Killer in the hen house (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two nights free from predators so far. The three chickens left are still freaked out. The rooster is sleeping on the roost like normal. One hen Is trying to sleep in a nesting box and the other keeps trying to sleep in a tree. Luckily besides the ducks I still have my two best egg layers left.
I think I will try cruiserdan's idea of electric wire to keep out future predators. My parents have an old system at the ranch I can probably use.

Just lost 2 chickens the other night to raccoons. Normally locked up at night in the coop, but may have been left open? Pretty ugly seen, heads were gone and entrails eaten.Put a live trap out last night and caught a raccoon! They can be cute vicious monsters! Still have 8 hens, hard lesson to learn as the hens have become family members.They have not laid an egg since and are freaked out!

Just lost 2 chickens the other night to raccoons. Normally locked up at night in the coop, but may have been left open? Pretty ugly seen, heads were gone and entrails eaten.Put a live trap out last night and caught a raccoon! They can be cute vicious monsters! Still have 8 hens, hard lesson to learn as the hens have become family members.They have not laid an egg since and are freaked out!
I am still having to pull one hen from a tree every night and put her in the coop. I guess she is still afraid.

One of ours has a bite mark in her neck but seems ok and we got a couple eggs today, so things are getting better. Im going to run the live trap all week. Here in california you get arrested for shooting a coon!

Here in california you get arrested for shooting a coon!

By California Law you must convert that coon into becoming a peace-loving vegan :rolleyes:

Just a guess, but I would imagine otter tastes like chicken.

All my chickens are still safe. My neighbor did witness a hawk dive bomb one of his birds last week. We are going to get some new ducks in the next month or so once the we feel it's safe and secure.

Last week one of our neighbors had two coyotes tear into their flock. It's been a struggle in our neighborhood lately. I'm down to our rooster and one hen. We usually will hatch chicks around this time of year but with work schedule I think we are just going to find a couple laying hens for now.

The coyotes around here regularly clean out the neighborhood cat population.

Our two barn cats have been around for 8 years and they always elude the coyotes.
Cats seems fine around here. Even the rabbits seems safe. I can count around 5-10 in and around my yard every evening or morning. Only the chickens get killed. My neighbor who has the least protection for his flock has gone through over 50 chickens in the last two years. Once his chickens all get eaten then the predators start going to everyone else's chickens.

Got a call from the neighbor saying there is a dead deer next to my chicken coop. It's like a dealth zone lately.

We finally got more birds. Bought a few laying hens from the local feed store and got a few more with a rooster from a friend. Our rooster went MIA last weekend. With the lack of hens he had been roaming further from the house.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427389459.889398.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427389479.291323.jpg

Chain link with the bottom formed inside a concrete footer then the 1" chicken wire on the chain link. Then either a framed or chain link roof to keep the bobcats out. Birds can roam the yard only under dog and adult supervision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom