Buy lift "kit" or springs and shocks separately (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking at lifts and have read different feedback regarding OME shocks and ironman shocks etc and quality compared to other brands. Some like the shocks that came with the kit others prefer buying different maker like bilsteins.
I'm also wondering if there's money to be saved buying just springs and bushing kit and getting alternative shocks or is it cheaper by the "kit". Anyone done this? Any savings to be had? Is ride quality better with aftermarket or kit shocks? Any input would help. Thanks.

I have yet to put suspension on my FJ but with other my other trucks it has always been less expensive to put on a kit. Is everything in the kit exactly what you want? No. Do you get the truck back on the road with less aggravation? Yes.

Thing of it like buying a house or building a new house. Either way you are going to spend money and time getting like you (or your wife) want it.
Cobbling together a suspension system from new or used parts can yield good results. Like most things it comes down to your understanding of the product and your effort to track items down.

Let us know what you decide!

Bill D.

You almost always come out ahead with a kit. Plus most kits match shocks with springs. My favorite lift I've ever done was the full medium/heavy ome with all the grease blessing shackles and pins. The shocks and steering stabilizer as well. It was expensive but it was worth it. Best ride and drive plus awesome performance offroad.

That being said I've also pieces together a bunch of lifts with decent success. The shocks I could see going another brand But then it is up to you to know size and valving.

Also I have re used u bolts and that's not the best idea. That's something I'd replace if you can.
20140329_110425.jpg

As always call kurt. www.cruiseroutfitters.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom