Fish and Seafood (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
trail-tailor.com
The wife and I got to go back to civilization this past weekend (Denver) and stocked up on a few beer varieties, fish and meats..

I was intrigued at SKATE.. I had never heard of it and found out it is a ray more or less. The wings in particular. I talked with the butcher/monger and then browsed through the market searching on google for recipes and whatnot..

We decided to buy a pound to try out. I decided to cook it two ways.. cornmeal fried OF COURSE and butter sauteed. Accompanied by safron rice and spinach and tomatoes.

I was thoroughly impressed with the texture (very similar to scallops) and the soft taste. I would recommend this to anyone who is wanting to be adventurous..

We love fish and seafood, so post up what your favorites are.

Cheers,

J

P1050688.JPG
P1050701.JPG
P1050703.JPG
P1050704.JPG
P1050705.JPG

IIRC Skate is often used as a fill in for scallops ("imitation"). We've caught them while halibut fishing in Alaska. But unless its halibut or ling cod most captains let 'em live ;).

Looks fresh!

Chilli stingray/skate is an immensely popular street dish in Singapore. Done in a wok with sambal and served with way to many Tiger beers it's pretty hard to beat. Never seen 'ray wings in my neck of the woods but I agree it's great eating.

Looks very nice and pardon the question -I am curious- is there any odd -rayish- residual taste besides the normal fishy one?

On another note, I do have grilled shrimp with spicy garlic olive oil regularly. Wonderful. (Costco has a bunch of different sizes, but not sure if sustainable or not - likely not, like most of the shrimp we see these days...)

Recent faves are monkfish, striped bass and the very occasional Chilean sea bass. I really like - oh crap I can't think of it now - an oily fish, torpedo shaped, maybe a pound or two whole, vertical stripes, inexpensive...I like it as sushi or grilled. Mackerel! That's it. I might be in a lonely club with that one.

Skate is good. Yes, sometimes unscrupulously substituted as scallops in restaurants.

...via IH8MUD app

I have been holding on this recipe in my notebook for months.

With a minor tweak tonight, Crab Chimi:
101_1526.jpg

1 lb crabmeat
1/2 cup chopped green onion
2 cups baby spinach chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced tomato (1 Roma)
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup Monty Jack
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos ( I subbed 6 finely chopped fresh serranos)
Torts and a fryer.

This is a keeper..

I have been holding on this recipe in my notebook for months.

With a minor tweak tonight, Crab Chimi: View attachment 952258

1 lb crabmeat
1/2 cup chopped green onion
2 cups baby spinach chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced tomato (1 Roma)
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup Monty Jack
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos ( I subbed 6 finely chopped fresh serranos)
Torts and a fryer.

This is a keeper..

I will give this a try.. Looks great Split.

J

Reevesci,
Try this out for a Mexican Surf n Turf, or shrimp Tacos
A few 16-20 shrimp peeled and deveined.
Put in a bowl with a splash of EVOO, add in a sprinkle of taco seasoning, granulated garlic, cumin, zest of one lime (or so), chipotle powder (if wanted), and fresh chopped cilantro.
Let sit for at least an hour, or more +/-
Then cook in a small pan on the stove top til just done.
I used to put this combo on the grill (with smoke), but got in a hurry one day and threw it into a pan and turned out so much better.
I will also put 2 or 3 on a skewer with a piece of roasted pabalno, and use in place of celery for a chelada.
-Jim

Chipolte Shrimp Burritos with green chili coming up.... with refried beans and cilantro lime rice.

Made a few salsas and sauces.

Avacado serrano crema
Pico
Blended salsa
Chipolte lime crema

Shrimp are marinating for later so enjoying a bloody mary, watching Draft Day and surfing the net..

Cheers,

J

P1010357.JPG
P1010360.JPG
P1010361.JPG

Roomie just made a Tillapia, cheddar, guac, burrito thingy. Was creamy and lacked a bit of spicy.

That Chipotle Shrimp Burrito recipe looks awesome and not hard to fix. Thinking we may try this over the weekend.

On a separate note, does anyone have a good recipe idea for swordfish?

We make ( when available... NOT VERY OFTEN...) a grilled swordfish (I sub mahi-mahi ) with a fresh mango & pineapple habanero salsa on a bed on saffron/lemon zest rice. I'll try and post the recipe for you or M you...

J

That sounds fantastic! Will be patiently awaiting that recipe. ;)

@txoutdoorx4 here ya go.

MANGO/PINEAPPLE SALSA

• 1 Mango, peeled and diced
  • 1 small can pineapple chunks
  • ½ Cup diced red onion
  • ½ Cup diced red pepper
  • ¼ Cup green onions, finely chopped
  • 2 Habanero peppers, finely diced (cut to one or zero, if you are concerned)
  • 1 Jalapeño, diced
  • 1 Lime, zested and juiced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Cut into small pieces, stir together and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

SAFFRON LEMON RICE

• 1/8 teaspoon saffron
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup rice
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • zest from 1 lemon
  • juice from one lemon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Add all ingredients and cook until done. I originally used Zatarians yellow rice mix and added the lemon juice and lemon zest to it. Either way is GOOD!

Cook swordfish, mahi mahi or halibut to your liking. Serve over the saffron rice and top with salsa.

Cheers,

J

Ditto looks yummy....:clap:

Oysters, hear it that time of year and we like them fried. Just bought some labled Pacific in plastic jars, not good. What do I look for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom