Mike's 1978 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you get the hardware I sent you for the ps pulley?

Thanks Georg! I appreciate your input. I'm currently trying to source a snap-on CJ119b puller for a descent price and that should do the job, I hope.
CJ119B.jpg

Is this the one you use?

Did you get the hardware I sent you for the ps pulley?

Yes I did, thank you so much!
One little problem when I installed the pulley on the PS pump it doesn't line up with the main crank and water pump pulleys, it looks like it needs shims to be pushed away from the pump. What do you recommend?
I will need a single larger belt which size do you recommend?
Will I need an idler pulley in order to apply some pressure on the water pump belt and pulley?

full

full

Last edited:
Did you try turning the pully around... I can't recall if mine was too far or close ... But... Flipped it around and was lined right up perfect

Thanks Johnny! I'll try it.

No such things as shims or tensioner pulleys for a 2F.

You need to mimic the belt layout for a later 2F with factory PS. So that belt will run from the harmonic balancer to the PS to the alternator and back to the balancer. It doesn't touch the water pump. And obviously you'll need the belt as well. If you go OEM Toyota ( which is what I would run and suggest for you ) then get one for an FJ60. They were all the same from 81-87.

Hth

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Yes on the puller, that's the one I use. But be cautious, if you keep hammering on it with a good air impact gun, it will break.

Make sure you wear eye protection.......,

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Today I had some spare time to work on the PS system, I finished installing the PS pulley, also installed the belt and quickly discovered that the belt is in contact with the upper rad hose, so at this point I'm stuck. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem?

I'm using an FJ60 pump and mounting bracket.
full

full

full

full

full

The belt is loose as a goose, if I tighten more it digs in the rad hose
full

Last edited:
Is that a factory hose? I just put a new OEM one on mine tonight to deal with a similar issue. It has a tighter bend to avoid that problem than yours looks to have.

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

Or maybe the FJ60 upper thermostat housing is a slightly different shape to point the hose in a different direction?

The "issue" is the thermostat housing. I'll do some digging tomorrow to see if I have a housing that'll work. Obviously the later 2F 4-bolt thermostat housing would work, but you don't have an oil cooler on the engine which will limit your options some.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

The "issue" is the thermostat housing. I'll do some digging tomorrow to see if I have a housing that'll work. Obviously the later 2F 4-bolt thermostat housing would work, but you don't have an oil cooler on the engine which will limit your options some.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Georg, I have a two (2) bolt Tstat housing not 4. I appreciate your help.

I've been looking at your first pic of the power steering pump. First, it does look like a thermostat housing that points upwards more would solve the problem.

Maybe it's an optical illusion caused by the angle of the pic, but the first pic in post 169 makes it look like the power steering pulley is not aligned with the other pulley on the opposite side of the motor. It might be tight quarters there to do this, but place a straight edge across the crank pulley and make sure both pulleys are on the same plane. If the crank pulley is a multiple groove pulley, which I think it is, this will be harder to do, but it is doable with an extra hand and a tape measure.

At the same time you can make sure the opposite side pulley is properly aligned.

It looks like you have limited space there and may need to temporarily remove some items, but if the pulleys are not closely aligned you will experience odd belt wear, and possible future problems.

Don

Here's a comparison pic showing the type of housing you currently have and the later taller housing.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

1423850125731.jpg

You can plug the oil cooler nipple off. This is in a 78 FJ40 with a 2F and PS with no oil cooler.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

1423850216923.jpg

You can plug the oil cooler nipple off. This is in a 78 FJ40 with a 2F and PS with no oil cooler.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

So by using this Tstat housing solves the belt issue? I'm also concerned about the misaligned pulleys as this condition will wear belts prematurely, does the Saginaw PS pump align better than the FJ60 pump?
Thanks!

Every FJ40/45/60 with PS utilizes that exact belt and pulley setup. They're all slightly offset. I can post pics of an FJ60 engine later today it that would help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Please do Georg, my Saginaw pump is not aligned so I would like to compare to an oem setup

Every FJ40/45/60 with PS utilizes that exact belt and pulley setup. They're all slightly offset. I can post pics of an FJ60 engine later today it that would help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Thanks Georg, I'd like to see some pics of the OEM pulley alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom