Chicken Wings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don't know if anyone has done this one. Or at least I did not see it.
It is an overcast foggy weekend. Me and my boys are gonna make some wings and rent some red box movies.
Wondering :
Soak in butter milk, or wet marinade, or season/dry marinade
Oven, grill, or fried -- battered or not?
We will purchase some sauces, and will mix our own/create.
OK fellow Mudders whatda got
-Jim

I go simple. Bust up the wing (if you buy whole wings), toss in whatever buffalo sauce or other sauce you like. I cook them hot in my drum smoker, when the skin is starting to crisp, baste with more sauce and finish. I might try a hybrid style recipe that includes battering and grilling. We don't fry a lot in my house.

I go simple. Bust up the wing (if you buy whole wings), toss in whatever buffalo sauce or other sauce you like. I cook them hot in my drum smoker, when the skin is starting to crisp, baste with more sauce and finish. I might try a hybrid style recipe that includes battering and grilling. We don't fry a lot in my house.
That's about what I do...

Well we did two batches, embarrassed cause this was my first with wings, but relied on past experiences with grilled chicken. Did a dry rub and some in S & P and grilled with JD wood chips, did others in the fryer. Got creative with my sons and made sauces, and used stuff outa the bottle, and gotta say that I liked 'em grilled/smoked over the frying method. I am guessing that most of the variations will be with the sauce.
Here are some of ours:
Honey Chipotle: 3 to 4 chilies out of a can of chipotles on adobo
1/4 cup of honey
1 small can (4 or 6 floz?) of tomato sauce
1 good sploosh of mole
Turned out good but on the warm side, with a slow sneaky burn.

Asian style (for the ball n chain)
6 or so floz of soy sauce
another big shot of honey
a shot of sesame teriyaki
a shake of granulated garlic
Wife liked it so much that she was dipping her veggies (side dish) in the "new" sauce.

Well may be after we get past the grill, oven, smoker, fryer issue, how about a sauce thread?

-Jim

Rusty, that sounds good, but I am still getting used to sriacha.
JVee, thanks for the reference, did not know that it went 4 pages, I will have to return to the site to read completely.

Rusty, that sounds good, but I am still getting used to sriacha.
JVee, thanks for the reference, did not know that it went 4 pages, I will have to return to the site to read completely.
You could use the same method with any sauce. For wings nothing beats Franks Wing sauce IMHO.

We do spicy wings in the oven with a Korean-influenced honey-chili sauce. The wings are pretty simple--cut (if needed) and wash, then pat dry. dredge in seasoned flour, then dip in butter milk then cover in panko bread crumbs. bake in the oven on a rack on top of a cookie sheet. I bake for about 45 minutes at 375F. The original recipe I found used a higher temperature (375) for 25 minutes then reduce to lower temp (350), but I find this depends on your oven, etc. Juices should be clear and the bread crumbs slightly browned. The chicken needs to be cooked, but the bread crumbs don't need to be evenly browned because you will cover them in the sauce anyway...

For the sauce, I use this recipe.

Instead of a full 1/2 cup sriracha, I use a combination of Korean chili paste (gochujang) and sriracha. I also mince a little garlic and put it into the pot when cooking.

so you bake the wings, make the sauce, cover the wings in the sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy. In the pic below, the "red" ones are the Korean chile. The "brown" ones are korean BBQ sauce out of a jar (not as good!).
10707649_10204957146792695_1579878873_o.jpg

edit: I'm doing them this weekend and I will try dusting the wings first with baking powder (see the video in a post above) before dredging in flour to see if I can crisp up the skin a little more.

We do spicy wings in the oven with a Korean-influenced honey-chili sauce. The wings are pretty simple--cut (if needed) and wash, then pat dry. dredge in seasoned flour, then dip in butter milk then cover in panko bread crumbs. bake in the oven on a rack on top of a cookie sheet. I bake for about 45 minutes at 375F. The original recipe I found used a higher temperature (375) for 25 minutes then reduce to lower temp (350), but I find this depends on your oven, etc. Juices should be clear and the bread crumbs slightly browned. The chicken needs to be cooked, but the bread crumbs don't need to be evenly browned because you will cover them in the sauce anyway...

For the sauce, I use this recipe.

Instead of a full 1/2 cup sriracha, I use a combination of Korean chili paste (gochujang) and sriracha. I also mince a little garlic and put it into the pot when cooking.

so you bake the wings, make the sauce, cover the wings in the sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy. In the pic below, the "red" ones are the Korean chile. The "brown" ones are korean BBQ sauce out of a jar (not as good!).View attachment 1021387

edit: I'm doing them this weekend and I will try dusting the wings first with baking powder (see the video in a post above) before dredging in flour to see if I can crisp up the skin a little more.

I've had good luck with crisper skin, by laying out the wings on a pan in the fridge after cleaning and busting them up.

Rusty rusty rusty, Franks is almost all vinegar, don't like it or Tabasco. You gotta create your own heat, and seeing what others are doing, that may mean cooking your heat in with butter. I can't just take something out'a tha bottle, I gotta screw around with it.

Rusty rusty rusty, Franks is almost all vinegar, don't like it or Tabasco. You gotta create your own heat, and seeing what others are doing, that may mean cooking your heat in with butter. I can't just take something out'a tha bottle, I gotta screw around with it.
IMHO the acidity of Franks balances the fatty wings very nicely. Tabasco is good with sausage and eggs for the same reason.

Some stuff is good just the way it is. :meh:

Whatever Alvarado Brewery is serving...at this end anyway :)

I saw this one last night and can't wait to try it out.

Just did these... The honey/siracha mix is too sweet and not spicy enough IMO. We did three batches one with honey/siracha, one just regular hot sauce, and one just a bit of salt. The salt were my favorite.

The crispness was perfect.

Tried the receipe from the link I posted

:meh:

To salty and not as crisp as I had expected. The sauce was the best part, next time I'll double the rice wine vinegar and reduce the honey, and replace the Sriacha with Korean garlic chili sauce. The Sriacha was to mild for my taste and I'd like more acid bite with less sweetnes.

Tried the oven fried detour using the baking powder and salt trick. They did go in and out of the oven...but fried they weren't. For the two or three times a year I get a hanker'n for wings: A). I'll just go to a pub and enjoy them or B) Fry the effing wings and enjoy the real deal and quit trying to come up with a pseudo way of frying without really frying.

My favorite recipe is from Jeff Smith's first cook book. It calls for Wok frying which works out very well, not a lot of oil to dispose of and not to much mess.

Tried the oven fried detour using the baking powder and salt trick. They did go in and out of the oven...but fried they weren't. For the two or three times a year I get a hanker'n for wings: A). I'll just go to a pub and enjoy them or B) Fry the effing wings and enjoy the real deal and quit trying to come up with a pseudo way of frying without really frying.
I told Mrs Rusty about this post, she knows what a good cook you are and was glad to hear it wasn't just us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom