'11 GX460 Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife picked up a 2011 GX460... she says it looks woosy so going to step in a help her

Been poking around but havnet found much info on the 460s here on mud.

Tires..
She has stockers so was going to move to 285s with the stock rims (from what I read it should clear???)

Lift...
was thinking in the 2" range or lower... does OME make anything? Who are the other folks making lifts?

Air bags..
I am trying to figure out if she has the bags in the rear (no manual control on the shift consul). What should I look for under the truck?

OEM additions...
And... also trying to find more info on adding some of the OEM upgrades that her truck did not come with like crawl control, etc.

any help would be great! :beer:

I am in a similar boat (building wife's DD/ family vehicle).

With that being said:

Tires:

Not sure what aspect ratio you are thinking (285/XXR18) but 265/65R18s on stock wheels with a spidertrax 1.25" spacer just barely rub (on flat pavement) at full lock (outside of tire on center of front mudflap area - rear part of wheel well). I haven't noticed any other serious rubbing, but I haven't stuffed the tires either.

On ClubLexus there's a guy "Koz" running 275/65R18s with no spacers and they rub. I don't know the details but I think he solved it with a heat gun.

My best guess is that you will have significant rubbing with a 285 - minimum heat gun, maximum some cutting (a lot of 5th Gen 4runner guys do a body-mount chop, "BMC" or something - you can google it).
And despite what you may read, my PERSONAL experience is that a Michelin 265/65R18 spare doesn't fit a 2010 GX, so I would doubt if a bigger tire would.

Here's a good resource (using 285/70R18 vs stock as example).
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=265-60r18-285-70r18

Lift:

Best resource I found (granted, for Prados, but it will get you started):
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?20981-Suspension-Database

I did a lot of reading and research, and ended up with Dobinsons springs (Prado 150) and Koni struts/ shocks. I'm very happy with them. Dobinsons and Konis (with michelin tires) and the ride on pavement is light years better than stock suspension (with Bridgestones). I don't know exactly how much to attribute to each change, but my goal was to improve the ride of the vehicle on-road while increasing clearance off-road and i certainly succeeded (hopefully maintaining reliability - we'll see). Measuring off-road performance is tough, and I'm sure there a better off-road specific set ups (long travel, coil-over, etc), but read up about Dobinsons or Koni - both official and unofficial sources. It's hard to find bad stuff, and there's guys down in Australia really beating em up. If you decide to go this route, definitely get in touch with Brian (above post).

I'd love to do a comparison to a similar set up (150 platform with 2" lift), but haven't had the opportunity.

Airbags:

Walk outside and look under there: You will either see a spring on the rear axle or a bag (if you are asking about installing other features, I would guess you have springs).

OEM stuff:

With stock projectors, I think good aftermarket HIDs are an upgrade. Otherwise, I think adding things will be big $$$$/ small reward.

Last edited:
Just to let you know, if you do not have the second set of paddles on the center console means you have coils all the way around. (which is a good thing) -- ome does have an application for the vehicle.

I run a Radflo suspension on my '12 460. I'm still on the stock rear springs. The front coilovers, with 600 in/lbs springs, are good for about +.75" to +2" (they will not lower enough for true stock height in the front). I'm right at +1" on the front which levels the truck front to back and keeps the front off the bumpstops better on fire roads and snow, which is primarily what I use the truck for.

I'm happy with the performance. I worked with the now out of business Overland Warehouse on initial purchase and valving for my taste. I'm partial to slightly softer springs and firmer valving. I then worked directly with Radflo on one front valve stack change that I did myself.

What are folks doing for speedo and shift point correction with larger tires?

Tagged for interest. I just bought a '11 GX460 with the Ultra Premium Package so I know with the airbags and KDSS any lift will be pretty complicated. I would love to run a set of 285's though.

I ran Icon's stage 2 from MetalTech (Base 2010 w/ kdss and no bags). I had the adjustable coilovers and progressive springs in the back. I installed the set up with a friend, while time consuming, it wasn't anything to be intimidated about. I was really happy with the ride and handling after the lift.

What are folks doing for speedo and shift point correction with larger tires?

I haven't checked the Lexus with GPS, and given how small of an increase I'm not concerned. I've went up 4+ inches on tires size on other vehicles and ended up closer to indicated speed than stock (based on GPS). Seems like most vehicles on stock tires are 5% or so on the low side.

No troubles with shift points with the larger tires?

@TRD83 i've noticed the same thing in my previous toyotas and with my 5th gen.. that when i went to a 285/70/17 tire my speedo was now accurate.. some ppl don't believe me

I would be looking at OME BP-51....some great tech they came out with.

That's the system I'll be using.

The only other system I had was the Toytec 3" lift which I had over 60k on and not one issue.

When I wrote that Dobinson hadn't come to Mud here yet....i thinkk they warrant a good look as well.. I also would throw OME in that mix.

I haven't made my decision yet, but I'll certainly share my results

I plan to go with the Dobinson's setup; HD weights, just need to decide 2" or 3" and get the SPC UCAs~ Then figure out what 17" wheels to get to fit nicely and 285/70/17 tires that won't rub and fit best, etc. Looking at FN or Tandem maybe?

You might also want to check out Metal Tech Icon wheels. Nice looking wheels: Metal Tech 4x4 - Search Results for "icon wheels"
This is what I run on my rig: ICON Six Speed 17", bronze finish, Pt No: 1417858347BR with BFG LT285/75R17 M/T KM2

If you go to my build thread, I have everything I used listed on there. You can then see if anything I've done aligns with your build plans: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

Yeah I need to look at what the offset/bore info is as well. I haven't looked into it much yet but I know I want to just go ahead and get 17" wheels and tires before I upgrade to AT tires on these stock 18" wheels, sorta silly to spend the money there really at this point I think. Lift/sliders/wheels and tires might be my initial order, and skids but that's been challenging to find.

Yeah I need to look at what the offset/bore info is as well. I haven't looked into it much yet but I know I want to just go ahead and get 17" wheels and tires before I upgrade to AT tires on these stock 18" wheels, sorta silly to spend the money there really at this point I think. Lift/sliders/wheels and tires might be my initial order, and skids but that's been challenging to find.
Talk to Eric at YotaMasters (Yotamasters - Quality parts and service ) about a front skid plate. I accidentally ordered two (both brand new, in the box) for my 2013 GX and only used one. He should still have the other one for sale. I already paid for it and asked if he could sell the second one for me. He should be able to give you a good price for it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll talk to him about getting it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom