her minions will rise up when others stood still.

Many people around here have catch barrels, not sure what they are talking about above as far as it being a municipal??? I'm in central US, alot of big name stores are selling catch barrels just for that reason, to store rainwater caught from your house/rain gutters. .

check your local laws; you'll be annoyingly surprised...

just cause wally world sells rain catchment barrels doesn't mean you're allowed to use them. some of you are not breaking the laws because some places are still not being as well cared for by th USgov as others...but I'll bet those people don't get free access to starbucks...

Well, since I work for the government, currently there are now laws in place bud...Now, I can possibly see that in the future, there may be restrictions for example you may not catch more than 25,000 gallons per a 24 hour period, I personally don't see anybody consuming 25,000 gallons but none the less..

we are having our fifth rain event this season. the mountains on my north and east have as much snow on them now as they did in july 4 years ago. We have had 2 snow events that couldn't get more than an inch or 2 on the ground for a few HOURS. my pond dried up for the first time ever this last year, according to my neighbors. it got 2 feet from these rains, but it'll be dry this year by may I'd bet. I am no longer burning hazard wood for maintenance or for fun- it is too dry. I am at 4200 feet in the Sierra Nevada of California and praying for no lightening, not bad mufflers or tire blow outs on the road above my ridge. this place is a matchbox and it's a matter of time before it gets struck...nasa's talking about hundred year droughts...we'd better be learning to drink sand...

Well, since I work for the government, currently there are now laws in place bud...Now, I can possibly see that in the future, there may be restrictions for example you may not catch more than 25,000 gallons per a 24 hour period, I personally don't see anybody consuming 25,000 gallons but none the less..
yeah, but do you have a starbucks?

we are having our fifth rain event this season. the mountains on my north and east have as much snow on them now as they did in july 4 years ago. We have had 2 snow events that couldn't get more than an inch or 2 on the ground for a few HOURS. my pond dried up for the first time ever this last year, according to my neighbors. it got 2 feet from these rains, but it'll be dry this year by may I'd bet. I am no longer burning hazard wood for maintenance or for fun- it is too dry. I am at 4200 feet in the Sierra Nevada of California and praying for no lightening, not bad mufflers or tire blow outs on the road above my ridge. this place is a matchbox and it's a matter of time before it gets struck...nasa's talking about hundred year droughts...we'd better be learning to drink sand...
Absolutely, I was out there a few years ago on a wildfire detail in the Plumas National Park and yes you guys are extremely dry... I feel for you guys, the reservoirs were near all but gone...I wished more people were concerned about water shortage today because tomorrow is rapidly approaching that it could be a scarce commodity. .stay well....

Don't care how many gallons there are -- it's rain, dud, the Lord provides it and the gov't can't regulate it-no matter how pompous they get.

yeah, but you're assuming that you also own the land under your land;). (I'm not even going to go into how bat guano insane owning Gods ground is...)

anyway, we'd all better take a tip from bare grilles. learn to drink p from an inside out snake...naisa says California has a year of water left....

Are you serious????,, this is a joke, right?

FYI: Its Illegal to colect rainwater from your residential roof in Colorado...downstream (Nebraska) has rights to that water. Weird but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom