keep the trailer of mount the RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm new the the forum and to the Land Cruiser community. I was just curious what people think of my trailer and if I should keep it or move the tent to the top of my (new to me) LC.

I built the trailer and pulled it for about 3 weeks all over the country behind a my honda accord. however I just bought a 80 and I have the option to build or buy a roof rack and just mount the tent up above.

The tent is a tapui autanua and it has the awning however the hight of the trailer isn't tall enough to use the connecting annex. I was gonna build a riser for the tent but didn't have enough time before my journey.

so my thoughts now are to either mount the tent on the LC or to update the suspension and tongue of the trailer so it is more off road capable.

I will be moving to Prescott AZ in a couple month and plan on doing some offloading and lots of camping in AZ and UT during the next two years.

If any of you are familiar with a company named compact camping concepts I basically just modeled my trailer off of that concept.

I like how all my cooking gear is in the front of the trailer and the back is open for storage of different gear. but I would also make something that goes in the back of the LC that does this as well.

I'm mostly concerned about towing a trailer off road. what if you have to back up while on tricky terrain and I'm sure there is other things I'm not thinking of.

I could probably mount the tent up top and just use it for the harder terrain but take the trailer with if its not any serious stuff.
IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

Prescott has both AT Trailers and Equipt 1. Two very fine and helpful vendors in the off road trailer community. More on Expo Portal than here, but search on tent risers there and you'll get lots of ideas on how to elevate the tent off the trailer to use the annex. Here's one thread. Pretty sure there are more. Search both the trailer and RTT sections.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78910-RTT-Lift-Option

Personally, I prefer the tent on my trailer. I do have one designed for the trailer tho (Eezi-Awn Globetrotter). With a tent on the LC, every time you want to leave camp, you have to break it down. On the trailer you don't! I've done a bit of offroading with my trailer. I guess in part you just need to be aware of is the trails you go on, ask in advance, etc. about the trail and whether it's suitable/passable for a trailer. Doing that, and being just a LITTLE conservative, I haven't caught myself in a situation where I've needed to back up with the trailer...yet!

Last edited:
Very good points. Thats the kind of insight I was looking for. I should probably keep the trailer and mod it. and then If I ever go somewhere I can't tow the trailer or if i need to to something else like a boat I can put the tent on top.

or at the very least....get pretty darn close to where you want to go, and leave the trailer set up as base camp.

By taking the weight of the gear and tent off the vehicle, it has to greatly improve overall performance.

or at the very least....get pretty darn close to where you want to go, and leave the trailer set up as base camp.

By taking the weight of the gear and tent off the vehicle, it has to greatly improve overall performance.

Exactly - you've towed your fair share of trailers too titanpat57! :cheers:

fzj80joe - just noticed your location you lucky :censor:. Best darned Toyota Parts Manager right in your backyard! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom