For Sale Pig hunting fj55 wanted (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looked at a 70 fj55 today.pretty sad..as I willing to build it, already had 350 conversion ,it was all there and the rust appeared minimal...broken windshield and back glass, and the tail gate was rotted out ...then the title is in some sorta lien fight with some felon in jail and a previous owner .. Ugh
Not happening and it's 10 miles away . So lame

Howdy,
I'm pretty new to 55s and here is where I'm at so far:

I bought a rig off ebay, sight unseen, for about $3600. Owner said everything worked, "some" rust but no big deal, and he wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country blah bla blah.
Ok, live and learn (rig does run really well BTW, it's just the other "minor" stuff).
Another $600 for transport to my home.

Now I have a piggy that runs, but needs all kinds of other attention, and needs parts that are mythical in nature, or cost a mortgage payment (e.g. Weatherstrip kit at $2200 from SOR).

So.......bought a parts pig for $1200, plus $150 for the ferry ride and whatever gas may have been. Add in another $150 for craigslist "gotta have" little pig parts and manuals etc.

At this point I've got $5700 into the project, And I have two non-running rigs in my driveway, one of which is going to take at least another $5K to finish. Which, will happen, just slower than I thought:confused::doh:.

So......$8-$10k for a nice, finished rig seems like a pretty good deal to me right now. Maybe see if you can put down a down payment and get owner financing from a sympathetic 55 owner ;).

Good luck in your search!

Fj60 starting to look like a better option. Checked out an 85 4runner and passed on it ...I could have lived with it but...the fj55 I looked at needed a windshield and rubber $$ouch
There is a running 78 parts rig with good windshield for 1$k close by...then I would have 2 pigs and less common sense ...I dunno
If I don't find one this summer fj60 it is...reading these build threads seems common to have a few parts rigs just to bring one together ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom