Inexpensive Rooftop Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you love rooftop tents but can't afford the weight or price, here's an alternative I came up with. If money were no object, I'd have a Tacoma with one of those hard shell hardtop tents. Or better yet, a Tacoma with a small slide in camper. My budget and dreams have compromised with this 2014 Nissan Versa and a rooftop tent setup.

1000DSC00251_zpsb80e6758.jpg

1000DSC00266_zps6dde09f6.jpg

1000DSC00252_zpse6c08b64.jpg

First I got a Rhino Rack 2500 Series Heavy Duty roof rack. Then I got a Kamp Rite tent cot. I replaced the screws holding the legs to the tent cot with hand tightening knob screws/nuts. They're the kind that you see on a lawnmower handle. This way the cot can be bolted to the roof or the original legs easily. I made some shorter legs out of PVC and bolted them to the roof rack cross bars using some U bolts. To reinforce the setup laterally, I used some ratcheting straps. It works out pretty nice and can easily be duplicated. It's all pretty straight forward. The entire rig weighs a little under 50LBs. The tent cot is 35lbs and the roof rack is roughly 15lbs. The setup cuts gas mileage by about 2-4 mpg on average according to the display. It's also noisy and vibrates at certain speeds. I'm working on a different ladder setup and a weatherproof cover.

I know I need to get some pictures of it all packed up but that won't happen until late May.

Anyway, just thought I'd share so that anyone can experience the freedom of a RTT on a budget. The total cost should be South of $500.00.

What is the advantage of sleeping on the roof of the car?

That double tent cot setup is awesome.

As for advantages vs setting up a traditional tent on the ground, there are several:

- Faster/easier setting and packing up
- Away from critters such as snakes seeking warmth, 'coons seeking snacks, spiders and scorpions seeking refuge in boots, etc.
- Frees up storage space in the car.
- It's cooler in the Summertime with air flowing underneath.
- You don't have to worry about water runoff or getting the tent all muddy when it rains.
- It can be setup in areas where tent stakes are hard or impossible to use.
- Your vehicle is less likely to be broken into with you on top of it.
- The view is a little bit better.

There are a few tradeoffs though:

- Worse gas mileage
- Wind noise while driving
- Cost. A nice setup can cost thousands.
- Colder than a conventional tent in cold weather.
- You're limited to camping only where you can drive. Actually, that's not a problem with my setup. I just bring the legs in case I want to set the cot up on the ground or a picnic table. With bolts that can be removed by hand, it's easy to transfer the tent cot from the car to the original legs and back again.

Plus it's what all the cool kids do! All jokes aside awesome idea! Guess I need to try it out!

You can get RTT's on Alibaba for just $500 each if you buy ten of them. There's got to be ten mudders looking for one. And I figure this is how everyone else gets them. Dealers I mean.

You can get RTT's on Alibaba for just $500 each if you buy ten of them. There's got to be ten mudders looking for one. And I figure this is how everyone else gets them. Dealers I mean.

I've thought about doing that..keeping one and selling the rest on Yahoo auctions. RTT's in Japan are crazy expensive. Most offered are the hard top types.

I have a Heilite single wheel popup trailer from the 50s. 200lbs with suspension. I always thought removing the box from trailer frame and putting on roof rack would work well and be lite weight.
If you love rooftop tents but can't afford the weight or price, here's an alternative I came up with. If money were no object, I'd have a Tacoma with one of those hard shell hardtop tents. Or better yet, a Tacoma with a small slide in camper. My budget and dreams have compromised with this 2014 Nissan Versa and a rooftop tent setup.

1000DSC00251_zpsb80e6758.jpg

1000DSC00266_zps6dde09f6.jpg

1000DSC00252_zpse6c08b64.jpg

First I got a Rhino Rack 2500 Series Heavy Duty roof rack. Then I got a Kamp Rite tent cot. I replaced the screws holding the legs to the tent cot with hand tightening knob screws/nuts. They're the kind that you see on a lawnmower handle. This way the cot can be bolted to the roof or the original legs easily. I made some shorter legs out of PVC and bolted them to the roof rack cross bars using some U bolts. To reinforce the setup laterally, I used some ratcheting straps. It works out pretty nice and can easily be duplicated. It's all pretty straight forward. The entire rig weighs a little under 50LBs. The tent cot is 35lbs and the roof rack is roughly 15lbs. The setup cuts gas mileage by about 2-4 mpg on average according to the display. It's also noisy and vibrates at certain speeds. I'm working on a different ladder setup and a weatherproof cover.

I know I need to get some pictures of it all packed up but that won't happen until late May.

Anyway, just thought I'd share so that anyone can experience the freedom of a RTT on a budget. The total cost should be South of $500.00.[/QQUOTE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom