Desserts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Thought we had a "Desserts" thread but didn't find one if we do.

I make my own ricotta cheese...sounds difficult but its stupid easy and the resulting difference to even low volume local ricotta I buy at the store makes it a regular process. Making calzones (thanks for the shoehorn effect J :D) today and needed, well yes, ricotta!

So...I've been pouring the leftover whey down the drain for 30+ years and never gave it much thought until lately. Found several uses for the whey including this Lemon Meringue Whey Pie recipe from the Prairie Homestead.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/06/lemon-whey-pie.html

I think this is only the 2nd meringue anything pie I've made in 30+ years...not a huge fan of them I guess...but next time I'll drop the salt and vanilla. Otherwise its a damn tasty pie if I do say so myself :D

lemon meringue whey pie.jpg

I'm not a big dessert guy, how do you make the ricotta cheese?

Traditionally ricotta, which translates from Italian to English as "recooked", is made from the leftover whey from making mozzarella cheese. However this recipe is what I grew up with and doesn't use leftover whey...so maybe this should just be called "cotta" :D

Anyway here's how I make it:

(this recipe can be doubled)

1/2 gallon milk (whole milk is better and 100% grass fed whole milk results in the best flavor)
4t fresh grapefruit juice (Oro Blanco is killer) or white/white wine vinegar would be #2...lemon juice works too but has a bitter component I'm not fond of
1t kosher salt
2 rennet tablets dissolved in about 1/2C of the milk (if you let the tablets sit in the milk for 10-minutes they'll mix easily). Junket brand rennet can typically be found in larger grocery stores like Safeway in the canning area. Also Amazon.com sells it too.

Put all the ingredients into a large stock pot and mix thoroughly. With the pan over a low heat, heat the mixture gently until the cheese forms and you start to get small "eruptions" but NOT BOILING; this process usually takes about 25-30 minutes. The temp of the mixture will be 190-200*F when its time to turn the heat off (be sure to check several different temp locations as you'll notice a big temperature delta depending upon where you check the temp).

Turn off the heat and let the pan with the cheese mixture rest for at least an hour and 2-hours is even better. Strain the whey (yellow colored liquid) from the cheese in a cheese cloth lined colander/strainer. If you are making the ricotta for manicotti, calzones, ravioli, lasagna, etc. then you'll want to let the ricotta cheese curds sit in the cheese cloth to allow the whey to drain out (set the cheese still in the cheese cloth which is in the collander atop a plate/bowl and store in the refrigerator until you get the consistency you need).

Or if you want to eat it, like cottage cheese, then I prefer to have the ricotta more "loose"...so I just leave the cheese curds in the cheese cloth for only about 10-minutes or so...before placing the cheese into a glass container and into the refrigerator; YMMV.

Its also wonderful, as a simple savory appetizer with a little good EVO mixed in and spread on toast/bruschetta with chopped oven dried tomatoes, basil, etc. And its also super in the morning spread atop toast with a little honey or good preserves atop; inside an omelet, mixed into a marinara sauce, etc., I make it a couple times a month.

Shown are photos, in succession, from this week's ricotta making.

rennet.jpg
ricotta 1.jpg
ricotta 2.jpg
ricotta 3.jpg

Last edited:
This is great. I've been meaning to try making quest fresco so maybe I'll try this one out as well.

^ great! Please PM/post recipe for this one! Happy Birthday J!

^ great! Please PM/post recipe for this one! Happy Birthday J!

Your killing me Smalls.....

IT SURE IS GOOD!

Here you guys go.

J

COCONUT CREME BRULEE

· 1/2 cup plus 6 teaspoons sugar
· 6 large egg yolks
· 1 large egg
· 2 cups whipping cream
· 2/3 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
· 2/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place six 3/4-cup custard cups or ramekins in large roasting pan. Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and whole egg in large bowl to blend. Combine cream, coconut milk and coconut in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Temper the yokes with one cup of the boiling mixture then continue to whisk the remaining creme/milk. Pour custard into cups, dividing equally.

Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes. Remove from water. Cool; chill overnight.

Preheat broiler. Arrange custard cups on baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar evenly over each. Broil until sugar browns, rotating baking sheet for even browning and watching closely, about 2 minutes. Chill custards at least 1 hour before serving. (Can be broiled, then chilled up to 6 hours ahead.) (I USE A TORCH FOR THIS)

Yum!
HBD, congrats on another trip around Sol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom