OK, The Project BEGINS!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
0127051058.jpg
This is my 1983 SR5 4x4. I won't go into how it got in it's present condition, but the pack rats had a lot to do with it. The truck has been sitting in my garage for well over 10 years. With a little prodding, I have decided to get it back on the road! I would like to do a few upgrades and would love any suggestions that I can get! I'm thinking breaks, radiator and cooling system, electrical system, and suspension. Yes? No? In other words, HELP!!!

More pics. And you are on the right track to get it rolling. Is it a wheening rig too

I'll take more pics when I inflate the tires and roll it out of the garage. I am the original owner!

Holy cow that is sweet. Yes, we need more pics.

Sitting that long will probably mean that every seal and gasket will leak. I wouldn't even try to rescue the brakes (breaks), just replace everything (calipers, master, cylinders, pads, shoes). Get ready to have to replace every seal on the engine. Seals don't like to sit still for long.

I am taking it to a Toyota place. Going to pull the engine and transmission and rebuild both, replace the clutch, replace the exhaust...Just wondering if I should up grade the breaks to bigger discs and calipers?

Depends on what your plans are. Lift and bigger tires and extra weight? Or just keep it close to stock?

That is in pretty good shape for an 83. You have the perfect situation to know what you had and where its weakness were. If the brakes always bugged you...then yea, upgrade. If not, leave well enough alone.

You can upgrade to vented rotors and V6 4Runner calipers, with a larger master cylinder and booster, but you might have clearance issues with your wheels.

You should flatbed it to a body shop while the engine is out, have it repainted. :cool:

Depends on what your plans are. Lift and bigger tires and extra weight? Or just keep it close to stock?
I'm going to keep it pretty much stock. Go one size bigger on tires, and a few mechanical tweeks like the cooling system.

You can upgrade to vented rotors and V6 4Runner calipers, with a larger master cylinder and booster, but you might have clearance issues with your wheels.

You should flatbed it to a body shop while the engine is out, have it repainted. :cool:
That was something I was thinking about. Should I stay with the same paint job?

I always took care of the truck. Never took it out and tore it up. Upgrading the breaks was just a thought. I upgraded the breaks on my 2002 Tundra. But that is a heavier truck. The 83 is pretty light. I would like to find a way to get a little more horse power out of the engine. Anybody have any suspension suggestions?

Woops! I made the mistake to respond directly to some of the comments instead of posting for everyone to see. The plan is, once the engine and tranny are out, take it to be painted. Should I stay with the original paint scheme? The painter that I am thinking of using is right down the street. Should I pull the bed and fenders myself so he can start on them, or just let him deal with the truck intact? SOOOO many questions!!!

Sorry...I keep putting 'breaks' instead of 'brakes' DAMN PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

Public Schools have Summer break, Winter break, and Spring break. However, cars have brakes.

This truck was my daily driver, and I would like to get it back to that. The modifications that I would like to make are to make the truck even better then it was. Any rust on the truck is surface rust and won't be an issue. When I have the truck re painted, I want to grind down the spot wells along the side of the bed, but that would be about it. I am toying with adding a sunroof, but I'm not sure.

I have an aftermarket sun roof. And my only issue with it is that now I have a major weak spot if I ever roll this truck. That's one issue you might want to consider

This type of a project is a very slippery slope, having been there myself. Decide now some boundaries on what you will and won't do. I ended up doing too much, and it took me 4 years and a lot of $$$. Every single nut & bolt was turned, everything got painted or plated, etc. Decide if you want to end up doing this.

That being said, if you can and can afford it, I think it would look awesome to get the same paint color and pattern. I love how those trucks look with that 2-tone paint, but it's a lot more expensive to do that over.

I considered adding a sunroof to mine, but I would only accept a factory roof. I had an entire roof from a 4Runner and a couple of spare glass panels, so I had all the parts, but 2 different body guys talked me out of it, due to structural concerns. The trucks with factory sunroofs had extra ribbing and bracing in the roof. It would have been better if I had cut a roof off another Xtra cab at the pillars, and welded it to my cab. I just balked at doing that, so I went without. The aftermarket roofs are all too small and they tend to leak, which are both deal breakers for me. Maybe they are better now.

Interesting perspective waxer! Getting the truck back on the road is the first step. Having the engine and the tranny rebuilt, the front seals replaced, and the problem with the carburetor fixed, is step one. None of the things mentioned will be done by me. After it's running I can make the decisions as to how far I want to go. Replacing headlights, gutting the interior, increasing air flow into the engine and many other things, I can do later. As for the paint, I think I have decided to stay with the original color and pattern. You don't see a lot of that paint job around! Both my son and my wife are all for me getting this truck back on the road. As for the cost, my wife is aware of how much it might be and shes good with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom