Wrench set? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I buy quality tool. I don't buy Horrible Freight tools.

I have this set along with other USA made wrench sets. This is a very nice set of metric wrenches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-Hand-Too...474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41905350a2

Better be good at 7x the price of my Horrible Freight metric set that hasn't seen a nut or bolt it couldn't turn.

http://t.harborfreight.com/14-pc-fully-polished-metric-combination-wrench-set-68790.html

I buy cheap tools that work. I have many other cheap tools that work. If it's a tool or item I expect to use everyday, I'll buy nice nice.

I am in the process of doubling all my tools so I can leave a set in the 80. Harbor Frieght is looking like it will get my business for some. If only they sold individual tools.

Again I'm just gonna throw this out there. I own professional tool truck brand tools and a lot of HF. I've wrenched professionally and I have a lot of friends who work in Auto, diesel, and heavy diesel industries. A lot of harbor freight tools run just fine, especially for the use they're gonna see from most of ya'll...

I couldn't in good faith tell you that you need to go out and buy a $176 SK wrenches or . Not saying you need to buy HF but if it's between crafstman and HF yeah I'd go HF for most things.

There are other nice brands out there that won't break the bank but aren't quite as cheap as HF though either.

Be as much of a tool snob as you want... it's your money. I'm doubtful any of you went out and dropped fxxxing 7k on tools when you were first buying tools though, and if you did they were probably for a job.

The biggest problem I've found in buying a set of wrenches is just that - getting a full set and that is really irritating . Leaving out certain sizes since some SAE sizes are "close enough" isn't a solution in my opinion . I avoid any set that doesn't include every single wrench and will not budge on that . The SK set is nice and considering it includes all the sizes up to 22mm is great and certainly part of the price .
Sarge

Was wondering what you all thought of this set? I have a buddy who swears by this exact set and keeps it in his rig (and originally paid the full price). I'm new to wrenching so looking for an ideal "starter" set without the need to replace crappy quality parts in the future...usually $300 on sale for $190. Let me know, thanks guys!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-263-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00940263000P

EDIT: Apologies if I'm "hijacking" the thread - I am in literally an identical situation (need to put in o2 sensors this weekend and have a bunch of other PM to attempt) and didn't want to start a new thread and get bashed for not using the search function...

Sorry, meant to post in the hf coupn thread.

Last edited:
I think it's OK to start with a set like that or HF. It's a crapshoot which peices are going to be good or bad but most will be OK. I'd expect the ratchets to be the most fragile part.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I've found in buying a set of wrenches is just that - getting a full set and that is really irritating . Leaving out certain sizes since some SAE sizes are "close enough" isn't a solution in my opinion . I avoid any set that doesn't include every single wrench and will not budge on that . The SK set is nice and considering it includes all the sizes up to 22mm is great and certainly part of the price .
Sarge

Like I said there are other nice brands out there for cheaper. I found some sets of bluepoint for cheaper. Gearwrench for 1/2 the cost and same sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom