Flat Top Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is another local company they make cool racks for a bunch of things.
http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/

Here are some pics of an 80 series rack they are building.
View attachment 1040278 View attachment 1040279

He's working on a 60 series idea too!

I have been designing a very similar design for my 60, just amazed to see such a shining example of what has been
in my mind for the past couple of years. What is the gauge or thickness of the alum sides I wonder?? Also curious as
to how he plans his gutter clamps.
If you get further info please post!! J

Its all very modular. You can use 2x2 cross bars for strength or 1x2 or 1x1. the gutter mounts are simple. and will be easy bolt on design. the will be flush with the runner and use a nut to tighten them down. The weight distribution will be much better too as it will space the entire gutter. I'm excited to see these come together.

I started this way:
starter 281.JPG

Then went and did this to it:
Alaska part 3 (21).JPG

Chopped the rear off and built the cage in front.

I feel like the rail contains stuff better than a flat platform.

Same rack different truck

I have been designing a very similar design for my 60, just amazed to see such a shining example of what has been
in my mind for the past couple of years. What is the gauge or thickness of the alum sides I wonder?? Also curious as
to how he plans his gutter clamps.
If you get further info please post!! J

Those pics of the PrInSu rack for the 80 series is my truck and my rack. Mine is the prototype for the 80 series and I just found out yesterday that it should be complete and I will have it on the truck on Friday hopefully. I'll be sure to post lots of photos. The side rails are 1/4" aluminum. Very strong and very light. One caveat with this rack is that you'd be required to remove the factory roof rack for it to work. We designed it to be as low-profile as possible so it's about as tight to the roof as we could make it without worrying about deflection and contacting the roof. As for deflection, there really is almost none even with a substantial amount of weight on the rack.

The gutter clamps are laser cut pieces and there are 4 per side. The rack is fully modular. The crossbars are all bolted in and can be moved for a variety of configurations. The gutter clamps are also bolt on and attach to the side rails. There is an aluminum wind deflector on the front also that sits just forward of the sunroof but far enough back to have very little wind noise.

Personally I think this is hands down the best rack option for the 80 series and when you consider the cost there is no question it is the best value as well. I can't speak for Zach (the builder) and he hasn't announced final pricing yet but I would expect it to be in the ballpark of what you see on his FJ Cruiser racks $575 as a ballpark.

Those pics of the PrInSu rack for the 80 series is my truck and my rack. Mine is the prototype for the 80 series and I just found out yesterday that it should be complete and I will have it on the truck on Friday hopefully. I'll be sure to post lots of photos. The side rails are 1/4" aluminum. Very strong and very light. One caveat with this rack is that you'd be required to remove the factory roof rack for it to work. We designed it to be as low-profile as possible so it's about as tight to the roof as we could make it without worrying about deflection and contacting the roof. As for deflection, there really is almost none even with a substantial amount of weight on the rack.

The gutter clamps are laser cut pieces and there are 4 per side. The rack is fully modular. The crossbars are all bolted in and can be moved for a variety of configurations. The gutter clamps are also bolt on and attach to the side rails. There is an aluminum wind deflector on the front also that sits just forward of the sunroof but far enough back to have very little wind noise.

Personally I think this is hands down the best rack option for the 80 series and when you consider the cost there is no question it is the best value as well. I can't speak for Zach (the builder) and he hasn't announced final pricing yet but I would expect it to be in the ballpark of what you see on his FJ Cruiser racks $575 as a ballpark.

Well, that is very impressive. I'd emailed the builder in regards to building one for a 60 series. I look forward to all the pics.
I'm very curious as to how the gutter clamps are being designed. I removed my factory rack when I painted it. Lower, the better! J

Check out Gamiviti racks ( @nakman here on mud), you can have it all flat, small or large basket, half n half. I have one and love it!

I'm stoked beyond words and how well my new PrInSu Designs roofrack turned out for the Land Cruiser. Mine was the first one Zach Scott has built for an 80 series so there was a bit of iteration along the way but man it is exactly like I had hoped. Love it. Now it's time to throw the Tepui Tent up there. This is a major photo dump since this is a rack for Cruisers that hasn't been on the market 'til now, and I'm sure there will be questions. So I'll post as many photos as possible to show details that will hopefully address most of the questions. Check out http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/ I don't know what final pricing will be but expect Zach to post it to his website before too long.

So what is the measured distance from the center of the cross bars to the roof for the middle crossbars. I like how
the last crossbar is practically on the roof. I'm also curious as to the reasoning for the front spoiler to have the
front corners cut up, instead of following the roofline all the way to the end? s
Sure looks nice!

So what is the measured distance from the center of the cross bars to the roof for the middle crossbars. I like how
the last crossbar is practically on the roof. I'm also curious as to the reasoning for the front spoiler to have the
front corners cut up, instead of following the roofline all the way to the end? s
Sure looks nice!
I don't have a measurement for you but my rack is roughly 1" above the roof. The production version will be about .75" taller to clear the roof ribs that are part of the factory roof rack.

The rear cross bar can be vertical like I have it or laid flat for more clearance like the rest of the crossbars.

as for the design of the wind deflector, I don't have an answer for you but just speculate that it makes it easier to produce and not have any issues with it contacting the roof.

I like the way that looks just the way it is. How far along is he with the 60 series now? Any update?

I've been planning a flat top rack with a small basket across the back, so I could reach it from my tailgate. Is there any reason not to put the basket in the back. I only see them in the front. I'll have RTT similar to the Autohome. This will go on my 55.

Thanks Guys,

It just has to do with overall weight distribution. Usually there is a heavy rear bumper/spare tire/3 fuel cans so
trying to balance weight. My research has shown that some guys like the fuel cans on the roof, and put them over each support
leg. What ever works for you I would think.

I'm stoked beyond words and how well my new PrInSu Designs roofrack turned out for the Land Cruiser. Mine was the first one Zach Scott has built for an 80 series so there was a bit of iteration along the way but man it is exactly like I had hoped. Love it. Now it's time to throw the Tepui Tent up there. This is a major photo dump since this is a rack for Cruisers that hasn't been on the market 'til now, and I'm sure there will be questions. So I'll post as many photos as possible to show details that will hopefully address most of the questions. Check out http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/ I don't know what final pricing will be but expect Zach to post it to his website before too long.

That is one slick roof rack. Are you still happy so far? A couple specific questions, if you don't mind.

Does it seem a strong as the usual steel racks every one else makes?

About the screws that screw through the side rail into the cross beams. Are there threads just tapped into the aluminum cross beans, or is there some kind of captive nut?

It looks like there are 8 2"X11" cross beams mounted so the 2" is horizontal, one at the rear mounted so the 2" is vertical. Then there is a cross beam that the defector is mounted to. Unlike the rest, the front cross beam looks to be attached to either side by one screw instead of two. Does the front cross beam stay in place, or does speed and body flex make it (and the deflector) shift at all?

I'm seriously thinking of getting one in about August, when the budget allows.

Thanks.

For light duty, I've been running a yakima load warrior with two extensions on top of three yakima bars. It is long enough to toss a bunch of skis into the basket (local haul without strapping down). Width wise there is enough bar outside the basket for bike, boat or lumber attachment. I have seen front runner product and aspire to a similar flat rack - and ability for an adult to stand up there....
20150412-REM_1817-S.jpg

I met a lady with a Delica a couple weeks ago and she had a flat roof rack but, the sides folded up and were held together with pins. So when the RTT was on it was completely flat, when she needed the basket it took all of 5 minutes to set up.

That sounds awesome. I cant really see the sides folded down though. Wouldn't they hit the truck? Unless the rack was wider than the roof.

Hmmmm... Maybe like hospital bedrails, they slide straight up and down with no hinging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom