Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks!

Yes, Gunner loves his boots... but, I'm trying to teach him to dodge the cactus... he came home after our last trip with a bad rash on the inside of his left hind leg, from rubbing a cactus. When we play ball, he sounds like a horse running at me!!

Danny,

All that stuff hanging around would drive me crazy, and it looks like you are going to set up a flea market :pig:,

Why not make some custom shaped storage bin(s) combined with a nice flat sitting area for Gunner, changed in place of the passenger chair when you travel, evenso you could sleep flat at that side of the truck in times of bad weather.

:cheers:

You'll be happy to know that, after this last trip, I've decided to rework my storage - we need more headroom when we are sleeping in 44. I always carry my tent, cot, etc. (in case I want to pitch the tent), so think I will find or build a box that fits the back half of my roof rack. I can carry this stuff there and not worry if it gets wet. But, I'm restricted to a depth of 8" (203mm) - want to be able to pull into my garage, with the box in place. I'll figure something out, maar, dat is echte jammer!!!

Cool photos, Danny........But where are the TREES! ;)

Maybe that explains as to why he doesn't have a winch on his rig due to the lack of trees in the Nevada bush, but they do manufacture land anchors, so Danny there's no excuse get a winch! :idea:

Cool photos, Danny........But where are the TREES! ;)

This coming from someone in the southeast where there are no mountains?! And yes, there are plenty of trees in Nevada, he just wasn't high enough in altitude. Mt. Charleston (almost 12,000 ft) has awesome pine trees on it... ;)

I have a Come-Along and a Hi-Lift Jack (with winching accessories) - I looked at PullPal and looked at the rock and looked at PullPal and looked at the rock... and decided, I'm more likely to get hi-centered than anything, so I can jack it up and push it sideways and get stuck again... I have yet to drive in an area that isn't extremely rocky.

But, the dry lake, on Alamo Road, is closed to vehicles... the playa dust is so bad that 4x4s get stuck and it's a life threatening situation... you are almost 50 miles from the Visitor Center and about 30 miles from the nearest cell phone reception. This is why I carry a SPOT and plenty of batteries... EDIT: And plenty of water!!! ...and plenty of food... and proper clothing to protect from sun... and GUNNER!!

If I ever drive where I think a winch would be an asset, I'll buy one... believe me, I mulled this over for some time, but I've been comepley comfortable without it thus far... famous last words...

Last edited:
This coming from someone in the southeast where there are no mountains?! And yes, there are plenty of trees in Nevada, he just wasn't high enough in altitude. Mt. Charleston (almost 12,000 ft) has awesome pine trees on it... ;)

Hey Riley!! How's your build coming? ...have you started on Shondell's 40 yet?

Yeah, I parked under a tree last week!! On Morman Well Road... Desert Pass with Ponderosa Pine at 6200'

0129412ee2bfa0d5402289f2635d1ef0fd26bdb741.jpg

Also, Hidden Forest, in the DNWR, is an almost 6 mile hike to 9k' and Bristlecone Pine - or, you can continue on (17 mile roundtrip hike) to 9912' (Hayford Peak - highest peak in the Sheep Range).

FWIW I drove the 66 mile Mt Wilson Scenic Byway (dirt, single lane, up to 11k+') a couple of years ago, in my Tundra - needed 4WD in places (it was still cold and icy), for sure - but, what views!! Great drive!!

Touché.......Our mountains (mole hills to some), although not as Rocky, they are Smokey! :hillbilly:

You'll be happy to know that, after this last trip, I've decided to rework my storage - we need more headroom when we are sleeping in 44. I always carry my tent, cot, etc. (in case I want to pitch the tent), so think I will find or build a box that fits the back half of my roof rack. I can carry this stuff there and not worry if it gets wet. But, I'm restricted to a depth of 8" (203mm) - want to be able to pull into my garage, with the box in place. I'll figure something out, maar, dat is echte jammer!!!

Honestly I had other ideas of your trips in the big outdoors, I had visions of a tipi tent with only basic artefacts used.

But seeing the pillow, blanket and nice tennis shoes of Gunner it seems like 5 stair camping.

Wouldn't switching to a FJ43 or Fj45 be better ?, then you could carry a stove and fridge and you don't need to make all these boxes ;)

Ja toch ?

Honestly I had other ideas of your trips in the big outdoors, I had visions of a tipi tent with only basic artefacts used.

But seeing the pillow, blanket and nice tennis shoes of Gunner it seems like 5 stair camping.

Wouldn't switching to a FJ43 or Fj45 be better ?, then you could carry a stove and fridge and you don't need to make all these boxes ;)

Ja toch ?

Right... except, my heart and my time is in 44 and I'm too old to change. ...and I carry this stove in a small pocket in my backpack - it runs off butane/propane canisters and fits it the little "Royal Dutch" color (orange) box, shown in one of the pictures. The box, with the stove is only 3.15" x 2.36" x 1.81" - I've learned to balance a frying pan on it quite well!! A fridge would be nice in the summer... but, no need this time of year.

As far as the 5-star camping... just because I like camping 80 kilometers from my nearest neighbor, doesn't mean Gunner has to suffer!!

Personally, I hike barefooted and quit using more than a bed of cactus needles, with a large rock for a pillow, many years ago. But, Gunner likes his creature comforts and I gotta make life comfortable for my best buddy!!

Soms overdrijf ik , weet je?

I forgot to mention... I saw two Golden Eagles yesterday... couldn't get a picture, with my iPhone... to busy steering with my left hand and working my hand throttle, with my right. They sure are majestic birds!!

Tot de volgende keer!!

Right... except, my heart and my time is in 44 and I'm too old to change. ...and I carry this stove in a small pocket in my backpack - it runs off butane/propane canisters and fits it the little "Royal Dutch" color (orange) box, shown in one of the pictures. The box, with the stove is only 3.15" x 2.36" x 1.81" - I've learned to balance a frying pan on it quite well!! A fridge would be nice in the summer... but, no need this time of year.

As far as the 5-star camping... just because I like camping 80 kilometers from my nearest neighbor, doesn't mean Gunner has to suffer!!

Personally, I hike barefooted and quit using more than a bed of cactus needles, with a large rock for a pillow, many years ago. But, Gunner likes his creature comforts and I gotta make life comfortable for my best buddy!!

Soms overdrijf ik , weet je?

I forgot to mention... I saw two Golden Eagles yesterday... couldn't get a picture, with my iPhone... to busy steering with my left hand and working my hand throttle, with my right. They sure are majestic birds!!

Tot de volgende keer!!

Great, plz keep us informed of your trips

More!!

Oregon does have some areas that look similar to your pics of the open desert country. However it is without the cactus, unless there may be some so small you don't see or think of them as being so prickly. But, most of the areas of Oregon east of the Cascades that I can easily get to are like your last pic with varying amounts of trees (usually pine and juniper) and lots of dry dusty terrain.

The big problem with this is the distance I have to drive to get there. It is about 80 miles, across the Cascade Mountains, from my place by way of Hwy 22 to Suttle Lake. Suttle Lake is where the hwy starts dropping into the Metolius River Basin. Still lots of trees, but the terrain starts changing from fir type trees, so thick that sometimes a flea could hide there, to the more open pine trees and then to the sage brush and juniper. I could go on and on about the Metolius country, but I'm hijacking your thread.

If you ever get up this way it would be a privilege to show off the Metolius River area. There are other places in Oregon with their own type of beauty, but the Metolius is the closest to where I live.

Don

Great write-up! You have my undying respect as a guy who gets 'out there'! My 40 is sitting while I finish my 60 and this thread is
an inspiration to reprioritize. I so miss my 40 on the trail.
You mentioned cargo space and I have an idea I've used in my 40. Using the horizontal bars inside on your roll cage, clamp a basket
or board across inside. You will lose a bit of headspace, but you will keep everything inside. Good security, and out of sun/dust.
I'd say rain and snow, but that's where I'm from, not where you are from.
I will one day drive down to visit, I'd enjoy a tour of your mountains from an expert! J

Pngunme,

Thanks a lot! Just spent the hour reading about your adventures. You're doing exactly what the 40 was made for. Glad you're enjoying your retirement.

Hopefully this year, I'll be doing the same with my 55. Keep up the good work!

@handcannon Thanks Don! I'll definitely get hold of you if I ever come up that far - sounds great!!

@cruiserpilot Thanks! And thanks for the suggestions! I'm doing exactly what I hoped to do when I bought it. Just took me several months to iron out some wrinkles and make sure I felt comfortable taking it 'way out there' and being able to deal with most issues that can come up. For anything I can't fix, I have my SPOT, my Wife has my 4WD Tundra (with the tow bar), my Son-in-Law (in Texas, to remotely navigate for her) and the knowledge to contact 'local' law enforcement, should the need arise. I also subscribe to GEOS insurance (with my SPOT), in the extreme event, I need to be airlifted out of a 'situation'. I believe that everything, in life, is a 'situation'... so, I try to mitigate risks by not putting myself in a situation that it simply too risky - especially, since I am all alone out there... well, not really, Gunner's got my back!!

@scrapdaddy Thanks Ron! Im defintely enjoying retirement!! Hope you get out 'there' soon!!

Well, this week our adventure has been in the garage...

Power Steering Gearbox developed a slight leak around the input shaft. I pulled it and was going to send it to West Texas Off-Road. But @redrock PM'd me and told me about a place here in Vegas that has rebuilt several for him.

I carted it down to their new location and left it overnight. They took it apart and inspected it and said the gears were all in great shape, all it needed was a re-seal. $140, a year warranty, quick turn around and peace of mind.

While I had no problem pulling the Pittman (I had it off several months ago, the rag joint is pretty much shot. So, I am awaiting the delivery of a new rag joint. Then the gearbox will go back on.

In the meantime, I had new brake soft lines from Onur (@beno), so I drained the reservoirs and started bleeding the old fluid out of the lines. When I got to the passenger-front, I found the bleeder valve cross threaded. After about 1.5 hours, i was seriously considering pulling the caliper and buying another. I finally got it loose with a huge pair of channel locks.

Turned out the threads were fine. I chased them on the caliper - no problem - lucky me!! ... And the disc and drum brakes look fine!!

Obviously, I needed a new bleeder valve, at that point, so I went to O'Rielly and they ordered 9412-2 (overnight). The next morning (Thur), I went to pick it up and found they had filled 9412-S... Instead of 9412-2. So, they ordered the right one from PHX, this time. I picked it up this morning and finished replacing my soft lines and bleeding the brakes. May have to bleed again after the power steering is hooked up again and I can run the engine.

So, now I'm watching the rain fall and waiting for my rag joint or the Super Bowl... Whichever comes first. Gunner is anxious to go out again... I think the next trip will be to the Meadow Valley Wilderness Area.

The best and most exciting event of this past week, was visiting with Riley (@jetranger) and seeing/hearing his UZJ40!! What a great rig!! A 40 on steroids!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom