Second row & rear cargo lights will not come on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changing out the interior lights to LEDs today in my moms LX and noticed the two rear passenger door courtesy lights do not turn on when opening the door. The fronts work fine. Also noticed rear dome lamp will not turn on when opening second row or hatch door, but it will come on with the manual switch.

All the door switches work, because the forward dome lamp will come on when you open the rear doors and the hatch door. I checked the fuses under the hood, haven't checked anything else yet. Any advice is appreciated.

Polarity correct on each bulb?

Could polarity affect that sort of thing? I wouldn't think they would come on at all if that was the issue.

Sorry forgot to mention I flipped the LEDs, tried different LEDs, swapped housings, and put the old bulbs back in. I'm pretty stumped. I don't expect fuse to be bad as all other lights have power.

Did putting the old bulbs back in solve the issue?

I checked the dome fuse today, it's fine... All the courtesy lights run on the same fuse.

So basically, all 5 of my door switches work, the two rear passenger door courtesy lights won't turn on, the rear dome light won't turn on when the door is opened (but will on manual switch). Opening the rear doors and hatch will cause the front dome lamp to turn on.

I'm guessing either something is unplugged, a bad body ECU, or possibly a personalized setting (unlikely). By chance, does anyone know if there are there any relays around the back doors? My personal LX won't turn on the rear dome until a rear door or hatch is opened. So it's like the rear lights aren't getting that signal to turn on when the back doors are opened.

Update: I checked Techstream and there are no DT codes for the body. There is a menu for customizing Illuminated Entry, but it doesn't show any options. The door lock customization also doesn't show any options, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing everything on Techstream. Would anyone be kind enough to check their Techstream and see if any option is available for illuminated entry in the Body section?

Last edited:
first world problems and all.... but I'd be interested to know if this is customizable as well, via techstream of some voodoo tap dance of blinker, brake and lock. Seems strange that a $60K car is so dark upon entry.

first world problems and all.... but I'd be interested to know if this is customizable as well, via techstream of some voodoo tap dance of blinker, brake and lock. Seems strange that a $60K car is so dark upon entry.

Agreed. My vehicle prior to my LC was an F-150 and it was nice because when you unlocked it, the bed light would come on, along with the headlights, and the interior lights. That was VERY nice, especially when it's really dark out there.

Agreed. My vehicle prior to my LC was an F-150 and it was nice because when you unlocked it, the bed light would come on, along with the headlights, and the interior lights. That was VERY nice, especially when it's really dark out there.

My F-150 lights up the running boards, bed, and interior when unlocking, which is pretty nice. It also lights up the interior when you just touch the keypad, which I don't like, so I don't keep anything valuable in it.

Bump, if someone will hook up tech stream to their early model 100 and see if there are any options available for illuminated entry. They only option on mine is for tilt/telescopic steering.
Thanks.

what about a corroded terminal inside the 2nd/3rd row switches? - like bad connection when in "door" mode. i'd imagine this could give the symptoms you've described - works fine in "on" and when testing the individual door activators.

as for the courtesy lights, that sounds like they have reversed polarity - but you tried swapping already? perhaps a bad connection between the bulb and socket?

what about a corroded terminal inside the 2nd/3rd row switches? - like bad connection when in "door" mode. i'd imagine this could give the symptoms you've described - works fine in "on" and when testing the individual door activators.

as for the courtesy lights, that sounds like they have reversed polarity - but you tried swapping already? perhaps a bad connection between the bulb and socket?

I'll take the doors switches out and inspect, but they all seem to work as the front Dome will turn on/off when any 5 of the doors are opened/closed.

I swapped known good bulb housings to the back doors, still inop. I'll remove the rear dome and see if there's something in there. I have parts from my 100 I can swap.

Basically, the car knows the back doors and hatch are open, but the lights aren't getting the signal to turn on. Like its a bad relay or a controller.

I'm going to get the wiring diagram and see how the system works. It's not a big deal, as I can manually turn on the rear dome, but hate when things don't work as they should.

Try plugging the bulbs into another socket that you does work. Also, do you have a multi-meter? If so, check to see if you're getting current to the plug.

My 1999 LC has maps up front, 2nd row and 3rd/cargo lights.
Opening driver door lights only the 2nd row light ie. above the center console/in front of the 2nd row.
Opening the 2nd row doors turns on the 3rd row/cargo light.
Also feel interior could use better illumination.

@r2m Like I said, I swapped known good bulbs and housings and it doesn't work. I was able to find the system troubleshoot in the FSM, so I'll try that when I get the car back. Maybe the power routes to the rear doors through the rear dome and the rear dome is inop on the "door" setting.

@CA Cruisin this is how it is supposed to work. My LX works perfectly as you described. Order the @pfran42 LEDS for the interior and the Cree reverse lights. The front dome LED is a little overkill at night, but the interior is at least twice as bright with the LEDS versus stock bulbs.

Thanks TXLX100, esp. could use more reverse light as well!

Not sure if these are my bulbs or not, but send me an IM (or an email to info@pfranleds.com - make sure to link me to this thread) and i'll hook you up with a kit.

I've bought a couple of your kits and had no problems. One of the door lights in the last kit was a bit off center where the bulb meets the housing but it works.... Plus you send extras which is great.

I think I found a lead to fixing this. When I was adding electrical to the vehicle, I noticed two DIY wires going towards the right rear pop out window, from the front. I found a couple harnesses clipped or unplugged in the front and rear of the vehicle.

So I'm guessing one of these detached wires is related to the light situation. Now I'm wondering why they bypassed the window motor wiring and what caused that. The body quarter panel looks factory from the inside.

It's been a while, this ever get resolved? I'm having the identical issue.
- rear courtesy lights don't work (but the main dome light illuminates when door is open in "door" mode)
- Cargo area dome does not work in "door" mode, but does when manually switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom