JDM 13BT in a 40,need some help simplifying wiring and vacuum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi Guys I am putting a 43 body on a JDM BJ74 chassis with a 13BT auto tranny.I did use a BJ71 13bt many years ago in a 40 swap but it seems that the Euro 13BT/H55 is way different from the JDM 13BT/A44o in regards to the amount of clutter on the latter.It seems that it has as many vacuum lines as a emission controlled gasser.I want to keep it as simple as possible and remove as much as I can from the vacuum lines and unnecessary electrical.Goal is to use a 12V starter and alternator (Isuzu or used OEM).For the vacuum I need to hook up the transfer case shift but am wondering if I need to keep any of the other VSV's or if I can remove em all.Since I live in Texas with a mostly above freezing temp range I do not think I need to connect the glow screen wich has probably some connections to some sensors.

If you have any pics of a decluttered 13BT in a 40/60 please share.

I tried the search but not much info on this,help me clear up the clutter guys ;)

Thanks

Joe

did you identify how many vacuum lines you actually have ..?

You can start with your t-case converting it to manual.. since you are there ..;)

did you identify how many vacuum lines you actually have ..?

You can start with your t-case converting it to manual.. since you are there ..;)

T-case is the only thing I want to keep vacuum activated,it is nice to have the ability to flip a switch vs having to reach over to the shifter ;)

T-case is the only thing I want to keep vacuum activated,it is nice to have the ability to flip a switch vs having to reach over to the shifter ;)

getting old pal .. !

The vacuum system on a 13B-T is simple, and all necessary for reliable operation in a diesel, where you can't turn off the ignition because there is none.

This might help
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj74-restoration-and-lhd-conversion-has-begun.643313/page-14#post-8947331

It should be simple but I am convinced that around 75% of the spaghetti on it now can be removed since I am not running any vsv's or boost lights or anything like that.Goal is to achieve a running and functioning 13BT/A440 in a BJ43 with the stock 40 gauges and maybe a few aftermarket ones like boost,egt and a more accurate water temp.But the setup must be much simplifiyed vs the usual OEM Toyota setup where you need a doctorate to figure it all out ;(

Joe

RTD is correct. There are three VSVs on my '74. Two control the transfer case and one is for shutdown. The combustion air shutdown VSV is mounted on the engine block and in a location that contributes to it failing. I replaced mine at about 120k and mounted it on the firewall.

Got it running today and discovered that it is very easy to do a manual shut off without using any of the VSV's.Just connected a cable to the small lever on the pump and am stalling the motor like this.It also seems that my vacuum shifted transfer case is actively in 4wd mode without supplying vacuum so I am good at that front also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom