Let's See Your Toyota Expedition Build... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

some might argue I should have posted my long overdue HZJ78 expo build in this part of the forum, but I ended up putting it in the 70's forum the other day as there will be a lot of 70's specific tech information mixed in with the touring mods. but it is a live-in expedition build so i thought i'd pass on the link.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hzj78-all-climate-expo-build.821715/

14Tinted.JPG

I will play!! Still a work in progress. But very happy so far!

FloridaFJ80 - how did you mount that upper rack in the back?

That is interesting. Assumed it was just hanging mesh, not an actual hard rack.

That is interesting. Assumed it was just hanging mesh, not an actual hard rack.

This thread is the most recent one I know of for this mod: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/attic-racks-made-cheap-and-easy-80-series.817208/

Not sure if there is a 60 series equivalent. It is always nice to see what the folks with different models are doing - gives new ideas! I also take a look at a couple of the clubhouses for anything that doesn't show up for the 80.

My 60 does not have the handles in same location. But the idea is there, and when I get it finished I
will put it up.

I'll post mine...going to start a link as soon as I figure it out...but I have a 1980 hj47, found it in cali...been looking for a very long time. I'm prepping it for a 17 day expedition thru the Rockies to Moab. Just started outfitting here so I will show My troopy with my rrt.(tepui gran sabana) Items coming are ARB fridge, winch-still wondering which one to buy, and a flat rack for rtt. Would love to install ARB lockers and lift with Ole man emu but wife says can't sell one of my kids so looks like I'm saving up for that one...anybody know some great spots to camp near lakes in the rockies? 20141112_151637.jpg

I'll post mine...going to start a link as soon as I figure it out...but I have a 1980 hj47, found it in cali...been looking for a very long time. I'm prepping it for a 17 day expedition thru the Rockies to Moab. Just started outfitting here so I will show My troopy with my rrt.(tepui gran sabana) Items coming are ARB fridge, winch-still wondering which one to buy, and a flat rack for rtt. Would love to install ARB lockers and lift with Ole man emu but wife says can't sell one of my kids so looks like I'm saving up for that one...anybody know some great spots to camp near lakes in the rockies?View attachment 965336
Lovely truck!
One step at a time.
RE fridge: I have found that may models share the same dimensions (lengeth/width) and only increase capacity by adding height.
A tall fridge in a tall truck becomes a pain to get stuff in and out of...
YMMV

Here are a couple.

tippy_spot.jpg

Tracks.jpg

Dino foot print in foreground.

Last edited:
CO_Hunter cool pics.. Do you have any pictures on that trailer, what have you done to it?

Thanks.

I built a frame around the top of the tub so the 1/8"aluminum lid would have a nice sealing surface. I also built it so that I can easily remove the lid and frame as a unit. The coupler has an adapter for the pintle hook so I can use a standard 2" ball. The trailer retained the military pintle hook so you can rotate it 360*, no binding. Stock military wheels. Not much else to it. It does track very nicely.

@ab1985, nice popup. I gave that option a hard look before pulling the trigger on a RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom