Dash Knobs...who's got them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They look pretty good , how durable is the laser engraving ? I assume basically the same process/result as what is used on modern machinist rules ?
Sarge

My company has had laser marking done on some cable assemblies. The process that I saw actual changes the outside layer of material so the marking is permanent.

Justin,

Like some of the other guys here, been watching your manufacture of these knobs for a while. Also, some of us are not rolling in dough, so the eventual price to buy a set becomes an issue.

Have you given any thought to producing just the raw knobs in aluminum, unanodized, maybe with or without the engraving, to keep the overall costs down for some of us interested in buying a full set?

They look good, and certainly for someone who hates plastic components, a welcome improvement.

Bravo.

I think every vendor is aware of this. it's almost insulting to remind someone like Redline who spends their money trying to provide solutions to our problems. Anyone can take the cash and have this done but the time and material make it expensive enough that most everyone would rather
buy the latest I Phone and the best cable package. I can't imagine these being done at a price that would make them profitable to the point
that the time invested made it worthwhile considering the numbers will be small. We should be thanking him for the favor he's doing us by even
considering the project rather than asking him to find ways to cut his profits so we can buy more beer and watch more football

I think every vendor is aware of this. it's almost insulting to remind someone like Redline who spends their money trying to provide solutions to our problems. Anyone can take the cash and have this done but the time and material make it expensive enough that most everyone would rather
buy the latest I Phone and the best cable package. I can't imagine these being done at a price that would make them profitable to the point
that the time invested made it worthwhile considering the numbers will be small. We should be thanking him for the favor he's doing us by even
considering the project rather than asking him to find ways to cut his profits so we can buy more beer and watch more football

^^^ This. I'm definitely not rolling in money, but products like these are "icing on the cake" in turning a good restoration into a great one. Folks like RedLine, Marlin, Racer65, Weber Sarge, Atlas, Poser, FjGoober, YellaDog, Rainman, 4Plus, South Boston FJ, etc. who continue to innovate and develop new replacement parts and modifications, as far as I can tell, do it for the love of it, more or less. In a few more years, they'll be the ones keeping these rigs on the road at all. It pretty much bankrupted Man-A-Fre trying to produce parts at a volume that would keep prices down for customers, as far as I can tell.

That said, if what Bear is suggesting is as easy as pulling it off the manufacturing line sooner and offering it at a reduced price, it might open up another small portion of the small market. Personally, I'd just save my pennies and buy the done deal.

This isn't meant to sound like an angry tirade - more a shout out to everyone who brings new products to the table in an industry where your customer base reaches a few hundred (maybe a few thousand) people nationwide, and sell at a price where we can afford it at all! Long story short, I'm willing to pay the extra money to support the folks who support my hobby - then again, my hobbies don't include anything above basic cable, or watching any sports whatsoever...but there is beer...lots and lots of beer...:cheers:

At the end of the day, I didn't buy a 39 year old truck because it would be cheap to drive/maintain.

Cheapthrills:

When a vendor asks for constructive feedback about an item, unsolicited comments about insults, beer, and cable TV are not needed, and are irrelevant and misdirecting.
There are many guys here who do their own work, buy used and aftermarket parts that fit their budgets, who still appreciate some nice additions to their vehicles if the opportunity presents. To reach the widest market, many manufacturers produce variations within a product-line, e.g. raw finished products, through powdercoating, chroming, and beyond. Asking a manufacturer such a question is certainly not out of line.

If your comments about being insulting, buying more beer and iPhones were directed at me, then I find them offensive. If my original posting to this thread was somehow puzzling, then I hope what I've written here helps clarify that.

Beyond that, if you have any further comments for me, please direct them to me privately, and not waste time and space here.

Bear

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/RE...000_resized_1_zpszgzpyz1r.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Ok so here is what we have so far. These are rendered from the wiper knob shape from the late 70's era 40 series. Right now we are using these for all of our knobs on the FJ-UTE. These are billet aluminum, then anodized gloss black. We can tumble them for a flat black look, but the small radius area at the main base section turns gloss black due to the tumble media not being able to get in. From that point we ship them to a laser etcher for the text specs. This burns in white lettering and does not cut into the knob material it's self, creating a sooth to touch face! What we are thinking now is to recreate the light knob shape and heater knob shape and have those knobs done the same way to recreate an accurate dash for the 40 series. Please let me know what you guys think. We are pondering the idea of selling these to the public based on feedback!

Thanks again

Justin
Interested in a set for a '76 40. Do tell if you decide to make some!

Cheapthrills:

When a vendor asks for constructive feedback about an item, unsolicited comments about insults, beer, and cable TV are not needed, and are irrelevant and misdirecting.
There are many guys here who do their own work, buy used and aftermarket parts that fit their budgets, who still appreciate some nice additions to their vehicles if the opportunity presents. To reach the widest market, many manufacturers produce variations within a product-line, e.g. raw finished products, through powdercoating, chroming, and beyond. Asking a manufacturer such a question is certainly not out of line.

If your comments about being insulting, buying more beer and iPhones were directed at me, then I find them offensive. If my original posting to this thread was somehow puzzling, then I hope what I've written here helps clarify that.

Beyond that, if you have any further comments for me, please direct them to me privately, and not waste time and space here.

Bear

It's not intended specifically toward you. Unless you've worked in a fab shop there's no way to understand. I worked in a machine shop for 15 years and another five in a "custom ' fab shop building crawlers and race trucks. I look at items with a realistic idea of what they cost.
Nothing built for the Land cruiser is "mass produced" with the possible exception of shackles and springs and spring bushings. The dash knobs will at best be break even at a price people think is restrictive. For a shop to build one simple light tab, 2" x 2" with one hole , takes 15 minutes or 1/4 hourly rate. A single tab that could be mass produced for 5 cents is $20.00 , one off, done by hand. If these knobs sell very well by cruiser standards he will sell 20 sets per year. To set up custom applications will do nothing but raise prices. For economy sake he's better off running the whole batch identical , put them on a shelf, then get on with more profitable jobs

knobs look sweet. how hard is it to customize? that would be where the market is IMO

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/RE...000_resized_1_zpszgzpyz1r.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Ok so here is what we have so far. These are rendered from the wiper knob shape from the late 70's era 40 series. Right now we are using these for all of our knobs on the FJ-UTE. These are billet aluminum, then anodized gloss black. We can tumble them for a flat black look, but the small radius area at the main base section turns gloss black due to the tumble media not being able to get in. From that point we ship them to a laser etcher for the text specs. This burns in white lettering and does not cut into the knob material it's self, creating a sooth to touch face! What we are thinking now is to recreate the light knob shape and heater knob shape and have those knobs done the same way to recreate an accurate dash for the 40 series. Please let me know what you guys think. We are pondering the idea of selling these to the public based on feedback!

Thanks again

Justin
When you start selling I'm in.
Looks great!

sweet ... a viable option that will become more viable as the "real" one's (i.e. used) disappear or become too pricey ... looking forward to seeing them for sale ...

Updates! We have in the cooker, all 3 different styler knobs getting made right now that are designed to replace a mid 70's -79dash.
the Headlight style
the heater style
and the hazzard style.
these come with new switch to dash holding screws as well

Sarge the laser etching is lifetime. Its burned into the anodizing!

We will start selling these in 3-4 weeks

Pricing is 38$ per knob, finished with etching and holding screws

Justin

Justin - those knobs looks fantastic! Great Job - I am going to want a set for myself.

Cruisercrap.com com has been producing shift knobs for the Landcruiser community for 10 years now. We are also coming out with a matching dash knob set to compliment our shift knobs. Here is a teaser shot of what we are going to roll out. For 2015 we are expanding our line of knobs, and should have a new website rolled out very soon with all the new styles.

These pull knobs will have set screws on the back, and will be available in the correct size and wording to use on your Vintage Air install.
(Shameless plug)

cruisercrap_knobs.jpg

Justin - those knobs looks fantastic! Great Job - I am going to want a set for myself.

Cruisercrap.com com has been producing shift knobs for the Landcruiser community for 10 years now. We are also coming out with a matching dash knob set to compliment our shift knobs. Here is a teaser shot of what we are going to roll out. For 2015 we are expanding our line of knobs, and should have a new website rolled out very soon with all the new styles.

These pull knobs will have set screws on the back, and will be available in the correct size and wording to use on your Vintage Air install.
(Shameless plug)

View attachment 1039834
Knobs? Where's the Land Cruiser Lev-o-gage you promised me? ;)

gauge_500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom