Bolt on Bike carrier for swing out spare? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new bike to get my fat arse back into shape :redface:

Too lazy to fold the seats down or throw it on the roof, so I'd like to get a bolt on carrier for the swing out spare :cool:

Thing is, my spare isn't centered, so it will need to be offset a bit :hmm:

dtracsinstalled7.JPG

What are my options?

Weld on a receiver hitch on an angled bar (triangular "flag") coming from BEHIND the spare tire, down toward center at 45*, then have the receiver there and install the hitch mounted version. This way, you can still use your pintle and you can carry the bike, as it will be ABOVE the pintle. Have it attached to the spare carrier so it will swing out of the way with the spare. When not needed, you just have an open receiver hitch that swings.(only for carrying accessories such as a bike carrier or portable toilet.)

Maybe something like this and a receiver rack? Receiver racks come in different varieties that can reduce damage to bikes. Platform racks (1UP), bike hanging racks (Northshore), or the 2 top tube cradle style mounting racks.

http://man-a-fre.com/pa/receiverhitch.htm

Weld on a receiver hitch on an angled bar (triangular "flag") coming from BEHIND the spare tire, down toward center at 45*, then have the receiver there and install the hitch mounted version. This way, you can still use your pintle and you can carry the bike, as it will be ABOVE the pintle. Have it attached to the spare carrier so it will swing out of the way with the spare. When not needed, you just have an open receiver hitch that swings.(only for carrying accessories such as a bike carrier or portable toilet.)

Sumthin like this?

tirehitchidea.jpg

Yup!

Need to add a horizontal bar to carry the load back to the tire support, and I'd make it a little higher, but the right concept! (And behind the wheel (between the wheel and the body) then you can use a standard pin to install the bike rack when needed. you can swap it out with other accessories like a hitch-rack. Won't have the 500LB capacity, but it could do some things.

Maybe something like this and a receiver rack? Receiver racks come in different varieties that can reduce damage to bikes. Platform racks (1UP), bike hanging racks (Northshore), or the 2 top tube cradle style mounting racks.

http://man-a-fre.com/pa/receiverhitch.htm

Nah, the original idea behind my adjustable slider hitch was so that it didn't hang down low when not in use, which is why I didn't use the bolt on receiver in the first place :redface:

That being said, I've been far too lazy to remove it so it hangs down anyways :doh:

I have used this for 3 years now & think it's the best solution as long as it is for 1 or 2 bikes
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/spare-tire/sparetime

The mount goes behind your spare tire & sticks out the hub hole. The rack itself can then be easily be put on or taken off in a couple of minutes. The arms fold down when no bike is on it.

Just toss the bike up on the roof rack. That way you'll get more exercise climbing up there to get it down. Couple of cheap ratchet straps and your golden!

I have used this for 3 years now & think it's the best solution as long as it is for 1 or 2 bikes
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/spare-tire/sparetime

The mount goes behind your spare tire & sticks out the hub hole. The rack itself can then be easily be put on or taken off in a couple of minutes. The arms fold down when no bike is on it.
Does it address the off set spare tire?

Anyway, when i finish my swing outs (hahaha been saying that for awhile), I want to build a vertical one similar to:
P1012215.jpg

Luke & 4x4labs has a vertical one for his swing outs.

I've had no issues with the bike sticking out further than your review mirror. You can always pop a wheel off too.

+1^ Saw his bike rack yesterday at his shop and it was pretty damn cool.

Luke & 4x4labs has a vertical one for his swing outs.

I've had no issues with the bike sticking out further than your review mirror. You can always pop a wheel off too.

Is it a new design or the same one from a few years ago? Hangs from the front skewer?

I have a seaman similar to the one landcrshr mentions above, no issues and as it sits at a 45 degree angle at the one ( or two) bikes are almost completely behind the truck, stable and secure, I did have to modify the bracket a bit as it is not built for a 35'tire but it is stable and secure

Yes, but I have mine mounted at a 45 angle inboard, and it is a 'swagman' i will grab a pic in the am

Decided to take the cheap and easy way out :redface:

Picked up a regular receiver mount dual bike carrier off of EBay for $65 bucks, then welded in a 2" receiver tube after machining a spacer and bolting it up to the winch plate for solid bracing :cool:

fzjhitchmod1.jpg

fzjhitchmod2.jpg

fzjhitchmod3.jpg

fzjhitchmod4.jpg

fzjhitchmod5.jpg

fzjhitchmod6.jpg

fzjhitchmod7.jpg

fzjhitchmod8.jpg

fzjhitchmod9.jpg

fzjhitchmod10.jpg

fzjhitchmod11.jpg

fzjhitchmod12.jpg

fzjhitchmod13.jpg

fzjhitchmod14.jpg

fzjhitchmod15.jpg

fzjhitchmod16.jpg

Still have to weld up a chain loop and I need to use an extension tube in order to mount two bikes, but

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom