KK6HWP's '97 Tacoma Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, here comes a big one.

IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg

got the 4AWG cables for the new 140amp alternator soldered and shrink tubed, all ready to go. Also installed the black wire, the new ground to battery cable.

IMG_0447.jpg

the new home for the Scangauge II, mounted above the quad band 8900 control head.

IMG_0450.jpg

the cat 6 cable runs from the obd2 sensor up the a pillar and across the head liner to the scan gauge.

IMG_0442.jpg

new mount for the 7100 mounted and positioned.

IMG_0441.jpg

mounted it up with the lido lm-700 ultimount, it sticks on and takes 72 hours to cure. since the radio is so new to the market the special adapter mount doesn't exist yet, so i made one from some aluminum

IMG_0446.jpg

the control head does not interfere with either of the shifters. as of yet i haven't really tested it, but it seems not to move when i poke at it.

Last edited:
IMG_0443.jpg

photos of the final air compressor tank install. the yellow line comes from the compressor under the hood. i added a standard 1/4in quick connect to make comections easy and relatively universal. still have to wire the pressure sensor in to the circuit and wire in a relay and switch on the dash. the tank is mounted under the drivers side door, above the frame rail near the transfer-case.

Update:

The mount for the HF radio (IC-7100) fell off. Not sure why, just kinda came mostly then all the way off. so the control head is temporarily removed.

The air compressor is finally fully installed. pics to come.

Whent wheeling in Holister Hills SVRA and in Mi-Wuk, got muddy and had some fun.

At some point wheeling i broke the other shock on the rear axle, yes now both have died. they both got replaced with Monroe's. pics to come.

attempted the alternator install, belt was too small. ordered a new pulley, hopefully it will allow me to use the stock belts. if not i will get a higher output at idle. win win? yep i think so. i'll reattempt the install when work slows down.

washed the truck today, got water in the ignition system, so new plugs and wires! got them installed and now it runs great!

taco also got an oil change. productive day.

got the alternator and new battery cables installed today. alternator was relatively straight forward, a bolt a few washers and an adapter cable its done. all and all it took a new longer belt and some elbow grease.
IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg

also installed a new battery, a marine deep cycle. very satisfied with the final product.

installed a new compressor today to replace the old one that stopped working

IMG_0500.jpg

there are a lot of big changes coming up... super excited!

Do it! getting my ham license and upgrading to general has been one of my best decisions!

IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg

Bumper got partial ripped off so a new one was in order!

aftermarket bumper with a few personal touches.
added the custom brackets for the turn signals and had to rewire the turn signals.
a few coats of spray on bed liner over 2 coats of self etching primer.

the badlands winch was very quickly removed and replaced with a Smitybuilt 10k gen.2, a very robust and reliable winch and its waterproof!

i will post an updated photo of the bumper now that it has been on since July.

IMG_0568.jpg

radiator sprang a leak recently, all the new parts are sitting waiting till i get a day to install them. the leak isn't terrible, the engine hasn't over heated.

IMG_0571.jpg

put the rock sliders on the day before the trip, the offroad fun... lets just say... helped remove them... my mounts were not strong enough to hold them on. oh well thats how we learn.

here is a new photo of the front of the truck. it shows the smittybuilt winch (with cover on) and the led offered lights. it also shows the strobe lights on. if you look closely there is a red connector just below the winch, it is a Anderson Powerpole 175 amp. contus rated quick connect for the new jumper cables. pics of those and the install to come later.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

new 18w spot lights got added to the back of the truck. they have been wired to come on with a stitch in the dash OR when the reverse lights come on. it took about 2 hours to wire up. 16 awg from the battery to the back of the truck, 22awg from the dash to the relay, and 22awg from the reverse light to the relay. the 16 awg powers both the lights, the 2 22awg wires are trigger wires for the relay. I'm quite happy over all, but i think the place i have chosen to mount the lights may be a little too close to the antennas, they may be moving.

IMG_0670.jpg

finished some necessary maintainice today.
new radiator
new upper and lower coolant hoses
new thermostat
new oil and filter
new washer fluid
new water pump
new belts

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

All and all a great 2 days!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back