Harbor Freight Winches (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm out of town or I'd look. But I remember the owners manual covering the three larger winches and giving some spec differences. Worth a look, but I think the 12k was a similar motor with more winding. In size at the store it looks similar and I measured the width as the same once before buying mine.

I'm out of town or I'd look. But I remember the owners manual covering the three larger winches and giving some spec differences. Worth a look, but I think the 12k was a similar motor with more winding. In size at the store it looks similar and I measured the width as the same once before buying mine.
Identical physical dimensions. 9k has a 5.5 HP motor, 12k has a 6 HP. Gear ratio: 9k=218:1; 12k=265:1. Line speed and amp draw specs lead me to believe 12k motor and setup to be quite superior (obviously :rolleyes: ):

Winch/load --------------------line speed:------amp draw:
9k/4000lb line pull ------------- 9.4 fpm-----------194
12k/4000lb line pull ------------ 9.9 fpm-----------159
9k/8000lb line pull --------------6.5 fpm ----------280
12k/8000lb line pull -------------7.6 fpm-----------242

All above info from "Installation and Operating Instructions" that covers Badland 6k, 9k & 12k winches.
12k faster and draws less current on identical loads. I'd say a different and superior motor. More powerful gear ratio, but still faster line speed shows it's not just the gears.

Harbor Freight has raised the price on the 12K winch to $599 with the new standard sale price being $399. I have a flyer for a March 6, 7 & 8 parking lot sale with a price of $292.44 which is probably the best price to be found and won't come up as often.

I went to get one with a coupon for $299 - only has a 30 day warranty. By the time you buy the added protection plan you're at the cost of a 10k Engo with a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service rating. I've read all the info about the torture tests HF has supposedly done but that 30 day warranty makes me think they don't have much faith in their own product...

Mine is old and out of the original $50 two year warranty. If it dies and is irreparable then I'll just get a name brand one instead. The increase in warranty is the killer for purchasing on of these winches now. It's no longer a 'deal'.

I went to get one with a coupon for $299 - only has a 30 day warranty. By the time you buy the added protection plan you're at the cost of a 10k Engo with a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service rating. I've read all the info about the torture tests HF has supposedly done but that 30 day warranty makes me think they don't have much faith in their own product...

I believe mine came with a 90 day warranty when I bought it. I didn't go the extended because my vehicle rarely gets used and since I wheel alone I try to avoid trouble. Other then testing it's never been used. But is does look better than a empty hole in my ARB bull bar.:rolleyes:

As for supposedly torture tests it this site's founder who tested one of these with his 80 series in Wisconsin that convinced me. Read thru this whole thread if you interested in his opinion.:meh:

As for supposedly torture tests it this site's founder who tested one of these with his 80 series in Wisconsin that convinced me. Read thru this whole thread if you interested in his opinion.:meh:

That's what originally sold me, it was a pretty ringing endorsement, just made me uncomfortable that they didn't back the product more.

I know it's not a HF, but I thought I'd share a quick thought on my recent purchase. I have a HF winch on a hitch mount. I used it both for offroad use and as a lift for my home built snowplow for about 4 years. Worked excellent. Never had any failures other than the occasional failure of the solenoid to engage. Usually a few "clicks" and it was off and running again. IMO it is a great winch. I still have it.

When I went to put a permanent hidden winch on my new 4runner I bough a superwinch with synthetic rope. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2015-t4r-tep-hidden-winch-mount-build.839235/ . I went this route because I wanted synthetic rope and the superwich is designed with a few changes to handle the synthetic rope. The drum is different and the brake is moved outside the drum so ti won't overheat the inner coils of the synthetic rope. The quality of the superwinch is pretty darn good - and although new I think it's probably every bit as reliable if not more so than the harbor freight winch.

The two big benefits for me were - obviously synthetic rope with a nice aluminum hawse fairlead, waterproof motor and waterproof albright type solenoid. And the cross bars are stainless. The cost from Amazon shipped was $400. I now see it for a bit more. Might have to wait for a sale? Anyway I added this here because it might be worth considering as an alternative to the HF winch if you want synthetic rope. For the cost you cannot get a HF and a decent synthetic rope.

I'll try to get out and use the superwinch some to get a better evaluation. So far it seems to do a good job of hiding behind the bumper. Otherwise it hasn't had much use.

dont like china stuff but bought a skid of 24 hf 10,000 lbs winches for 120.00 .figured plenty of spare parts and after heavy use they still work .only problem was they all had bad relays and electrical connnections .probably returns ,now all my trucks have front and rear winches even my acura .

dont like china stuff but bought a skid of 24 hf 10,000 lbs winches for 120.00 .figured plenty of spare parts and after heavy use they still work .only problem was they all had bad relays and electrical connnections .probably returns ,now all my trucks have front and rear winches even my acura .

Where are you finding skids full of winches ? I live in KS so I won't be stealing your local deals, but maybe you can point me in the direction of a good deal.

it is a place called cil auctions they sell retuned tools from hf and sears they were based in new york state .do to old age i cant remember the name probaly come to me about 3 in the morning .chataqua ny ?they had one a month and had tons of tools and stuff that neede simple repairs .got my brake ,sand blaster and many power tools from there

Here are a couple more pictures of the tensioner. I'm looking at mounting this on a Receiver Hitch mount to swap between my rigs. My problem is that the square tubing isn't long enough to clear the tensioner and clutch switch on the 60's front bumper. Hmm...
20150317_111958.jpg
20150317_112055.jpg

20150317_112007.jpg

One more pic with tensioner...
20150317_112007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom