1969 FJ55 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My transfer case is apparently missing a spacer. I found an exploded view and I think part #7 is what I need, but it doesn't show the transfer case for reference, so i'm not sure. The spacer goes in front of the gear pictured. Anyone able to help?

Rodney,

First the gear, then the spacer. Do you have the PTO gear? It goes on next. I'm not sure what size spacer you use if not running the PTO gear. Get a hold of Georg at Valley Hybrids, he should have what you need.

Sorry, I was on the wrong tab when I posted above. Looking at the proper tab, is the top diagram (with 2 gears) the part I'm looking at meaning part #11 is what I'm needing.

Coincidentally, if that's the case, then this transfer case was also missing part #9, as the shaft in the picture only had a single gear (also pictured) on it :(

Ahh, Ron, you may be a genius! So my shaft had gear 10, no pto gear and a spacer longer than that pictured. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how this had worked before without that second gear

Just to clarify, I have gear #10, but it needs what I was calling a spacer to give it proper clearance from the front of the case, but the part I actually need is #11 which is labeled as a gear stop. I didn't realize you could omit the pto gear, but my case already has what I believe to be the proper spacer to run without the pto gear because the spacer is longer than the one shown and long enough that a second gear wouldn't even fit on the shaft with that spacer.

Rodney,

You better check with somebody, other than me. I can't remember that front spacer. What year is your split case?

I just checked a 84 manual and it doesn't show that front spacer. Better hold off, until confirmed.

Rodney,

You better check with somebody, other than me. I can't remember that front spacer. What year is your split case?

I just checked a 84 manual and it doesn't show that front spacer. Better hold off, until confirmed.

Thanks Ron. I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in, but I think 11 must be right. Without it the gear sits against the metal ridges shown in the pic and would tear up the case if it tried to spin.

That being said, my previous statement still stands about your genius. I hadn't considered the possibility that the wider spacer was intentional to delete the pto gear. The PTO gear was in the exploded view so my brain assumed I was supposed to have it.

As for the year of my case, I don't know what it came off of and when I called over to Jessi's he couldn't find a serial number on it.

I cut a spacer out if a piece of 1 1/4" tube(I think that was the size can't remember) clean it up nice,slides right over the shaft. You don't want it tight. Needs to turn freely when everything is compressed

Rodney,

Check out this post on rebuilding a case. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transfer-assembly-with-pictures.487813/

It doesn't show any spacer before the gear, either. Is your gear turned the wrong way?

Thanks Ron. I've tried the gear on both ways and it pushes up against the housing so I think a spacer must be necessary. I'm not sure this picture demonstrates it very well, but here it is with the gear pushed back.

I cut a spacer out if a piece of 1 1/4" tube(I think that was the size can't remember) clean it up nice,slides right over the shaft. You don't want it tight. Needs to turn freely when everything is compressed

Thanks Sawtooth. I know there were a few modifications on the split cases through the 80's. Maybe that accounts for the lack of spacer in Rons and in the build he posted.

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Sorry for the lack of response Pablo.

Yes. I started by ordering a spacer from sor. They had 4 and I ordered the wrong one, so I just had a spacer machined to give the proper clearance and gear alignment. I think it will be just fine, though when I get it running if I shift the Tcase and it bends itself into a heap of scrap metal, I'll know otherwise.

I've been just swamped with "busy work" that has kept me from spending time on the forums to update my build or catch up on everyone elses. I'm hoping to rectify that this week.

Ok, I'll try to get caught up without being overly verbose. Please excuse the crappy pics

Had a roll cage put in the cab. I wanted a full cage, but felt the front tie ins were going to block the side vents and generally get in the way so it stops at the front seatbacks.

After 6 months of waiting, this beauty arrived in my driveway. Anyone care to guess what it is?

This was my first dash design. I didn't like the transition for the glove compartment so I decided to take another shot at it.

Wiring and switches for the dash. I was initially going to go all lit rocker switches, but had a change of heart and decided to go with simpler design. I wanted a knob controls for the wiper and headlights for some reason. I also really wanted a red pull knob for hazard lights, but had A LOT more trouble finding what I had pictured in my mind than I imagined. Before I was able to found it, I came across something else that I decided I liked better (don't have it in yet). Stuck with the wiper and headlight knows and going with toggle switches for the majority of the other accessories. Couldn't find a fuse box that allowed for 22 circuits, so I ended up with 2 12 circuit boxes.

While I'm trying to keep everything mechanical, my one conceit was in the radio. I new I wanted to take advantage of apples carplay to hook my iphone into it, so opted for a pioneer 8000nex

My second shot at a dash which I was really happy with until I got back on here and saw Jmack's :bang:. Well, this will just have to do. My glovebox door is in pretty rough shape and it didn't occur to me to reskin the door mechanism, so I'm going to go with a new aluminum door.

The dash above is still in the rough. corners will be radiused and top extends back to the window with holes for the defrost vents. There will also be a box behind the lower part to help hide wiring. You can also see a piece of metal in the passenger...can you call it a floor board in this condition? I'm thinking we'll weld this to extend the passenger side of the firewall hump (the area Jmack and Ron have their AC units mounted to). This extension will give me enough width to mount the restomod air unit here fairly easily (Jessi's idea which I have mixed feelings about).

As you can see it's progressing painfully slow, but at least its heading in the right direction. Feels like more should have been done since my last post, but weather and other unwanted delays keep showing up. The most recent was when we were going to spray the lizard skin heat and noise layers. When the buckets were opened, the stuff had turned to concrete. Unfortunately, even though they were being opened for the first time, they were actually purchased six months ago, so returning isn't an option :censor:. You live and you learn.

After 6 months of waiting, this beauty arrived in my driveway. Anyone care to guess what it is?

While I'm trying to keep everything mechanical, my one conceit was in the radio. I new I wanted to take advantage of apples carplay to hook my iphone into it, so opted for a pioneer 8000nex

No idea what it is! What have you been waiting 6 months for?

Also, no idea WTF Apple Car Play is. I guess that means I am getting old. Is it just a Bluetooth connection btwn phone and head unit?

That's my rear bumper from 4x4 labs! Dual swing outs with tire carrier on one, ladder on the other. Ladder has a swing out 2 jerry can holder and bumper. I still have a ways before It can actually be put on, but I'm still pretty excited about it

As for car play. It is a way to emulate an iphone on a stereo so that you can use siri voice command and use your phones gps, music apps, contacts etc. This one is a full featured radio/gps, but with carplay, you can just buy a head unit without any other functionality and have your phone do everything. You can stream music over bluetooth, but full functionality requires a cable. I'll have a charging doc that will hold the phone at a convenient location near my knee and have the cable routed to the radio to charge the phone and connect. With it connected like this, you can actually activate the phone hands free by just saying "hey siri". Like I said, its my one conceit to modern technology

Rodney,

That's a great update, a lot to look at. The Lizard Skin has an expiration date, so when buying look for the freshest man. date on the tub. I've found some times they sit around the store for a while. Call LS before you buy more, maybe they can help. Mixing a small amount of water in with it will help, especially the Ceramic heat control.

Good idea on the vent screws, I just used my ninja fingers. :)

On the radio, I'd have to go back to school, in order to work it. Cool stuff!

Good to have you back!

You can also see a piece of metal in the passenger...can you call it a floor board in this condition? I'm thinking we'll weld this to extend the passenger side of the firewall hump (the area Jmack and Ron have their AC units mounted to). This extension will give me enough width to mount the restomod air unit here fairly easily (Jessi's idea which I have mixed feelings about).

When I mocked up my A/C unit I did it without any ducting nor did I pay attention to the depth of some of my other accessories like the radio and how the ducts would need to be ran around it. If I had to do it over I would have assembled all my ducting first then worked backwards from there finding the best location for the A/C unit, I’m thinking it would have been easier to mount it on the passenger’s side firewall and moved the wiper motor if needed.

FYI, I have zero free space behind my dash panels and even small things like running my boost and oil pressure lines are becoming a challenge.

Good luck the dash looks great!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom