Monstaliner Bedliner (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few questions... what color is that?

Then, what is that set of coolers next to your sideways horns? Need more pics of what you are doing there.

@2fpower The coolers are for the intercooler, behind them is yet another cooler (aux tranny).

The project is really just to paint. Everything got out of hand trying to access all the metal. The snorkel was a pig to remove: needed to remove the 1/4 panel, the cowl and the hood. Bumper had to come off to get to the lower corners of the panel.

The colour is Pyroclastic. I havent seen many trucks with the colour (aside from Jeeps). I'll be sure to put up some better pictures when its done.

Looks pretty good @lettereleven .... How are you liking the texture it is coming out with? Looks like you are going for a bit more aggressive texture, and is that the Pyroclastic or the Medium Grey Quartz?

EDIT: Nevermind for some reason the last two posts weren't showing for me. Take some good outdoor pics when you are done so we can see because as you said not many guys have gone with the Pyroclastic. Is it coming out lighter or darker than you expected? I am still debating on whether I want to go with a grey color (like BeBe is currently painted) or get the pigment for the 8B4 midnight and try to bring her back to her original color.

Finally done! A long evening with a headlamp. I am so envious of people with access to garages.

Very happy with the result - the colour (pyroclastic) is a bit more blue-grey than I thought, but I am totally ok. It actually blends with the OEM paint better. Things like the door handles, and mirror bits dont look as goofy as they might have. Looks like I need to paint my bumper now. It looks terrible against fresh paint.

In terms of texture, I didnt do any "backrolling" after the second coat. I just used lots of paint on the roller and let the roller texture do the work.

Within 15 minutes of hitting the road, I was stopped by a random guy in a civic complementing the pain and asking questions. Pretty much made my day.

I'd highly recommend Monstaliner to anyone!
Pyroclastic-front.jpg

2015-02-19 08.47.09.jpeg

2015-02-19 08.46.42.jpeg

2015-02-19 08.46.54.jpeg

Yeah texture is just about what I am looking for... What was the OE color of your 80? Looking at the FJ60 Midnight Metallic Blue (8B4) it is more purply than blueish.... But for grey colors for me it was a toss up between the Medium Quartz and the Pyroclastic.

@magnetman you've got one hell of a product.

Got the inside all done this weekend in Medium Quartz Gray. This was a very fun, but very messy project! All done on the street in front of my house, which is a great way to meet the neighbors, btw. Probably had about 6 guys stop by to tell me about their project cars and ask me what I was doing, as well a one woman who offered to buy it from me.

IMG_20150221_093132.jpg

IMG_20150221_165121.jpg

IMG_20150221_165223.jpg

Got it all put back together today and it looks great, but I am going to have to buy an extra quart to get a few spots that I missed/didn't get correct coverage on. Overall I got much better coverage than I thought I was going to. The first gallon was enough for 2 coats on the top and walls plus 1 coat in the trunk. There was an 80% chance of rain on Sunday all week, so I thought I was racing against the weather, but of course it was 70 degrees and sunny today. Wish I had waited to do the floor until today because I got a little sloppy by the time the second coat was going down.

I also got one rip in the back seat floor area this morning that made me want to cry a little, but that will get taken care of with the extra quart.

And fwiw, I did find these rollers at Home Depot that could work in a pinch if you run out in the middle of the project. They're $5.
41yie7Kn6bL.jpg

IMG_20150221_090700.jpg

@magnetman you've got one hell of a product.

Got the inside all done this weekend in Medium Quartz Gray. This was a very fun, but very messy project! All done on the street in front of my house, which is a great way to meet the neighbors, btw. Probably had about 6 guys stop by to tell me about their project cars and ask me what I was doing, as well a one woman who offered to buy it from me.

IMG_20150221_093132.jpg

IMG_20150221_165121.jpg

IMG_20150221_165223.jpg

Got it all put back together today and it looks great, but I am going to have to buy an extra quart to get a few spots that I missed/didn't get correct coverage on. Overall I got much better coverage than I thought I was going to. The first gallon was enough for 2 coats on the top and walls plus 1 coat in the trunk. There was an 80% chance of rain on Sunday all week, so I thought I was racing against the weather, but of course it was 70 degrees and sunny today. Wish I had waited to do the floor until today because I got a little sloppy by the time the second coat was going down.

I also got one rip in the back seat floor area this morning that made me want to cry a little, but that will get taken care of with the extra quart.

And fwiw, I did find these rollers at Home Depot that could work in a pinch if you run out in the middle of the project. They're $5.
41yie7Kn6bL.jpg

IMG_20150221_090700.jpg

Truck is looking great bud!

Once we get a good week or so of decent temps I'm going to get my body work knocked out and line the whole truck.

Just joined this forum, first response here. I was looking at this product a few months back after seeing a guy that sprayed Line-x all over his truck and loving the look. I have a Galactic Grey 05 4runner and I love the color. I just ordered some samples and am hoping I can find one close to my stock color. I do a ton of offroading so I am thinking this will be my best option for protection. Planning on spraying the underside with the Chassis saver as well.

Just picked up a 1999 Cruiser and I'm looking to do the roll on application. I don't have a whole ton of free time courtesy of a house renovation and I'm short a garage. If there's anyone in Denver who has done the full job on a Cruiser and would be interested in getting paid to help me rock out mine please drop a PM. We're going to sell the third car soon so looking to get it done in the next month or so.

About to take on this project. I've got an 80 series and plan on rolling the whole truck . I was wondering if 2 gallons is really enough. I don't mind spending a little more to get full coverage so my question is should I buy a extra quart kit in addition to the 2 gallon kit? I was thinking of doing the roof with the quart kit and saving the gallons for the rest of the body.

Also does the the color mix up from the different gallons/quarts pretty uniform? If I used the quart on the roof and the 2 gallons on the body would you be able to see a color difference where the two different kits meet?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

If you mix by weight, it will be exactly the same. Get a good kitchen scale in grams, that will never see the kitchen.

Sent an email to Erik and got a quick reply. Here is mixing by weight reference.....

Attachments

• Monstaliner-Mix-Ratios-By-Weight.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 237
I have pics in the 80s section, but here they are again for those looking for sample pics! Sans Panties, 2 gallons, rolled.

I looked at the colors on the site and Sans Panties looks like a dark green color. Your color looks more like Urine Trouble. Did the colors change or is the website screwed up?

I looked at the colors on the site and Sans Panties looks like a dark green color. Your color looks more like Urine Trouble. Did the colors change or is the website screwed up?

The website is an extremely poor representation of the true color. You really need to order the chips and see them in person, outdoors. This is what you can expect to see

15241177626_900256c5ec_h.jpg

Yup have to agree with @jcardona1..... I have ordered multiple sets of chips just so I could see what the colors really look like. Also, you have to remember that not all cameras and monitors are color calibrated properly (most really don't realize this) so you have to take what the website representation of the color is with a grain of salt. Cant tell you how many people I have told this about their brand new LCD/LED TV because they are complaining about the colors being "off". Go threw some quick calibrations and BAM the TV picture suddenly looks much better.

For those of you that used aluminum 'foil' tape to cover body holes:
do I need to sand the holes then apply the tape or can I apply the tape w/out sanding where the tape goes?
Thanks.

For those of you that used aluminum 'foil' tape to cover body holes:
do I need to sand the holes then apply the tape or can I apply the tape w/out sanding where the tape goes?
Thanks.

I sand everything first, wipe it down with MEK, then cover/plug holes, etc... Then wipe it down with MEK again.

J

Anyone experiencing their Monstaliner being too soft? I find mine scratches easy and does not take much abuse. When I lined the lower quarters on my FJ62 with liner it was rock hard. The tinted liner I have in my 40 is soft, even after a year. I followed the same prep as with the black liner I used in my FJ62, so maybe its the tinted liner that is the issue. The tint was PPG and mixed for me by my local paint shop.

Maybe the coverage just isn't there and I need more. To re-coat it means I would have to scrape everything out and that would be a pain in the a**

* edit, might be the tint I added. Oops

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom