Claims a troopy side door that is factory?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a couple of Aussie panel shops that sub-contract to Toyota to offer these conversions on new troopies, but it's technically not "factory", the work is done locally in Oz. I've heard in some cases these are fully warranted by Toyota, though.

There are a couple of Aussie panel shops that sub-contract to Toyota to offer these conversions on new troopies, but it's technically not "factory", the work is done locally in Oz. I've heard in some cases these are fully warranted by Toyota, though.

They also sold some from the dealer with extra length cabs but TL Engineering did the conversion and they also did most of the 3rd door troopys in WA.

Ive always liked and wanted one of these 3 dr PC .
Price seems a little low considering its an RV with an extra door.
Pity the window looks fixed:confused:

17011220.jpg

what would worry me is that it only seems the mines get those modes done over here in nsw to use a man hauls. So may of started life in a mine?

Price seems a little low considering its an RV with an extra door.

Even though its a RV its still only a 75series rv only comes with forward facing back seat and some cloth trim on the doors and seat and chrome around the roof .If it was a 78 series RV they come packed with electrics chrome grill etc consol and turbo diesel
But as for a side door that should be were the money is as more grunt says only mines seem to order them if someone is going to lash out on huge dollars for a side door im sure they would prefer a 80 series or 105

Even though its a RV its still only a 75series rv only comes with forward facing back seat and some cloth trim on the doors and seat and chrome around the roof .If it was a 78 series RV they come packed with electrics chrome grill etc consol and turbo diesel
But as for a side door that should be were the money is as more grunt says only mines seem to order them if someone is going to lash out on huge dollars for a side door im sure they would prefer a 80 series or 105

I havent seen to many good 97 75 series troopys under $18k and the 3rd door is worth another $2-3k in my books.
I think its a $8-10k conversion.

The term "mines" is a broad meaning. Not too many troopies in the mines that Im aware of except as ambulances.
If they need a rear seat ,they normally use a dual cab or have those seats in the rear of a cab chassis with ROPS and FOPS

Judging by the factory mags and big sticker down the side ,it looks like it may have been a private. Of course they could have been added after.
It could also have been a outbck council or govt vehicle. They had OHS rules requiring personel to sit facing forward before many other workplaces.

Any idea where it is Clint?

Sounds like what my Ford Econoline van is . It was bought new through the Ford dealer with 4WD . Its a line item option at the dealer but the van is shipped from Ford to Quigley Motors in Pennsylvania where the 4X4 is added using as many Ford parts as possible.
Its warrantied through Ford . I had a issue with it (death wobble) at about 10k miles and Quigley would have sent the parts ( new control arms for more caster,steering dampener and what ever parts needed, free of charge) to whatever Ford dealership I would take it to or a independent shop of my liking .
Since I was out in PA at the time They said they would do it while I waited at their place as they like to see how everything is doing with units they had built after some time and real world testing.
I have never been to a place of that size run so efficiently but still like a mom and pop type of attitude with the everyone who works there (many 20+ years workers)

They are what you would think a company back in the 40s and 50s would have been like with the pride going on there .
As for this post its really gone "offroad" sorry ;)

Any idea where it is Clint?

Not to sure some area in perth thats fairly older judging by the houses in the back ground
i just noticed two thing the seat belt in the very back and the sticker on the back step lol

All Terrain Brokers on Guildford Rd like selling these types.
The troopys normally have lap belts down the back:confused: Im wondering if it was a tour bus and had 2 buckets down the back originaly

Sounds like what my Ford Econoline van is . It was bought new through the Ford dealer with 4WD . Its a line item option at the dealer but the van is shipped from Ford to Quigley Motors in Pennsylvania where the 4X4 is added using as many Ford parts as possible.
Its warrantied through Ford . I had a issue with it (death wobble) at about 10k miles and Quigley would have sent the parts ( new control arms for more caster,steering dampener and what ever parts needed, free of charge) to whatever Ford dealership I would take it to or a independent shop of my liking .
Since I was out in PA at the time They said they would do it while I waited at their place as they like to see how everything is doing with units they had built after some time and real world testing.
I have never been to a place of that size run so efficiently but still like a mom and pop type of attitude with the everyone who works there (many 20+ years workers)

They are what you would think a company back in the 40s and 50s would have been like with the pride going on there .
As for this post its really gone "offroad" sorry ;)

Ford actually did this with there entire heavy truck line up until it was sold to daimler chrysler and then they drove the sterling brand up and under!

They would assemble ford tractors on the line all the same, other than cab color... after the fact is when the mods were done, weather it be suspension, oil lubers or upgraded fuel tanks or whatever... It's an old school way of doing things, but it works if you have a good team...

I worked at Sterling (which was the new ford truck owned by daimler) which built all the trucks custom as they went down the line... and lets just say parts were almost always an issue when everyone wants something different on every truck!

just had to reply sorry about the hi jack

This one is on a boat heading my way. The third door is great with loading family.
troopy.JPG

I have seen the small cargo door being used as a half door before. Instead of installing it on the DS, like on the picture lowenbrau posted, it was installed on the PS, where it literally worked as a half door, right next to the PS door. It looked factory, worked flawlessly and I have never seen one similar to it. This was in Venezuela, by the way!

Found this one for sale on Gumtree and thought I'd post it here for reference. I've never seen a rear door used on the side of a troopy before.

Neither have I and it looks terrible

Any reason why they just did them as a third door on the passenger side and not just do four doors? Seat configuration maybe?!

cost wise maybe and for your pass side or their pass side .?

In Bosnia those suicide doors were on the right side of the truck. Not sure where they came from, I assumed they came from Gibraltar.

Polan's Truck Refinishers in AUS is one of several companies that do this conversion.

http://www.polanstruckrefinishers.com.au/troopies-exposed.html

The door is constructed out of fiberglass with the following:
5mm plate to mount hinges on
3mm plate to mount catch on
Internal door frame - work fully welded with side intrusion bar in place
New door opening/aperture is made out of 3mm laser cut panels and fully welded in place.
All internal panels are zinc primed and, after job is completed, sprayed with internal body wax coating.
The door hardware is from the front left hand door (which is second hand).
The original sliding window is used and the frame cut down to suit the door.
Repainted in two pack acrylic enamel, inside and out.
The third door conversion takes three weeks to complete.
All work fully guaranteed for 12 months on workmanship and materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom