FJ62 right rear quarter dent repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Paint and Body!

I've got what I think is a similar situation to this thread about repairing my dented up passenger rear quarter panel, but I think it may be salvageable and wanted to see if the body experts in here could determine if this could be fixed with a slide hammer/brute force. I popped out the main dent by taking out the back panel and pumping up a deflated soccer ball inside it. Seemed to work pretty good. The soccer ball didn't make it out alive though.

fj62 rear2.jpg

fj62 rear.jpg

My main problem lies in the bottom corner. This seems like a really small area to resort to getting a donor rear quarter and welding it in. My plan is to Monstaline the exterior with color matched pigment for the 8B2 Blue it is, so I'm not super worried about getting it completely straightened out. I just want to get the main shape back. The tailgate is another issue, but more than likely I'll end up just replacing it. It is pretty stuck though. I think the latch on the inside of it is broke.

fj62 rear3.JPG

Any thoughts? The Monstaliner project is still a ways off. I'm getting the interior sorted out right now, but I'd like to paint sometime this summer. Any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Take the taillight assembly off, you will be able to see the fasteners to the tailgate latch. I had a similar dent, but it was crushed up from below into the quarter, I used 2x2, 2x4 lumber poked into there from the interior and used a dead blow hammer, Rubber mallet or similar to pound the end of lumber carefully shaping it back. Not perfect, but vanity is not important.

Take the taillight assembly off, you will be able to see the fasteners to the tailgate latch. I had a similar dent, but it was crushed up from below into the quarter, I used 2x2, 2x4 lumber poked into there from the interior and used a dead blow hammer, Rubber mallet or similar to pound the end of lumber carefully shaping it back. Not perfect, but vanity is not important.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'm really just looking to get the general shape back to it. I'll post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom