TLCA Official 27th Rubithon Thread, June 23-28th, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have decided to go and it will be my first time participating so it will be most likely the Wagon Run.

My 80 has OME medium lift (rear airbags), 35" recently bought, Arb front w/winch, sliders, my uncle is making me a rear bumper/swingout as of this writing, ARB rear locker ONLY (hoping to get front before June). She is mechanically sound, no leaks, 184k, and will do more rigid PM's as June gets nearer.

My question to the most experienced ones is, will my 2-2.5" lift suffice or do I have to get 4". I know there will be rubbing and flares will be torn and body damage, I have prepared my soul for that, or will probably remove the flares before hand.
Has anyone made it up there with the same lift? I really don't want to spend more $$$ on suspension if this will suffice.

Any tips/advice will be great... So fire away...

Thanks in advance.

-John

You will be fine. I'm no expert (last year was my first time running the rubicon) but there were plenty of 80's with 2-3'' of lift and 35s. I even saw one or two with 33's and no body damage. The size of your lift really doesn't matter, its the clearance from running bigger tires that will help you out. I did deflare in preparation, which helped a bit with tire rubbing in the rear but again not absolutely necessary. Good set of sliders (and rear bumper) is a must though on an 80. Both will see plenty of use. Front locker will make things easier too and skid plate might not be a bad idea either. There was only one other 80 in my group (he had run the rubicon a few times) so following him really helped but that will be a non-issue on the wagon run. I think I'm going to do that one too so see you there! You will have an absolute blast!

Also....I wouldn't worry about bringing a trailer as your truck shouldn't have any problems making it. That's why 80s are so awesome, you can drive to and from the trail in relative comfort.

Last edited:
You will be fine. I'm no expert (last year was my first time running the rubicon) but there were plenty of 80's with 2-3'' of lift and 35s. I even saw one or two with 33's and no body damage. The size of your lift really doesn't matter, its the clearance from running bigger tires that will help you out. I did deflare in preparation, which helped a bit with tire rubbing in the rear but again not absolutely necessary. Good set of sliders (and rear bumper) is a must though on an 80. Both will see plenty of use. Front locker will make things easier too and skid plate might not be a bad idea either. There was only one other 80 in my group (he had run the rubicon a few times) so following him really helped but that will be a non-issue on the wagon run. I think I'm going to do that one too so see you there! You will have an absolute blast!

Also....I wouldn't worry about bringing a trailer as your truck shouldn't have any problems making it. That's why 80s are so awesome, you can drive to and from the trail in relative comfort.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't really want to do more lift and save the $$ for something else. It's good to hear that an 80 with the same set up as mine made it. I only have rear locker for now and hopefully get a front before June.

The trailer idea was just an insurance policy. I do have faith in my rig. But I need to be well prepared.

Thanks again...

-John

Last edited:
Any FJ Cruisers going? With no metal tech run this year, what would be the best group to join?

SARMARK... I'm in... I took the 22nd through 28th off.. The Mrs. will be coming along. Hopefully she will pack a sports bra. :bounce:

I am looking forward to this year very much. I hope your Son is bringing the truck and I can't wait to see all the work you have done to your 4runner. I read Pilotuku's post and he should be fine with his 80. I have done the Rubicon and many other trails with mine and they are a beast! I believe good armor is a must. Mark's Metaltech sliders are great!

I am looking forward to this year very much. I hope your Son is bringing the truck and I can't wait to see all the work you have done to your 4runner. I read Pilotuku's post and he should be fine with his 80. I have done the Rubicon and many other trails with mine and they are a beast! I believe good armor is a must. Mark's Metaltech sliders are great!

What lift are you running on your 80?

I'm in. Sarmark aka Dad, and Amosmoses I am looking forward to another great trip and another great time with family and friends. Hopefully we can all make it another year full of memories and good times this is the trip I look forward to every year. I have put in for the time off and am trying to convince someone else to go with this year.

DJ81 That's great! Billy is going to sit this one out, Varsity football is a big priority to him and I am proud of him for sticking to his goals. There will be other times. Im considering an Alaska trip summer of 17 :) Would love to have yall go with us.

I have put in for the time off at work and I will have my orion rebuilt by then. In the mean time, just getting the 40 ready. Hope to also make it to the TOTR cruiser show this year as well. My family had a good time last year and saw a lot of great rigs.

Any FJ Cruisers going? With no metal tech run this year, what would be the best group to join?

I'm sure there will be a few, but not yet. I'd recommend the Wagon Run. Just remember the lines will not be the same and make sure to have all the parts you may need. I'd call Mark and see what he recommends bringing parts wise. He was going to post up in FJC forums what was need for on the 25th, but I don't know which ones they were.

I'm not aware of any yet, I won't be taking mine this year.

As Eric said, get on the Wagon run, as they do a very good job with people unfamiliar with the trail. My advice is to take it slow, listen to your spotters, step out if you're stuck, and don't do it in the dark.

Whatever you do, don't do the Double Locker run in an FJ Cruiser

Body_damage.jpg
:doh::bang:

Running a little late getting this out, but want to congratulate the January and February winners of an extra grand prize ticket.

January goes to Andy Hagin again this year, pays to get your stuff in early. That’s 2 years in a row!

February goes to Peter Sadtler who will be joining up all the way from Germany

Congrats guys and to all the others, get those registrations in for your chance to win!

Eric

I would like to take a trailer though the trail with my FJ Cruiser. Would the Rubition event be a good week to make this run and attend. I would need a little extra time but the help spotting would be a great help. I do not want to burden the group and believe that I would not be that much trouble. Is the wagon run the least demanding and would I be welcome?

I would like to take a trailer though the trail with my FJ Cruiser. Would the Rubition event be a good week to make this run and attend. I would need a little extra time but the help spotting would be a great help. I do not want to burden the group and believe that I would not be that much trouble. Is the wagon run the least demanding and would I be welcome?

Do not do this.

As the past leader of the wagon run (not this year because of scheduling problems) I think your plan is not sound. Here's why-

You are not familiar with the trail (assuming this from your question, no offence intended)
FJ Cruisers work considerably harder getting through the trail due to clearance problems and limited front axle flex-ie damage very likely
The Wagon run tends be be a very big run, and so a slow rig, unfamiliar with the terrain and hazards, handicapped by a trailer, is just going to bog down the run and ruin everyone's fun
You are much more likely to break something critical towing the trailer-and no one will be able to help fix or have parts
There has never been an FJCruiser on the Wagon run - not excluded, just didn't happen
There is no least demanding or more demanding, it's 1 trail
Damage to your FJCruiser and trailer is a near certainty. Please see Ross Wooody's pics above. His FJC got hammered last year and he is a good and experienced driver, and he didn't have a trailer.

My advice - Do the trail without a trailer first, before you attempt it with a trailer.

Thanks for your input, a large run would not be were I would want to be. Running the trail without the trailer does make a lot more sense. The FJC is on 35's and has a Marlin Lefty, winch, etc. Without the trailer what run could you recommend?

Thanks for your input, a large run would not be were I would want to be. Running the trail without the trailer does make a lot more sense. The FJC is on 35's and has a Marlin Lefty, winch, etc. Without the trailer what run could you recommend?

The ideal situation would be to go with a couple of other FJCruisers who have done the trail before. Talking to Robbie Antonson of the trail teams, the FJCruisers take different lines than everyone else, so going with a familiar person would help. There was some talk of resuming and FJ Cruiser run. I would like to see that happen and get more of you guys on the Rubicon. Last year I think I saw only 3. It's a great trail and a great time. Your set up should make it very doable.

i'm in too :) again....rubicon virus is strong....
happy to meet again my friends and other dudes like , Alvaro, andy (dis moi oui...andy.....french song..can't understand), robie, onur, peter, etc....etc.... ;)

;)

Awesome Dunkane. Is Peter from Germany coming as well?

I am trying to go in on Sunday, but need to see how the schedule comes together. I thought I might have to miss this year entirely, but I called in some favors and can now attend.

See you there.

My 40 is going to be in use that weekend! And it doesn't speak French either. And it has a super sweet running low mile motor in it!

And Beno-trying to stir up trouble here is bad form!:flipoff2:

I can't wait to hang with the Euros again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom